Military Dress Uniform - Female

electro

I've read a lot of post about men in the military wearing their dress uniform on formal nights.

Has anyone ever seen a woman wear her military dress uniform on a cruise?

What would you think of it?

Lois

I've read a lot of post about men in the military wearing their dress uniform on formal nights.

Has anyone ever seen a woman wear her military dress uniform on a cruise?

What would you think of it?

Lois

Lois,

Formal Uniforms and Mess Dress are considered formal for both men and women.

The "rules" and guidelines are Unisex in this instance.

So, if you decide to do it - go right ahead...

And if I see you or any other man or woman wearing this on formal night, I will thank you for your service and buy you a drink.;)

As a former Marine, I can say that while my dress blues would have been completely appropriate, I didn't even wear them to the Marine Birthday Ball, as there are so few chances to dress up in a formal dress, that I chose to go that way. Now that I'm older, I might well opt for the uniform if I was still active duty, though I'd hate to pack it for a cruise.

While it's appropriate, it's not very "festive"...

Have you actually ever seen any of these Formal Uniforms or Mess Dress? They may not be "festive", as in covered with sequins, but they are elegant and the women look every bit as good as the men do in their uniforms. They certainly look a lot better put together than some civilian women who don't seem to get the idea of "Formal Dress".

I noticed that female officers who work aboard the HAL ships dress up in their Dress Uniforms for formal nights and they look very classy and elegant.

Valerie:)

I wore mine on my first cruise back from Baghdad in 2007 after DH talked me into wearing it. (He also wore his.) Long story short, he got lots of 'thanks for your service Senior!' while I got funny looks and asked where the dining room was. Never again for this chicky. From now on, I'll save the room in the suitcase for another dress or more shoes. :D

Thanks everyone.

I appreciate all the nice comments.

Too bad you all weren't sailing on the same cruise as me, I could save a lot of money on drinks:D

Btw, I'm in the Canadian Air Force, not US so you could thank me for serving your neighbour's country:o

Lois

Thanks everyone.

Btw, I'm in the Canadian Air Force, not US so you could thank me for serving your neighbour's country:o

Lois

We thank you Canadians, the British, the Australians, the New Zealanders and all our other allies every day for your service. It is because of your service that we civilians can sleep easy in our beds at night - but it is a joint effort - not one of our countries could do it alone.

God bless and have a wonderful cruise.

Valerie:)

Wear it proudly. Like you, I am a woman in the Canadian Air Force. I have worn my Mess Kit on a cruise and received a number of postive comments. BTW, I think it is an elegant uniform and I do feel dressed up when I wear it.

It does take more room to pack, but if you have the space go for it.

Pamela

I wore mine on my first cruise back from Baghdad in 2007 after DH talked me into wearing it. (He also wore his.) Long story short, he got lots of 'thanks for your service Senior!' while I got funny looks and asked where the dining room was. Never again for this chicky. From now on, I'll save the room in the suitcase for another dress or more shoes. :D

How sad! I agree it is more than appropriate for male or female and I too say thanks to both of you for your service.

As a former Marine, I can say that while my dress blues would have been completely appropriate, I didn't even wear them to the Marine Birthday Ball, as there are so few chances to dress up in a formal dress, that I chose to go that way. Now that I'm older, I might well opt for the uniform if I was still active duty, though I'd hate to pack it for a cruise.

Does the Marine dress uniform include a sword? That might make things interesting, especially at the TSA security site.

DON

Thanks everyone.

Too bad you all weren't sailing on the same cruise as me, I could save a lot of money on drinks:D

Lois

I think that nothing is wrong with either a female or male wearing their Military dress uniform for formal nights. You are honoring everyone when wearing it!!

On my cruise last year, at my dining table sat Ron. He was retired from the Royal Canadian Air Force. He fought in the battle of Britain and also in Asia. He worn his medals to dinner on formal night. I and others at the table were eager to learn about his service and the medals. Below is a picture of his medals.

Wear your uniform with pride girlfriend!!!

DSCF0649.jpg.81826511bf43654dd1cc6331f591de7d.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is a great thread. I am in the Cdn Army, and my mess dress is bright red so very, very festive. Lots of positive comments - except one from a redneck doughead - "Canada has a military?" I'll never do it again as the airline lost my luggage and I was panicked about losing my uniform for a few days. All turned out well, but it stays home now whenever we cruise.

Guessing you are both in the Navy? Or at least your DH? I was debating wearing mine...(DH and I are in the Navy, he is a chief and I am a E-5) and then I read your post. I don't believe I will be taking it, but I could change my mind I guess. The last time I wore my uniform in public like that I was in an airport and people kept asking where the bathrooms were...;)...I totally feel your pain...

DH is definitely wearing his, it is our 10 yr anniversary cruise and he wore his uniform in our wedding pics, he was an E-3 and now he is an E-7...the pics will look good on the wall...

Since there are 2 formal nights how about the uniform one night and something totally different for the other.

Again thank you so much for doing tne hard work of keeping us safe.

Kris

I agree totally with Cozette!!

First formal night....Wear your uniform with pride... I'm sure you'll look wonderfully smart... and you'll recieve some great comments (and free drinks)!!

Second formal night..... go girly.... it's nice to be girly sometimes.... best of both worlds!! :)

Guessing you are both in the Navy? Or at least your DH? I was debating wearing mine...(DH and I are in the Navy, he is a chief and I am a E-5) and then I read your post. I don't believe I will be taking it, but I could change my mind I guess. The last time I wore my uniform in public like that I was in an airport and people kept asking where the bathrooms were...;)...I totally feel your pain...

DH is definitely wearing his, it is our 10 yr anniversary cruise and he wore his uniform in our wedding pics, he was an E-3 and now he is an E-7...the pics will look good on the wall...

LOL - nope, both AF. :D What killed me was the eyeroll and flounce away I got when I said I didn't know (since we were in the other dining room...). But I have been talked into wearing my uniform on the 2nd of our 2 upcoming cruises. *sigh* We're going with my parents and I deploy for a year 2 weeks after we get home, sooooooo. Yeah. :rolleyes:

And congrats on the 10th anniversary! I'm sure you'll have a great time! And yes, you'll get some great pics I'm sure! :)

Archived