Big Carnival Sale on the way ?

Genner

I hope so, as I'm sitting here waiting for the right time to book. The price is great without it and even if the price doesn't drop I will book, but I feel kinda bad jumping on a sale that was caused by such a tragedy...

No such thing as a sale. They will adjust prices based on how a sailing is selling so you might see some reduced cost.

Must have been a mirage when I booked late last year in the SALE then :rolleyes:

Must have been a mirage when I booked late last year in the SALE then :rolleyes:

Their sales promotions are usually meaningless. They have promotions to encourage new bookings and often throw in OBC or other special offers. Those that follow the prices on a regular basis BEFORE a sale can tell you that they're nothing to get excited about.

The word SALE makes people interested in buying, nothing more. The last two I've taken with Carnival, the SALE prices were slightly worse than what I paid to book early on cruises with low prices.

If prices drop, it'll be because of supply and demand, which sucks because I have a new job and don't have that much vacation this year.

What do you think ? The share price is going to Plummet along with people being put off booking.

I can only see big discounts being thrown about.

In all the years I've been a cruiser, I never thought the price of a cruise was affected by stock share prices. I've seen price fluctuations due to the supply of available cabins vs. booking demand on a particular sailing. Good luck with your strategy.

Personally, I'd book Early Saver with price protection and grab a choice cabin on the sailing I want and if rates "Plummet" as you predict, you'll be sitting pretty.

Just a feelling but if there are any big drops in price. Other then normal drops for low bookings, they will be on 2013 cruises.

Supply and demand will continue to drive the pricing . Most people know that this was a tragic mistake and is unlikely to occur again. People are contiuing to plan and book their next cruise on a daily basis.

Last night a rep from Carnival called my house asking if we had another cruise booked and did we need assistance booking?

Looks like they are already in PR repair mode.

Not to shake the old pom-poms but, I'd guess they called because this is prime vacation planning season. Many people are required to choose their vacation dates at the beginning of each year. Cruiselines were already mailing out glossy cruise ads before the Concordia tragedy.

Call it what you will, but we watch pricing and do ES when possible and think we do better than their so called sales.

I agree with you Stu.

We normally book early saver and watch rates daily when we do. There seems to be no method to the madness of which sailing gets what rates when. Except supply and demand!;)

On our next trip we did book onboard. On the way home I was talking to my PVP and she let me know there was a "sale" on that sailing that had just started. It was one where you pay more for your cabin but get OBC. We did change to that rate as for the FIRST time ever. It was a "sale" price that saved me money over our Past guest rate. (ES was over with :()

That tells me it was not selling as well as expected at the moment. Soo many times the "sale prices" When you net it out are higher than PG and/or ES rates.

Call it what you will, but we watch pricing and do ES when possible and think we do better than their so called sales.

BINGO..

Every time I book a cruise the cruise line has made a SALE.

If I order an excursion through the line they have made a SALE.

When transiting across water on a ship, I am going on a SAIL.

When they advertise SALE, IMO it is merely a marketing term to generate interest/traffic in order to make more SALES by creating more SAILS.

Pricing on the other hand is dictated by supply and demand -

Full ship with high demand = higher price

Not full ship with low demand = lower price

Doesn't matter if it's cruise fare, OBC, upgrade, etc... it comes down to money out of pocket, and in that regard smart shopping tends to beat sales IMO.:D

I am in agreement that Carnival's "sales" are anything but.

Every time I have seen a sale, the price was higher than both past guest and ES rates.

Also, don't be quick to assume and Carnival 'sales' that are announced in the coming weeks have anything to do with the Costa incident because it is wave season after all.

BINGO..

Every time I book a cruise the cruise line has made a SALE.

If I order an excursion through the line they have made a SALE.

When transiting across water on a ship, I am going on a SAIL.

When they advertise SALE, IMO it is merely a marketing term to generate interest/traffic in order to make more SALES by creating more SAILS.

Pricing on the other hand is dictated by supply and demand -

Full ship with high demand = higher price

Not full ship with low demand = lower price

Doesn't matter if it's cruise fare, OBC, upgrade, etc... it comes down to money out of pocket, and in that regard smart shopping tends to beat sales IMO.:D

Very goodicon7.gif

According to the "temperature" of the local travel industry taken through agents here in NS Canada, there is no significant drop in bookings for cruises, and more specifically for Carnival.. Numbers are on track with last year's bookings.

Fear mongers, nay sayers and doomsdayers stay home..the rest of us will continue to cruise!

According to the "temperature" of the local travel industry taken through agents here in NS Canada, there is no significant drop in bookings for cruises, and more specifically for Carnival.. Numbers are on track with last year's bookings.

The "incident" only occurred 4 days ago. I'm not sure this is an effective time to measure the short to mid-term effects on the cruising populace.

Highly unlikely.

If anything, they will be raising prices across the board to partially ameliorate the $90 million hit to EBIT.

That was my thought as well.

Don't see how they can start to cut fares at this point in time at all.

Archived