where to book on ship?

Motion doesn't bother us....we like to be on a deck nearest to where we'll spend most of our daytime hours.... (for us, that's the pool!). Being within 1 or 2 flights to where you want to be is convenient! Near the stairs and elevators is a good location, too...when you see how loooooooong the hallways are, you'll agree!

So, check the deck plans, find out what you THINK you'll be doing during the day, and book closeby.

First time cruiser would like to know where is best to book on ship in case of sea sickness?

Some have mentioned lowest deck and mid ship - is that true?

Thanks,

Most people do not get seasick. Especially those who are not prone to motion sickness.

If you do not get sick in a car or amusment rides your chances of being sick on a ship are slim.

The higher you go the more the ship sways.

stay as low as you can be.

and as midship as you can go.

(i prefer being by the aft elevator. which is also a cheaper category)

I like midship, front to back, as well as bottom to top. Not right next to the elevator or stairs, but close enough for convenience.

To make sure I never have an issue with sea sickness, I always take one non drowsy Bonine daily. That way regardless of the seas/weather, I never have to worry about that issue and I never have... ENJOY...

I have heard mid-ship lower decks are better too....I have a slight problem with sea sickness....

Can anyone recommend alternative remedies for this? I have cruised many times before but dramamine just makes me sleepy, I have heard ginger might be effective.

I have heard mid-ship lower decks are better too....I have a slight problem with sea sickness....

Can anyone recommend alternative remedies for this? I have cruised many times before but dramamine just makes me sleepy, I have heard ginger might be effective.

I got a prescription from my Dr for the patch that goes behind your ear. I only get sick on smaller ships that tend to sway more. We usually get a room mid ship on the 6th floor(whatever that is... rooms start with 6). When we were on the Magic in Europe I didn't need to take anything. Maybe try a cruise on a mega ship instead of a small one. Also, the Mediterranean seemed to be a lot less choppy than the Caribbean.

First time cruiser would like to know where is best to book on ship in case of sea sickness?

Thanks,

My husband and I took our first cruise on Norwegian Gem in April 2011 out of NYC. On the first night out, the ship was rocking and rolling. You could really feel it on deck 12. Our room was on deck 4, inside, midship. You could feel some movement, but not like the higher decks. The next morning, people on the high decks spoke about experiencing motion sickness. If you are concerned about motion sickness, the lower the better and inside, midship.

Thanks,

I have cruised from Vancouver to Alaska 5 times, and although I have never experienced motion sickness, my husband did on the first morning of our first cruise. We were on the Navigation Deck aft. I gave him some Ginger Tablets that I'd bought at our local health food store. He was ready to join us for breakfast Less than a half hour later.

The only other cruise we were on where we should have been sea-sick we were mid- ship on Deck 4 .. all that was left when we booked. There were 25ft waves, in fact, one was even higher and washed over the bow of the ship. Everone was pretty well confined to cabins due to the rocking & rolling of the vessel - we drank ginger ale, watched a couple of old movies and felt absolutely fine! Got some great photos through the porthole, and now enjoy bragging about the experience... So yes, to avoid sea sick (if you are prone to it)

mid ship, low deck and lots of ginger/ ginger ale/ ginger tea... And enjoy!

Have been cruising since 1980,,,motion sickness has always been a problem for me,even in a car, etc. Bonine works well for me,,,,recommended by a doctor for all motion sickness and nausea several years ago. Does not make me sleepy like the dramamine. Wrist bands did not work for me. :)

My Dad was a Navy man, and he always told me to book in the middle - the middle of the ship from the front to the back, and the middle of the ship for height. I get sea sick (sometimes pretty bad) but I usually feel OK in the cabin when we book where he said to book.

I also take a Homeopathic remedy called "Trip Ease", which is a chewable tablet. I'm best if I can take them before I get on the ship. These don't make you feel sleepy or anything other than "better". The kids/teens have used these on occasion as well, always with good results. I've never had to take more than six tablets, so they work really well for me.

Really, though - it should not be too big of a problem. The ships are so large now, and they have stabilizers that really help out with the motion. What ship will you be travelling on? That may help us help you decide.

Oh, one more thought... too low on the ship may not be your best bet. We found it to be a bit more noisy, and if the waves cover your window....well, some people don't like that too much!

I get see sick the minute it pulls away from the pier. My doctor writes a script that I have to start taking three days before as it does not work (for me) if I wait till the day of sailing. We don't have a problem with the deck we choose ( usually top or one down) and always go for the aft part of the ship. Have fun.:(

Our cabin on the last cruise was between midship and aft on a lower deck with a balcony. Very comfortable. And it was nice to be able to sit on the balcony and get fresh air if I didn't feel well. I do tend to get seasick. I take bonine every day and I have seabands on every day. I tried to wear the patch once but it made me sick. I also have ginger gum and MotionEaze (both available at a marine store). I learned about those products through Cruise Critic. I also have a great cracker called "tranquil tummy". They are saltine crackers with ginger. I had to buy them online. And....a prescription for compazine just in case nothing works. I can't tell you which one is the magic potion...but who cares!

What works for me is: a midship room, a morning Bonine and a natural ginger pill. The patch works for some, but for me, it didn't agree---increased heart rate (a side effect for only some)!

Hi

As an ex naval person and my wife is a nurse

we have watched on many cruises folk get sick and

fortunately for us unless its extreme conditions we don't get sick.

We hope the following advise or information helps

What most important is to understand the process of seasickness

and why you vomit etc.

1. Yes its true its in the head and the brain gets confused by the eyes and

ear motion

2. The Brain is basically stupid and does NOT know how to fix the motion problem

SO... it treats it like an allergy and pumps heaps of Anti Histamines into the body

to "counter-act" what it thinks is a physical problem.

3. The Stomach (and body) is fine and DOES NOT need histamines, and as a result gets sicks from "histamine overdose"

The fastest way for the body to rid itself of an overdose is to vomit the histamines out of the body.

SO.... its too late once your vomiting as you are in overdose (histamines)

RELAX and do not focus on the ship movement (IT is normal) and no worse than car movement.

TRY to enjoy the movement and use it like a fair ground ride (if its bad)

and try to keep telling yourself "ships move and its normal"

Panic will just enduce seasickness, and bring on more fear of seasickness

"Note that many seasick medications are high in "anti-histamines" and you will should now

understand why they are like that if you know the process of histamine overdose due to seasickness

Take your seasick tablets ever morning regardless if you are sick or not !!

Cheers

Pete & Carol

tekema2@hotmail.com

I get sick on everything and just discovered Nux Vomica. It is a homeopathic remedy and they carry it at Henry's/Sprouts. You put them under your tongue and it is almost instant relief. Very safe and effective. A woman who works with cancer patients told me about it. No side effects either.

If you are worried about getting seasick, remember that there is a place guarenteed to not get you seasick. It is called a HOTEL !!;) Seriously, be sure to be in a location where you can see the horizon. It helps your brain to understand why things are moving. The advice about being centered on the ship is highly rated.

Enjoy !!!!

Archived