Questions about teen club

I'm 14, turning 15. My birthday is in August and I'm currently a freshman. I will be going on a cruise in June. I know that the teen club is 15-17 years old, but that is the high school group right? I feel like I would be more comfortable with high schoolers (because I interact with them every day) than I will with middle schoolers. Since I will turn 15 two months after the cruise, will they let me be in that group?

Thanks for all the responses!:)

So they split the groups purely on age? In my opinion, I don't think it's very fair to kids who have late birthdays (as in the school year). But I understand, it would be harder to group them in grades. If I show them my school ID, would they be more likely to change their mind? Or does it depend on the director?

Yes, it is by age. Grade would be difficult, especially over the summer since schools get out at different times, how would you decide what a person's current grade actually is.

I don't think showing an id will make a difference but just talk to them.

Good luck.

So they split the groups purely on age? In my opinion, I don't think it's very fair to kids who have late birthdays (as in the school year). But I understand, it would be harder to group them in grades. If I show them my school ID, would they be more likely to change their mind? Or does it depend on the director?

It may be frustrating, but whether or not it seems fair, the cruise line has to create a cut off point for the different programs and the only objective way equal to all is to use age by birth date.

There may be exceptions made but that can also bring about confusion because if they say its OK for you to move up because your birthday is only a couple of months away, they would have to make similar exceptions for everyone. Where would they draw the line then?

It would become a subjective discussion with anyone who felt they should be able to move up as well with no clear guide line that would be an equalizer. Someone else who may be a little younger than you would then be disappointed if they were told no. Age - not school grade - is what they consider.

That being said, you can always ask on board and maybe they would allow it for you. But please understand their decision and don't be disappointed if they don't do it.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

It may be frustrating, but whether or not it seems fair, the cruise line has to create a cut off point for the different programs and the only objective way equal to all is to use age by birth date.

There may be exceptions made but that can also bring about confusion because if they say its OK for you to move up because your birthday is only a couple of months away, they would have to make similar exceptions for everyone. Where would they draw the line then?

It would become a subjective discussion with anyone who felt they should be able to move up as well with no clear guide line that would be an equalizer. Someone else who may be a little younger than you would then be disappointed if they were told no. Age - not school grade - is what they consider.

That being said, you can always ask on board and maybe they would allow it for you. But please understand their decision and don't be disappointed if they don't do it.

Thank you for explaining. I understand that it wouldn't be fair to make exceptions for certain people, but not all. Well, my parents say that if I am not able to move up, I should try the 12-14 group for a day, but if I don't like it, then I don't have to go.

Thank you for explaining. I understand that it wouldn't be fair to make exceptions for certain people, but not all. Well, my parents say that if I am not able to move up, I should try the 12-14 group for a day, but if I don't like it, then I don't have to go.

I think that is a good way to approach it. The programs are a lot of fun and there are plenty of great things to do on board that maybe the group you are in won't matter so much. But if you are not happy there, then you can always find other things to do on board and other kids to do them with.

Enjoy your cruise - I am certain you will!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I think that is a good way to approach it. The programs are a lot of fun and there are plenty of great things to do on board that maybe the group you are in won't matter so much. But if you are not happy there, then you can always find other things to do on board and other kids to do them with.

Enjoy your cruise - I am certain you will!

I've heard that on the first day, both groups are put together for introduction and icebreaker games? Is that correct?

Sorry for all these questions. This is going to be my 4th cruise, but I was very shy when I went on previous cruises. This time I'm feeling more confident to have even more fun with friends haha!

We were on the Oasis in February and my 15 year old daughter met lots of kids of different ages. She did go to the teen centre first day and had no trouble meeting people right away. She hung out with kids that were 14, 13, 16 and 17 years old. They would arrange to meet at the teen club but didn't always stay there. She had a wonderful time and made some great friends that week.

My oldest girls were 2 months out from turning 15 on our cruise last October. They didn't split the teens up that week since there weren't many on board, but I'm not sure that would be the case in June. Giving it a try is a great idea - who knows, there may be a few other 14 yo as well. I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless, and if not at least you tried :)

I took two 14 just shy of 15 (my daughter by a few days, BFF by a few months) high school freshmen on a spring break cruise a few years ago. I was able to sign something at the teen center giving them permission to be with the older group acknowledging that I was aware that they would be in a group with basically 17 year old boys. If they do not let you move to the high school age group, you won't be the only one in that situation. Good luck.

We are sailing on the Brilliance in two weeks and have a similar situation. We are traveling with three other families and have a mix of 14 and 15 year olds who are all freshmen in high school. We hope they will all be able to be together in the teen club, but we know they will have fun hanging out outside the club if the 12-14 year olds are separate from the 15-17 year olds. Even though they are traveling with a built-in friend group, it is nice to meet new people and make new friends.

We do plan to ask if they can be together, and I will report back after our trip. I expect it depends on the number of kids on board, staffing, the ship and the mindset of whoever makes the decision that day. :D