Suggestions for Cozumel and Costa Maya with kids?

Tamaracklady

Our favourite part of cruising is sea days but we have 3 ports on our upcoming cruise so we need a plan! We don't scuba and have no desire to spend hours on a bus to see the the ruins (did that on a previous land trip) with a 5 and 8 year old. Any suggestions for a good beach or fun activity in these ports for a family?

Our favourite part of cruising is sea days but we have 3 ports on our upcoming cruise so we need a plan! We don't scuba and have no desire to spend hours on a bus to see the the ruins (did that on a previous land trip) with a 5 and 8 year old. Any suggestions for a good beach or fun activity in these ports for a family?

Never been to Costa Maya, but in Cozumel I would recommend Paradise Beach http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com A lot for the kiddos to do there.

You can get more suggestions if you go directly to the ports of call and ask.

Both good choices for Cozumel, but Chakanaab State park great as well....admission includes sea lion show, and dolphins are extra. Pretty beach with good snorkeling...costa Maya is pure beach day.....Steve at a Tropicante will help you....cheap mom massage on beach!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We did Costa Maya and Coz. In November. We did Playa Maya in coz. Our 9 year old loved it. The pools were awesome. Bus ride was 10 to 15 minutes and food was included (not awesome but palatable).

For Costa Maya we did the jungle beach break. It was fun (ocean wipe out, beach, playground, kayaks). The bus ride is about 30 minutes each way. And food is not included.

We booked through royal for the convenience and assurance. They were also running a promo at the time that age us 25 off of our third excursion so it was worth just going through the ship.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

We did Playa Mia with our then 4 year last January and loved it. Book privately through their website, we did the all inclusive for DH and just the park for DS and I since I was pregnant at the time and couldn't drink. The food like said previously was just so so, but they pools were fantastic as was the play area for kids. They had big water slides that we skipped as DS was too little and also water toys for the kids, which we also skipped because it was pretty cold and windy the day we went. they have a playground and hammocks on the beach, beach toys, and plenty of beach chairs. It's about a 5 minute cab ride from the pier so about the easiest and cheapest thing to do privately. I think the cruise line charged 85 a person and they got their an hour later than us and left 45 minutes earlier.

If you're looking for something unique I would highly recommend the Kaokao chocolate factory in Cozumel. They have a great tour where you can make your own hot chocolate mix starting with cocoa beans. It was really cool and would be great for kids.

My two are 12 and 15 - also looking for suggestions! I'm considering Xcaret. My husband and I were there a long time ago and enjoyed it, but I'm concerned about mixed reviews. Lots of people have said we'll be stuck with a guide and not able to do our own thing.

My two are 12 and 15 - also looking for suggestions! I'm considering Xcaret. My husband and I were there a long time ago and enjoyed it, but I'm concerned about mixed reviews. Lots of people have said we'll be stuck with a guide and not able to do our own thing.

Xcaret is a log way from Cozumel :( - you'll need a taxi to the ferry pier, a ferry ride (about 45 minutes, sometimes rough :eek:) to Playa del Carmen, and then a longish cab to Xcaret. I would avoid the travel and find things on Coz your teens would like to do - snorkeling at the Money Bar? :confused: Playing on the water toys at Paradise Beach or Mr. Sanchos? :confused: Swim with the dolphins at Chankanaab? :confused:

There's so many good choices in Cozumel. I have a list in my signature line with reviews and TONS of pictures.

IMO, the kids would probably love Playa Mia. They have a little of everything there from the beach, beach water toys, 2 pools, a kiddie water park and 2 water slides.

In Costa Maya, it's more of a laid back place and if you are going to the beach, there's not much as far as water toys and so on. I think Blue Kay is a beautiful place and wonderful beach. It's only 5-10 minutes from the port, free to get in (just by food/drinks) and the water is beautiful there. The 3 of us spent the day there and loved it and only spent $48 for the day. There's a link in my signature line for it.

Ahhhh! Settled on Chakanaab...then saw Playa Mia's website. Thanks a lot to whoever it was that said waterslides! You've sold the 12 year old. 😃 Now off to research best way to get there. Looks like the options are through rci, book transfer through playa Mia website or take a cab. I think rci is out, because it includes things we don't want - and at a hefty premium. $43 with transfer, $30 without...how far is beach from pier? Taxi cost? Thanks for help!

Did that include the 45 minute ferry trip? :confused:

Yes. How long did it take you? We go there in about an hour, maybe less. From what I'm reading when looking up this topic on google,is most people get there in about the same time from Cozumel.

Edited by Moltar

They might enjoy the sea lion swim @ Chankanaab. It was fun, something different from the standard dolphin swim, not very crowded (three of us in the group.) and it included admission to Chankanaab. They have a cute little beach perfect for kids and then a decent snorkel area. There's also a replica of a mayan city. Inexpensive and a short taxi ride.

If you guys are adventurous, the underground river excursion is super fun. You do have to ride the ferry, but the caves are super cool and the water is soooo refreshing and a nice change from all the salt water you'll be soaking in for the rest of the cruise.

Ahhhh! Settled on Chakanaab...then saw Playa Mia's website. Thanks a lot to whoever it was that said waterslides! You've sold the 12 year old. 😃 Now off to research best way to get there. Looks like the options are through rci, book transfer through playa Mia website or take a cab. I think rci is out, because it includes things we don't want - and at a hefty premium. $43 with transfer, $30 without...how far is beach from pier? Taxi cost? Thanks for help!

It's only about a 10-15 minute drive from the pier. Not far at all and plenty of taxi's waiting to take you there and back.

They might enjoy the sea lion swim @ Chankanaab. It was fun, something different from the standard dolphin swim, not very crowded (three of us in the group.) and it included admission to Chankanaab. They have a cute little beach perfect for kids and then a decent snorkel area. There's also a replica of a mayan city. Inexpensive and a short taxi ride.

Sunshine...is the sea lion swim actually a SWIM? Is it in the same waters where they do the dolphin and manatee swims? Just wondering. That's one we have never done before and don't hear very many people on here mention doing it.

It's not a swim swim, more of an interaction. You are standing in chest deep water, they make you wear a life jacket. Couldn't figure out why when the three in the tour were all tall enough to stand. The sea lion swims by, you get to touch and feel and do hand signals, they teach you all about the sea lions Then you get out of the water and do the hugs, kisses, play with a ball with the sea lions, pose with them while they're doing tricks etc. it was nice, different, and calm :-) I have pictures laying around somewhere.

It's not a swim swim, more of an interaction. You are standing in chest deep water, they make you wear a life jacket. Couldn't figure out why when the three in the tour were all tall enough to stand. The sea lion swims by, you get to touch and feel and do hand signals, they teach you all about the sea lions Then you get out of the water and do the hugs, kisses, play with a ball with the sea lions, pose with them while they're doing tricks etc. it was nice, different, and calm :-) I have pictures laying around somewhere.

Ok, I was wondering because all of the pictures I have seen are people sitting on something and the sea lions beside them...BUT they did have a life jacket on, which made me wonder.

Are the pictures they take the same price as they do with the dolphins?

Dig out those pictures and share!!! :D