Brooklyn, which airport

ojaidenny

It was suggested to me by someone in the know to fly out of EWR(Newark) and this person who lives in the NY area said to avoid JFK because it is too busy and traffic can be awful. I honestly did not find much difference in the price of my ticket but EWR was about $10 more for car service to Brooklyn(Dial 7 car service). But I am not going to quibble about $10 when the cruise costs $$$$.

Our best price from LAX was to JFK and we pre-reserved a car from Carmel and using their $4 online discount coupon it cost $37. We arrived at 4:00 pm on a Friday & as I recall it took about 45 minutes to the Comfort Inn Brooklyn Cruise Terminal hotel. By reserving a car it was a flat fee & I did not see flat fee cab rides to Brooklyn like I saw to Manhattan from JFK.

Edited by Astro Flyer

It was suggested to me by someone in the know to fly out of EWR(Newark) and this person who lives in the NY area said to avoid JFK because it is too busy and traffic can be awful. I honestly did not find much difference in the price of my ticket but EWR was about $10 more for car service to Brooklyn(Dial 7 car service). But I am not going to quibble about $10 when the cruise costs $$$$.

I am surprised they recommended EWR. Do you know why? When I looked into it in the past, it seemed to be the most inconvenient and one had to have a later flight time. Maybe I missed something but I used to live out near EWR. We used LGA both times I cruised out of NYC.

Edited by Coral

I am surprised they recommended EWR. Do you know why? When I looked into it in the past, it seemed to be the most inconvenient and one had to have a later flight time. Maybe I missed something but I used to live out near EWR. We used LGA both times I cruised out of NYC.

My flight is a 805am flight from the west coast. That time is perfect for me. Plus we like to fly Virgin America. But all I know is he didn't like JFK airport. We are staying in Brooklyn as I refuse to pay outrageous Manhattan hotel prices.

I have heard good things about Carmel car service but in LA we had a absolutely horrible time with them. I know we are talking about 2 different states but I guess our time with Carmel was so bad it made me not want to pick them so I am using Dial 7 instead. They gave us a flat rate to Brooklyn which is better then using a taxi if the traffic is bad. Since we arrive in NY right before commute time, no way in Heck would I use a taxi from the airport.

I would choose whatever airport has the easiest flights to whatever airport you wish to land at in CA.

Laguardia is the closest, followed by JFK

Newark is some distance, and some feel it is better to take a Princess transfer if you choose Newark.

I personally don't worry about a few $$ in fare more or less.

My flight is a 805am flight from the west coast. That time is perfect for me. Plus we like to fly Virgin America. But all I know is he didn't like JFK airport. We are staying in Brooklyn as I refuse to pay outrageous Manhattan hotel prices.

I have heard good things about Carmel car service but in LA we had a absolutely horrible time with them. I know we are talking about 2 different states but I guess our time with Carmel was so bad it made me not want to pick them so I am using Dial 7 instead. They gave us a flat rate to Brooklyn which is better then using a taxi if the traffic is bad. Since we arrive in NY right before commute time, no way in Heck would I use a taxi from the airport.

Got it! It has been forever since I used JFK. EWR is definitely the furthest but if you are spending the night, time is not a factor.

I tried to use Carmel in LA also and they were difficult to deal with (we were traveling with a service dog and they wanted to charge extra which is illegal). I had forgotten I used Carmel in NYC until I was cleaning through some papers recently and came across the business card. We got in late into the airport and there were some car services there and one guy approached us and asked if we needed a car. He didn't care that we had a service dog. He was great and we took his card and arranged for him to pick us up. I didn't even realize what company he was until I found his card recently. I guess it comes down to the individual driver.

Edited by Coral

We fly frequently back and forth between, Burbank or LAX and JFK. Our airline of choice for various reasons is Jet Blue. To Brooklyn, LGA is slightly closer, but not enough to decide what airline flight you choose. I had heard so many horror stories about Carmel in California, that we just use Dial 7 in NY/NJ when necessary. Truthfully, Carmel is probably the same as Dial 7 on the east coast--

If we weren't spending 4 days before cruise leaves from Brooklyn, we would also choose Comfort Suites by the cruise port. Our family is in Queens area, so we usuallly use one of the Hilton properties by JFK. We will then have Dial 7 take us to Brooklyn.

Remember in NYC, distance is not measured in miles but in time. Depending on the traffic and the time of day you are leaving, Newark will be closer in evening rush hour (1/1/2 hours going through Staten Island then up to Newark airport) then going to either JFK or LaGuardia with the outgoing NYC traffic.

I will be one of those landing during commute time, so I need to remember to be patient. We are spending 2 days in NYC, so really no worries about how long it takes for us to reach our hotel. Big traffic tie-ups is one of the reason I choose not to live in the city. The down side is I live 1 & 1/2 hours from a large airport.

LGA or JFK will work best. Traffic is a concern with both airports. Keep in mind, some airlines actually require you to check your luggage in at least 60 minutes before the flight in NY airports, vs 30 minutes everywhere else. We were late once by 2 minutes, and had to abandon our luggage.

If you are getting a nonstop flight to LA, chances are you will be departing from JFK. Airlines prefer to use wide body jets for these routes and LGA is too small for them.

• 2 months later...

USA today just reported that the DOT rated LaGuardia as having the worst on-time statistics in the U.S.

"LaGuardia had the worst on-time statistics of any of the country’s major airports, as only a sad 68% of arriving and departing flights reported having zero delays. Less than 66% of incoming flights were on time and 70% of flights left on time, an overall performance decrease of 3% since the same time period last year".

http://roadwarriorvoices.com/2015/08/22/laguardia-is-americas-worst-airport-when-it-comes-to-flight-delays/

I would go to the airport with the most direct non stop flight... always... less chance of losing luggage, less flying time, maybe more expensive i.e., direct flight sometimes are but worth it.

We are flying to JFK from San Francisco on Virgin America. Will stay overnight at an airport hotel, not expensive, then simply use a taxi to the OM2. Likewise take a taxi back to the airport... we have all day each way to get to the ship going and coming back we are not in any hurry to get to JFK our flight is late afternoon. Taxi is an easy way to go.

JFK or LGA.

EWR from Brooklyn is going to be a p.i.t.a.

Living in NJ, my rule of thumb is that I don't cross the Hudson unless I am saving close to $100 pp on the ticket price because the gas, tolls & increased parking drive up the costs to the point where any savings will be eaten up & when you add in the p.i.t.a. factor, all appeal is lost absent substantial savings.

If memory serves Virgin America has the most flights & the most direct flights from LAX into & out of JFK in this area.

while promenade is a reputable car service its also among the most expensive.I use Arecibo which is about a third less. see http://www.arecibocc.com

about $40 from the bct to lga. about $75 to ewr.

your can also use uber-for tch savy users only- which non-surge pricing is reasonable.

there will also be yellow cabs and outerboro green taxis which will be metered. to lga also about $40. to ewr which they are required to go it should be 75-90 or so. will there be enough? more now than green cabs are available.

also the cruise terminal has for hire limos available generally for twice what a cab charges,,,but nicer cars.