Explorer OTS on TV

Rosee

Hi everyone,

I understand that Explorer of the Seas will be featured in a new program next Thursday (28 Jan '16) on Channel 90 at 7:30pm called 'Australia's Mega Cruise Ships'.

No further details at this stage, but I guess more will come to light as they begin promoting the show.

Not sure if it is a 'one-off' show or (hopefully) a series.

Could make interesting viewing!

Rosee

Hi everyone,

I understand that Explorer of the Seas will be featured in a new program next Thursday (28 Jan '16) on Channel 90 at 7:30pm called 'Australia's Mega Cruise Ships'.

No further details at this stage, but I guess more will come to light as they begin promoting the show.

Rosee

is that channel 9

I expect it's the one they filmed on our 16 Dec cruise.

Just can't wait to see if it's a warts and all piece (a la Tiger), or they only show the positives (though with maybe some fake drama as per the original series thrown in). My guess is the latter. The pieces I saw filmed were 'staged' during our cruise to support that.

Really wish they would stop the largest business. Since it is actually shared biggest. After Royals big song and dance about the ship being bigger then every other ship in Australia, I asked the officers on the Voyager where it was confirmed she is the same. The only place that their size is referenced differently is on promotional material.

Really wish they would stop the largest business. Since it is actually shared biggest. After Royals big song and dance about the ship being bigger then every other ship in Australia, I asked the officers on the Voyager where it was confirmed she is the same. The only place that their size is referenced differently is on promotional material.

Sorry to tell you that you were misinformed. The Explorer is bigger (size and capacity) than the Voyager despite being the same class ship. and it is the biggest ship here at least until the Ovation arrives at the end of the year.

Voyager of the seas

Gross Tonnage 138,000

Length 1,020 ft

Max Beam 157.5 ft

Draft 29 ft

Cruising Speed 22 knots

Capacity: 3,138 passengers

Crew: 1,181 crew

Explorer of the seas

Gross Tonnage 138,000

Length 1,025 ft

Max Beam 157.5 ft

Draft 29 ft

Cruising Speed 22 knots

Capacity: 4,029 passengers

Crew: 1,180

Edited by MicCanberra

The Explorer is bigger (size and capacity) than the Voyager despite being the same class ship. and it is the biggest ship here at least until the Ovation arrives at the end of the year.

And, as is often said, size matters. We paid for that extra 5' :) moving up to a larger ship and fully expect to enjoy that larger ship in a couple of months :D

I posted in the earlier thread about the size, that from the public view it is the same.

However, the ship is "technically" bigger as it contains a laboratory for researchers onboard. As this is technically open space it gets added to that figure for public space, even though the general public don't have access. The actual ship construction and layout and capacity is otherwise the same, so it isn't bigger in the commonly understood sense.

So they do promote it misleadingly even though from the public's point of view it is the same.

But later on this year, we'll go through it all over again when Ovation arrives...

Edited by The_Big_M

Sorry to tell you that you were misinformed. The Explorer is bigger (size and capacity) than the Voyager despite being the same class ship. and it is the biggest ship here at least until the Ovation arrives at the end of the year.

Voyager of the seas

Gross Tonnage 138,000

Length 1,020 ft

Max Beam 157.5 ft

Draft 29 ft

Cruising Speed 22 knots

Capacity: 3,138 passengers

Crew: 1,181 crew

Explorer of the seas

Gross Tonnage 138,000

Length 1,025 ft

Max Beam 157.5 ft

Draft 29 ft

Cruising Speed 22 knots

Capacity: 4,029 passengers

Crew: 1,180

I think I trust the bridge crew on the ship over some information found online. If they get the figures wrong there is some major issues. In fact they even confirmed that it is nothing but a advertising method they use.

Also to add those figures you have given are impossible figures.

Edited by Cruise ship fan

I got this from RCI - Make sure you tune in to Channel Nine at 7.30pm next Thursday 28 January and sail away with us aboard Australia's Mega Cruise Ship, Explorer of the Seas. The one-hour summer special will uncover a world of fine-dining, high-adrenaline thrills, Broadway-style shows and beautiful South Pacific destinations.

I also received the latest fleet guide which has the following information...

Voyager of the Seas

Guest Capacity: 3,286 Gross Tonnage: 137,276 Revitalized: November 2014

Explorer of the Seas

Guest Capacity: 3,286 Gross Tonnage: 137,308 Revitalized: April 2015

Explorer is the largest of the 1st generation Voyager class ships, by 32 tonnes (Adventure is apparently the same as Voyager).

Mariner and Navigator (both 2nd generation) both come in at 138,279 tonnes. So, Explorer is the largest ship to be based here, until Ovation arrives.

By the way, I'm thrilled that they're doing this. I love TV shows about cruise ships and would love to see one of the lines here do a "Cruise Ship Diaries" style series.

Edited by Royalty X

I think I trust the bridge crew on the ship over some information found online. If they get the figures wrong there is some major issues. In fact they even confirmed that it is nothing but a advertising method they use.

Also to add those figures you have given are impossible figures.

That is up to you.

BTW, The info came off Royal's website.:D

Screenshots below are from the website of Det Norske Veritas (the official classification society) http://vesselregister.dnvgl.com/vesselregister/vesselregister.html

Details about inspections at various times found on the Equasis website (www.equasis.org) indicate that the figures quoted by Royalty X in his last post (post #13) were from prior to the major upgrade both ships had and it appears that since the upgrade they have the same gross tonnage.

Fullscreen%252520capture%25252023012016%252520130211.jpg

Fullscreen%252520capture%25252023012016%252520130458.jpg

Edited by boeckli

I expect it's the one they filmed on our 16 Dec cruise.

Just can't wait to see if it's a warts and all piece (a la Tiger), or they only show the positives (though with maybe some fake drama as per the original series thrown in). My guess is the latter. The pieces I saw filmed were 'staged' during our cruise to support that.

Interesting re the "staging", can you tell us more? What did you see?

Hi everyone,

Rosee

Awesome, thanks for the heads up! Loved Explorer. There's been much written about her (in a negative way) and I wonder whether they were actually on the same ship I was :confused:

Screenshots below are from the website of Det Norske Veritas (the official classification society) http://vesselregister.dnvgl.com/vesselregister/vesselregister.html

Details about inspections at various times found on the Equasis website (www.equasis.org) indicate that the figures quoted by Royalty X in his last post (post #13) were from prior to the major upgrade both ships had and it appears that since the upgrade they have the same gross tonnage.

Fullscreen%252520capture%25252023012016%252520130211.jpg

Fullscreen%252520capture%25252023012016%252520130458.jpg

It seems they got rid of the laboratory. I'm not surprised as I hadn't heard anything about it lately... but figured it must have been kept to justify the marketing claim.

Unfortunately, it's another case of marketers ignoring the facts for their own benefit. :-(

Interesting re the "staging", can you tell us more? What did you see?

It was just set up work and filming of different 'scenes' e.g. interview at a bar, sports, shows. But so much can get edited in pre-production that I've no idea how it will come out in the end; they may well not show some parts depending on how it fits together and what they want to achieve.

Given the lighting and set up though, it all looked like it was trying for a typical promotional piece; people dressed up, people being active, people having fun...

A preview from The Age this morning.

For those who do not know his work, the writer produces some of the funniest reviews of reality shows, etc. always read with funny bone engaged. He may or may not have seen the show.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/whats-on-tv-thursday-australias-mega-cruise-ship-20160124-gmcukf.html