Unusual Experiences on HAL?

I have only cruised with HAL once, on a Caribbean cruise, and though we live in the Caribbean & have cruised here many times, I still think the HAL cruise was one of the most memorable because of an unusual experience they arranged in St Lucia. After a normal day at one end of the island, far from the pitons, we set sail but the captain took us around to the other side, right near the pitons, where we dropped anchor again & there was an unbelievable full moon just over or between the peaks. Then they brought a local group of musicians aboard to play for us. This was completely a surprise...not on the itinerary at all. It made the whole cruise unforgettable. So now I'm wondering...does HAL throw in this kind of surprise on other cruises sometimes? Or were we just incredibly lucky?

I think such things might depend on the Captain, the sea conditions and the schedule. I am sure that there may be other things, too.

Several years ago on our late December Antarctica cruise on the MS Amsterdam during the first of 3 days cruising the Antarctic peninsula, we had superb weather, sea and ice conditions. Late that afternoon, Captain John Peter Harris, announced that we were way ahead of schedule and we would just loiter off Palmer Station for a few hours until we would be on schedule. A short time later, Captain Harris made another announcement: he had checked the sea and ice conditions again, had consulted with Seattle and because we were just a few hours sailing to the Antarctic Circle, and because it was the winter solstice, he decided that we would visit the Antarctic Circle to watch the very brief sunset and sunrise! What an unexpected treat!

A few days later, we received a certificate signed by Captain Harris that we had crossed the Antarctic Circle with a photo of the GPS readout as confirmation. Also, his cover letter stated that the MS Amsterdam was the first HAL ship to cross the Antarctic Circle, and was likely the largest cruise ship to do so up to that time. For us, this was a double treat as we had previously crossed the Arctic Circle on the Amsterdam and had a certificate from that cruise, too.

Highly memorable for us were:

Two hours slow sailing along the Na Pali Coast (Hawaii) where we followed a pod of dolphins for 30 minutes.

Evening passing of the volcano on The Big Island of Hawaii.

Unscheduled sailing the Inland Sea in Japan.

Unscheduled cruising through Unimak Strait on the way to Petropavlosk.

Fireworks viewing in Willemstad.

Circumnavigation of Cape Horn.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I think such things might depend on the Captain, the sea conditions and the schedule. I am sure that there may be other things, too.

Several years ago on our late December Antarctica cruise on the MS Amsterdam during the first of 3 days cruising the Antarctic peninsula, we had superb weather, sea and ice conditions. Late that afternoon, Captain John Peter Harris, announced that we were way ahead of schedule and we would just loiter off Palmer Station for a few hours until we would be on schedule. A short time later, Captain Harris made another announcement: he had checked the sea and ice conditions again, had consulted with Seattle and because we were just a few hours sailing to the Antarctic Circle, and because it was the winter solstice, he decided that we would visit the Antarctic Circle to watch the very brief sunset and sunrise! What an unexpected treat!

A few days later, we received a certificate signed by Captain Harris that we had crossed the Antarctic Circle with a photo of the GPS readout as confirmation. Also, his cover letter stated that the MS Amsterdam was the first HAL ship to cross the Antarctic Circle, and was likely the largest cruise ship to do so up to that time. For us, this was a double treat as we had previously crossed the Arctic Circle on the Amsterdam and had a certificate from that cruise, too.

Awesome! People who expect cruising to be a cookie cutter experience could learn a thing or two from this thread. :)

Memorable for me:

- First cruise down the Caribbean (and first cruise ever) a pod of dolphins was swimming near the ship, a colleague and myself saw it, asked a crewmember if it was indeed a dolphin and since it was, it was passed onto the captain who came on the PA to make the announcement we were being followed by dolphins

- A few years ago on the Nieuw Amsterdam (could have been Eurodam as well) we were in the showroom attending a presentation when the alarm went off and the captain came onto the PA with the words: "This is not a drill" A fire broke out in one of the cabins.

- The year after that, on the Noordam, the power throughout the entire ship went out. It was a calm night with full moon and the ocean never looked so peaceful and beautiful

- This year, was standing on the Promenade deck watching an idyllic sunset on route from Key West to Ft. Lauderdale (last night of the cruise) when I met a special someone. Most memorable night of my entire life.

The full force of a typhoon struck the ship just after the start of our morning CC Meet & Greet in the Crow's Nest. Our large sheet cake, four trays of appetizers, coffee pots, coffee cups, etc were swept to the floor as the ship suddenly listed severely. Bewildered passengers held on to the hallway railings to make their way back to their staterooms. Crashing sounds could be heard from the staterooms we passed as we made our way back to our aft stateroom.

We moved everything on the desk to the floor to prevent crashing and duct taped the closet doors shut. I took a photo of the TV screen showing 82 knot winds from the side of the ship before assuming a defensive, spread-eagle, position on the stateroom bed.

Fortunately, the islands provided temporary protection from the and huge waves washing over the bow as seen on the bow camera. The Captain announced the times that we would be exposed to the typhoon as we moved past our island shielding and we went to bed hoping to sleep though the worst that would be felt around 3:00 AM.

In the darkness of the stateroom at 3:30 AM, the balcony door was blown open and the heavy drapes sucked into the intense wind blowing across the dark verandah. As i felt my way across the dark stateroom to close the door, I discovered a verandah chair had became wedged against the open door and blocked me from reaching the balcony door handle..

It took several kicks to dislodge the chair and I heard it scraping across the verandah as it slid into the darkness. The torrential rain felt like it was not falling but rather moving horizontally against the door and ricocheting into the room. Within seconds, I was rain-soaked. Pulling the wet drapes inside the stateroom and fighting the typhoon-force wind that was determined to keep the balcony door fully open to the driving rain challenged my strength and resolve.

With the wet drapes wrapped securely in my arms, my last strong tug on the door handle overcame the wind and caused the spring-loaded door to slam shut with a loud thud just as my bare toes moved away from the door sill danger zone.

Holding the sopping wet drapes, my pajamas and body feeling like I had just endured a car wash, chilled to the bone, the ship listing violently from side to side, total darkness, and the stateroom carpeting water-soaked, I heard a sleepy voice in the dark saying, "Is something wrong?"

.......<SNIP>....... I heard a sleepy voice in the dark saying, "Is something wrong?"

LOL, In defense of my sleepy question..... It was our 3rd typhoon that week (17-24 September 2011)...........

Hey, at least after the worst of the 1st one, I was not the one lying prone on the bed asking, "Where's my cell phone?" When asked why you wanted it, your reply of, "So I can call 911," was priceless. That was my most memorable part of that cruise:D

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

We also had lovely viewing of the Pitons at St. Lucia.

I think the most memorable for us was when we left Fuerteventura. It is rarely visited by a cruise ship and the island was delighted to have us.

Prinsendam got permission (and a pilot to assist) to tour around the entire island very close to the shore to see the entire island. It was incredible and the islanders were waving to us in different locations as we passed by. It was absolutely fantastic.

Edited by kazu

We have a Caribbean cruise booked for Feb. 2017. In the description of the itinerary it says 'cruising the Pitons'. Hoping this means the same as the OP posted.

It is, or at least once was, a standard part of any stop at St Lucia to "cruise" the Pitons. We've had several magical evenings as the ship seemingly almost drifted from Castries to Soufriere. Most times that's also been the evening they had the on-deck barbecue along with local entertainment. Great and memorable evenings. Of course it's not all totally just to give passengers the experience but also to pick up passengers who went on ship excursions that started in Castries and ended in Soufriere.

We had friends who were staying in the Penthouse and we were in an inside cabin during our first Hawaii/Tahiti trip. They invited us up for a congenial evening. My DH and I and our friends were on the verandah sipping Cristal from crystal glasses and watching the full moon make a path on Cooks Island bay. We all looked at each other, toasted and said " It just doesn't get any better than this". :D

That said; the most memorable thing ever was the story of Kenny, the kidnapped brownie. For those who haven't read my review of it here is a link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1181006&page=1. :eek::D

LOL, In defense of my sleepy question..... It was our 3rd typhoon that week (17-24 September 2011)...........

Hey, at least after the worst of the 1st one, I was not the one lying prone on the bed asking, "Where's my cell phone?" When asked why you wanted it, your reply of, "So I can call 911," was priceless. That was my most memorable part of that cruise:D

Joanie

I was awaiting your response. :D

In 2013 on the Eurodam we were stopped in Bar Harbor. A lobster trawler had broken down outside of port with its full load and it being September BH didn't have full capacity to offload.

HAL's chef worked out a deal and bought out the boat's lobster and mussel haul and carried three tenders over to make the exchange.

The next night was a lobster feast around the pool.

Crew news thanks for making me laugh. This would absolutely be me and my marriage. My husband would have to be blown out to sea before he would wake up.

Our first cruise was on HAL and we had hurricane weather almost that bad. They cleared the MDR and sent us to our cabins bc all the food was falling all over the floor. We still were hooked lol

My most unusual experience on HAL involved being seated at lunch in the MDR with an adult woman and her husband along with their "child" who was a doll. The "child" occupied one of the chairs. Very bizarre.

Roz

:)

Joanie

I have a feeling our Zuidy Sunfarer will be a hoot! lmao

Sadly I have been on many Holland cruises where the captain seemed oblivious to simple deviations that would/could have been special..

Example: Sailing out of Kauai rather than go along the spectacular Na Pali coast for an hour or so he headed straight out to sea even though we were going to sydney and i suspect time was not of essence as many sea days ahead.

Example: In Shinakouville Cambodia New Years eve with a huge fireworks display planned from local beach...We sailed out into the darkness at 7 pm and rode around in circles to kill time as the next port was so close...Seems captain could have sat offshore so pax could enjoy fireworks.

Thanks to the captains that are willing to use a bit of common sense and allow the passengers to experience unique situations as much as possible.

In 2004 during Hurricane Francis, we were cruising the Caribbean to celebrate my 50th. At the end of a wonderful week, the ports in so. FL. we're all closed so we had to stay at sea 2 extra days. Our captain kept us off the south side of Cuba where it was sunny and smooth seas. That was a great and memorable birthday!!!

On an early HAL Mexican Riviera cruise we were on the starboard side leaving San Diego, looking out into the vast Pacific Ocean. When we woke up the next morning I was very confused because there was obviously a large string of "islands" now out our starboard window. Something seemed wrong with the light too.

As a native Californian who thought she knew her local geography, I was perplexed that I missed ever learning about these obvious floating land masses.

Then came the announcement during the night the ship had turned around because a passenger had to be medically evacuated and we were heading north instead to get within emergency helicopter range down from our departure port San Diego. So seeing was not believing that morning, and we were not really cruising into the Twilight Zone after all.

Edited by OlsSalt

Not really unusual, but the ship's doctor and his wife joined our table on the second formal night of our Veendam cruise. They said it was HAL's custom to place officers at tables where there was room. The ship provided the wine for the table.

On another HAL cruise, there could have been an announcement for a space shuttle launch that was visible about an hour after we left Fort Lauderdale. If there was one, I did not hear it. We were prepared, as were a few dozen other passengers.