Which would you do: hawaii-11 days on legend or 14 days on splendor?

Brooke71991

I have only ever been on one carnival cruise and it was a 5 day bahama trip on the fascination in 2014, but I have decided to do a honeymoon cruise to hawaii. I originally booked an 11 day trip to hawaii on the legend, but have noticed a few weeks later there is a 14 day on splendor. I am having trouble deciding and here are my reasons. A longer trip always sounds better, but the 14 day does only have 4 islands instead of five and takes off one of the best, but I have never flown before. The 14 day on splendor begins and ends in cali. The plane trip will only be five hours. The 11 days trip will be 7 hours to Vancouver and 13 hours back from Honolulu. I get very restless, so I'm not sure how that will go. Not to mention the round trip ticket rate for the Cali tickets are cheaper than both the trip to vancouver and the trip back from honolulu, so the extra price for the 14 day cruise evens out. Many people have said it is about the ports many times and not the ship. I am going to be having many sea days. I need a good ship with lots to do and not get bored after a few days. I do not know much about legend or splendor, but I do know legend goes into dry dock next year before the cruises, so it may be more updated and cleaner than splendor at that point, especially with the technical issues splendor has been experiencing. So any thoughts? What would you do and why? Thanks in advance!!

I would do the Splendor. What you would spend in more airfare you can spend on the extra days on a cruise. The Splendor is a bigger ship. And I heard that people love her! It is your honeymoon, go for the longer cruise!

Ultimately, it's up to you though. Enjoy your honeymoon either way!

More questions and reasoning.

Does the Legend go to Kauai? Splendor doesn't as she's too large. For Mom that's a deal breaker.

Do you want to sail round trip? Or do you want to spend extra time in Hawaii? Nothing beats land time in Hawaii.

Do you like sea days? Then do the RT just for the sea days.

The Spirit Class has a much nicer deck plan flow than the Splendor Class.

Oh, the state is California

From personal experience and based on the opinions of the 5 others who cruised with us, I would NOT cruise to Hawaii. We wish we had put the money toward a land trip visiting more of the islands OR go on that other line like my sisters did. They saw so much more than we did. Thats just my opinion.

From personal experience and based on the opinions of the 5 others who cruised with us, I would NOT cruise to Hawaii. We wish we had put the money toward a land trip visiting more of the islands OR go on that other line like my sisters did. They saw so much more than we did. Thats just my opinion.

But a lot of people don't want to spend a lot of time on each island. The OP is asking about cruises.

Personally, I would go for the longer. I have been on the Splendor and the Legend and liked them both. I did Hawaii as a B2B2B when the Spirit relocated to Australia in 2012. I love being able to visit the islands and see the sights, but know that my room and food, and entertainment is already all paid for. I feel with a taste of the Islands, if you love one more than another, you can go back for a longer visit. Nothing worse than being stuck somewhere and not enjoying it.

I was on the Spirit for 35 days from Seattle to Sydney and was never bored, but you need to be able to entertain yourself too. I love sea days. There will be plenty to do onboard, but bring things you like to do too.

The Legend is easier to get around, but it isn't a deal breaker. With 14 nights on the Splendor and you will be a pro at navigating the ship. I would much rather be cruising on a ship, than sitting on an airplane.

Debbie

If it was the same cruise from and to the same place, I would pick Legend just because spirit class ships are the best IMO. Have been on Splendor a few times and tho she is not one of my favorites, we had very enjoyable cruises on her. If I was paying the same amount of $ I would opt for the longer cruise. I would much rather be on a ship than on a plane (or anywhere else for that matter lol) It will be 3 more days of being pampered and spoiled which you certainly deserve on your honeymoon! And if you DO pick the Splendor and you have a honeymoon baby, it will be a girl!!! ;p (ask anyone who has ever been on Splendor lol)

Thanks so much for all the replies. I believe I will end up changing to the splendor. At this point, I just want to get a taste of hawaii on a cruise and then if I like it, I'll do a land trip in hawaii. It really is more about the boat and the cruise for us this time around. We want to be nice and relaxed. And spend lots of time just watching the ocean!

I have only ever been on one carnival cruise and it was a 5 day bahama trip on the fascination in 2014, but I have decided to do a honeymoon cruise to hawaii. I originally booked an 11 day trip to hawaii on the legend, but have noticed a few weeks later there is a 14 day on splendor. I am having trouble deciding and here are my reasons. A longer trip always sounds better, but the 14 day does only have 4 islands instead of five and takes off one of the best, but I have never flown before. The 14 day on splendor begins and ends in cali. The plane trip will only be five hours. The 11 days trip will be 7 hours to Vancouver and 13 hours back from Honolulu. I get very restless, so I'm not sure how that will go. Not to mention the round trip ticket rate for the Cali tickets are cheaper than both the trip to vancouver and the trip back from honolulu, so the extra price for the 14 day cruise evens out. Many people have said it is about the ports many times and not the ship. I am going to be having many sea days. I need a good ship with lots to do and not get bored after a few days. I do not know much about legend or splendor, but I do know legend goes into dry dock next year before the cruises, so it may be more updated and cleaner than splendor at that point, especially with the technical issues splendor has been experiencing. So any thoughts? What would you do and why? Thanks in advance!!

I am a little confused on your flight times. The flight to and from Vancouver-Honolulu is a little under 6 hours. Why are you stating 13 hours?

I am a little confused on your flight times. The flight to and from Vancouver-Honolulu is a little under 6 hours. Why are you stating 13 hours?

These flight times are from where I live. The ship leaves out from Vancouver and I would have to fly back from Honolulu. Whereas a flight to LA is only about 5 hours from where I live.

Wow that is a quandry :o Legend is my favorite ship and I love the spirit class - was lucky enough to sail the Miracle 15 days to Hawaii. Now that being said I have never been on the Splendor but I would take the 14 day cruise - ours was one of the most relaxing and fun. If you love sea days it's the perfect way to get them in.

Good luck with your decision.

We are doing 14 day Splendor in Jan 2019. Our decision was based on the fact my wife loves sea days, we get to see some of Hawaii, and the flights are much cheaper and shorter. What we save in air fare, we can put into a high end excursion like a helicopter tour of the island.

Neither one of us wanted to spend 9 hours on an airplane.

I'm booked on the Splendor for 10/13/18. Is this the cruise you're referring to? If so, it has 6 ports... 4 sea days in the front, 6 islands in a row in the middle, then 4 sea days in the back. I've never been on the Splendor or Legend, but I chose because of the itinerary. I'll find out the rest when we cruise. Happy Honeymoon

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, we are booked on the January 2019 14 day Hawaii cruise. We have been on both ships, loved both. Sea days are for relaxing, hanging out and people watching. 12 day Russia Baltic Sea on Legend and twice on Splendor.

Go for the 14 day Hawaii. You only have one honeymoon ( I'll be celebrating 42 years June 2019):cool:

I'm booked on the Splendor for 10/13/18. Is this the cruise you're referring to? If so, it has 6 ports... 4 sea days in the front, 6 islands in a row in the middle, then 4 sea days in the back.

I don't know where you saw 6 ports. This cruise only has 5 ports: Maui, Honolulu, Kona, Hilo & Ensenada.