Taxi to / from Grand Central to Manhattan Cruise Ship Terminal

5kitty

We will go in and out of Grand Central for our cruise on NCL. It's been awhile since I had to take a cab anywhere from Grand Central. Is there a certain area outside of Grand Central that it's easier to get a cab from? At the end of the cruise, we want to walk off the ship as early as possible. Is there a taxi stand at the cruise ship terminal or is it a "free for all" with everyone trying for the same cab? Approximately how far from Grand Central is the Cruise Ship Terminal? Thanks.

There is a taxi stand on East 42nd Street just outside the terminal near Vanderbilt Avenue that has a dispatcher from 7am to 11pm. The terminal is about 2 to 3 miles from the Cruise port. Time wise I guess about 15 plus minutes ride.

I should add that if a number of ships are leaving that morning traffic on local streets near the cruise port can be heavy. Also traffic can be backed up on the ramp leading to the terminal entrance. You can check the website for the cruise terminal to see how many ships are embarking the day you leave.

When disembarking I believe the taxi stand is on 12th Avenue @48th street.

Edited by Noxequifans

Yes there is a cab line right outside Grand Central. Stay on the same side of the street, don't cross.

There is a dispatcher at the terminal. IF you truely are one of the first off the ship, you won't have much of a wait. But, they do stack up horrifically as time goes on, with over hour waits. It is a semi "free for all", because people run across 12 th Ave and flag down cabs before they get to the cruise port. :) You need to keep walking down 12th to beat out others, if there are numerous people doing this.

Most of the times I've been there, long waits are the norm.

Me, I just, walk back and forth to 42nd St and just take the 42 bus. Drops off/picks up right at Grand Central, as well as Port Authority.