How disabled friendly is NCL Breakaway?

pls5286

On our last cruise, I was able to walk using my hubby for assistance and taking frequent breaks.

Now due to a failed knee surgery, I will be using a manual wc and considering renting a scooter for the cruise. We have booked a handicapped room. I need a shower chair as well. I can do very short distances with my cane and brace.

How friendly is Norwegian to a wc or scooter?

Any tips?

On our last cruise, I was able to walk using my hubby for assistance and taking frequent breaks.

Now due to a failed knee surgery, I will be using a manual wc and considering renting a scooter for the cruise. We have booked a handicapped room. I need a shower chair as well. I can do very short distances with my cane and brace.

How friendly is Norwegian to a wc or scooter?

Any tips?

Since you booked an accessible room the shower already has a fold down seat so it's not necessary to request a shower chair.

The Breakaway was built in 2013. The general rule of thumb is the newer the ship the more accessible the public areas will be . However keep in mind being that's it's a foreign flagged ship it does not have to comply with USA ADA specifications regarding public areas at this time. With that said there will be times that you may encounter difficulty moving about the ship but that's typical of any cruise ship. More often than not if there's difficulty it's attributed to able body passengers that pay no attention to someone in a wheelchair or scooter and just jump out in front of them.

I have been on the Breakaway twice with a scooter, I found no problem, except you can not get to the top deck, which if I recall was for sunbathing only. As with any cruise ship the elevators can be a problem, I have learned to just take the first one you can get into, doesn’t,matter if it is going up or down.

The crew was very good. I have noticed that on both Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity when I go into the buffet, I always had ship employees asking to help me, this did not happen on NCL. I had to ask for help if my wife was not around.

Bottom line, I would take the Breakaway again, we just got tried of the same cruise out of New York.