good packable down jacket?

poss

We're scheduled for a Norway cruise in June/July. I tend to get cold very easily, so I'm concerned about how I'll fare in possibly quite cold and windy conditions. I don't want to spend more than about $75 (because I'll have no use for the jacket afterwards). A friend recommended the Wantdo brand, so I ordered one from Amazon. I liked the look and fit of the jacket, but it provided scarcely any warmth. I wore it outside when the temps were in the 50's, and I didn't feel much warmth from the jacket.

Would much appreciate suggestions for good warm packable jacket. Let's say under $100?

Thanks!

Sorry I can't help with the packable down jacket.

But, I want to suggest that you have a good raincoat for your trip. On our last trip to Norway it rained quite a bit and you don't want to miss any sightseeing by not being prepared.

I'll be interested to read the responses for a packable down coat too.

I would look at Uniqlo in your price range. The sizes run a bit small so most likely order 1 size up from your normal size. Are you also planning to pack a waterproof rain jacket to wear on top of the down jacket? Down jackets under $100 are not usually going to be waterproof, and in Norway I think you'll want something for rain too.

Layering often works better than just one "warm" item. I would suggest silk underwear (takes up very little room) plus whatever your normal next layers would be. Then, as suggested, a good fleece and a raincoat or jacket on top.

The fleece and silk insulate and keep you warmer and the top layer helps to keep out moisture but also the chilling wind.

We've done a Norway cruise twice in June. I had a waterproof jacket with detachable fleece lining. When we were there last year the daytime temperatures were around 15-18c.

We also took waterproof over trousers which we also wore. It's best to take layers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband and I both have packable down jackets that come with us on just about every cruise. We love them, they keep us warm and toasty, they weigh practically nothing, and compress down to about 6x6". Mine is Patagonia which I bought on sale for about $100 from Dick's, and dh's is very similar but from BJ's wholesale club and cost about $30. If you are a wholesale club member, BJ's or Costco or wherever, check there. One tip...find one that packs into its pocket instead of a separate bag, so you don't have to worry about keeping track of the bag.

Disclaimer: we each also have lightweight rain jackets that we wear over the down when the situation warrants it.

img_2792

I got from Cabela's a women's XPG rain jacket, now on sale. I tested ~6 jackets and this was most waterproof. Very packable, rolls into a little bag. Choose size with whatever layering jacket you have in mind. I'll be using it for our June Baltic cruise followed by Ireland.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've had good results in the Faroe Islands (on the water) and at high altitudes in Switzerland, both during the summer when warm clothing wasn't needed the rest of the time, with an Ascent Packaway Vest from L.L. Bean, but I'm not sure that they make it any more. Because it's a vest it packs smaller than a jacket with sleeves, so if you will have a rain jacket to wear over it, I suggest considering a vest rather than a jacket.

I am not 'coat' person per se as I am normally get by with very little in winter just hoping in and out of the car. We just went to Quebec, Canada over Christmas week and it was -12F. Cold like I never experienced, but I was prepared.

I also didn't want to speed too much as I wasn't going to use it much, I got a mid thigh coat from BJs for $49. It's an Ellen Tracey brand and comes with it's own packing bag. For the extreme Canadian temps, I had several layers on, but for Scandinavia in summer it should be fine.

We went to Norway in late June early July and its waterproof and layers that you need. A Poncho like you get at the Theme parks works well and then layers. We started with jumpers and thin jackets in the morning and ended the afternoon quite often in t shirts. We were really lucky however with the weather.

I live in Norway and have a very expensive packable down jacket from a high-end sportswear company. And I never wear it.

I just haven't figured out how to use it when dealing with wind and drizzle. It's wind and water resistant, but since I never know if the weather is going to change and get windier or wetter, I'm nervous wearing it. I feel like I'd have to put a shell over it anyway. So since I don't like feeling like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man, I'd rather wear a fully wind- and waterproof shell with a standard zip-up fleece underneath.

So I would spend that $75 on the best breathable waterproof jacket you can find (FYI - skip GoreTex and go for a company's own breathable laminate solution to save $$$). An added bonus is that if you bring/wear a few different fleece of different thickness, you have a huge variety of "jacket" options to choose from, depending on the day's weather.

Many thanks to all responders for the helpful and thoughtful replies. I've made notes and am pursuing.

I happened to see on the G.W. Bass outlet stores on line 2 puffer-type jackets that have appeal. Whether they are warm enough (for someone who gets cold easily), I don't know.

I do, btw, have a good rain jacket that I could wear over the whatever.

And I like the idea of waterproof trousers.