Is Kenail Fjord cruise still good after Alaska cruise ending in Seward?

Middleager

We'll be taking the NCL Jewel cruise from Vancouver July 9 to Seward July 16. We're renting a car in Anchorage, to drive to Denali and Fairbanks, before flying back out on July 19.

After disembarking, we can take the morning bus to Anchorage. Is it still worthwhile to take another cruise to Kenail Fjord NP? How is the 6hr vs the 7.5hr cruise, both look expensive.

We did the Kenai Fjord cruise at the end of our DIY land tour before our cruise, but this would still apply. We saw more wildlife on that cruise than we did on the big ship - kittiwakes, otters, seals, sea lions, orcas, puffins - it's a wildlife bonanza!!!! Also we got close enough to a glacier that we could actually hear it when it was calving. We didn't get near enough to the glacier on our Celebrity cruise to get that experience.

As for cost, look at either the TourSaver or Northern Lights coupon books. I think when we cruised they had a buy one get one or something like that. Even if I hadn't had the coupon, I would have booked the trip - totally worth it.

I think that the Kenai Fjords trips are very worthwhile. You are so much closer to the water so also much closer to the wildlife. And we always do the longest available.

But if you are disembarking on July 16 and fly out of Fairbanks on July 19 what are the plans for Denali? Will spending a day on a Kenai Fjords trip cut time short for Denali?

We'll be taking the NCL Jewel cruise from Vancouver July 9 to Seward July 16. We're renting a car in Anchorage, to drive to Denali and Fairbanks, before flying back out on July 19.

After disembarking, we can take the morning bus to Anchorage. Is it still worthwhile to take another cruise to Kenail Fjord NP? How is the 6hr vs the 7.5hr cruise, both look expensive.

Are you interested in wildlife and glaciers? Sorry there is NO comparison to anything seen from a cruise ship. For, me, absolutely it is "worthwhile" and I ALWAYS do multiple boat tours of Kenai Fjords every year. " :)

Up to you, what you want out of your trip. I don't find them "expensive". My time and experience is what matters to me with my Alaska visits. :)

Another vote for the Kenai Fjords Tour. The longer the tour the better, but at least the 6 hour tour at a minimum.

As far as cost, everything in Alaska is more expensive than you expect, especially if you are used to Caribbean excursions. I made a mistake on my first Alaska cruise by not doing some excursions due to cost, which I later regretted. Don’t let a few hundred dollars keep you from taking an excursion you are interested in, especially if you are unsure if / when you may go to Alaska again. The cost in both time and money to come back and do it another time is much more expensive. And the memories of the experience will be remembered long after the price is forgotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JT1962

Thanks for the responses. Before the Alaska cruise, we'll be driving through the Rockies, and will be standing on the Columbia Icefield and see other glaciers (again). We've seen sea lions, otters, etc. up close often. But we'll look into this Knai Fjord cruise.

I checked the coupon books. Toursaver does apply for Major Marine 7.5hr cruise, but the book itself is $80 + shipping ($65 to Canada, or $10 to US), to save $50/p, and other coupons (rails, excursions) are not valid for the days we are in port (they timed their coupons well). The Northern Light only applies to 8:30am Alaskan Explorer 6-hr cruise, so we'd need to be rushed to get to that. Other NL coupons also do not apply on the days we are in port (they timed the coupon invalid days well)

I would put it this way: the views from the cruise ship is like watching a football game sitting up in the bleachers. The views you'll find on a Kenai Fjord (or Prince William Sound) trip is like watching the football game standing directly on the sideline.

I would put it this way: the views from the cruise ship is like watching a football game sitting up in the bleachers. The views you'll find on a Kenai Fjord (or Prince William Sound) trip is like watching the football game standing directly on the sideline.

Perfect explanation!

Thanks for the responses. Before the Alaska cruise, we'll be driving through the Rockies, and will be standing on the Columbia Icefield and see other glaciers (again). We've seen sea lions, otters, etc. up close often. But we'll look into this Knai Fjord cruise.

I checked the coupon books. Toursaver does apply for Major Marine 7.5hr cruise, but the book itself is $80 + shipping ($65 to Canada, or $10 to US), to save $50/p, and other coupons (rails, excursions) are not valid for the days we are in port (they timed their coupons well). The Northern Light only applies to 8:30am Alaskan Explorer 6-hr cruise, so we'd need to be rushed to get to that. Other NL coupons also do not apply on the days we are in port (they timed the coupon invalid days well)

I found the Columbia Icefield just magnificent! It was the first glacier I had stood on and I was mesmerized. But the Kenai tour is great and then the Glacier National Park was wonderful. All different, all worth the time and money!

Are you interested in wildlife and glaciers? Sorry there is NO comparison to anything seen from a cruise ship. For, me, absolutely it is "worthwhile" and I ALWAYS do multiple boat tours of Kenai Fjords every year. " :)

Up to you, what you want out of your trip. I don't find them "expensive". My time and experience is what matters to me with my Alaska visits. :)

Hi BQ,

During my cruisetour with Princess this summer, and my second trip to Alaska, out of all my excursions, the Kenai Fjords cruise is the one I am looking forward to the most and loving what I am hearing about this cruise on this thread. This is the only trip offered with the Kenai princess lodge. So of course I booked it

https://www.princesslodges.com/excursions/kenai-fjords-park-cruise/

it's a 10 hour excursion in total, travel time is 2 hours each way from the lodge it says. So that means the cruise will be roughly 6 hours? Just wondering, if anyone can answer this, will I be seeing a good amount of the Kenai Fjords park with this tour (that being the wildlife, the glaciers etc) ?

• 4 weeks later...
Hi BQ,

During my cruisetour with Princess this summer, and my second trip to Alaska, out of all my excursions, the Kenai Fjords cruise is the one I am looking forward to the most and loving what I am hearing about this cruise on this thread. This is the only trip offered with the Kenai princess lodge. So of course I booked it

https://www.princesslodges.com/excursions/kenai-fjords-park-cruise/

it's a 10 hour excursion in total, travel time is 2 hours each way from the lodge it says. So that means the cruise will be roughly 6 hours? Just wondering, if anyone can answer this, will I be seeing a good amount of the Kenai Fjords park with this tour (that being the wildlife, the glaciers etc) ?

In the past, the Princess Kenai Lodge also just ran a shuttle service to Seward. Is this still available? I'd suggest checking after they open for the season, calling directly. Depending on the shuttle schedule, you'd likely have more options.

In the past, Princess also contracted with Kenai Fjords tours- I'll speculate that won't change. This Princess package- is the minimum distance in. The vendors website, has a map and all your details. A key- detail- is the included chicken wrap- that verifies its Kenai Fjords tour, as vendor.

We want to cruise at Kenai Fjord after our NCL Cruise, too. What can we do with our luggage while cruising in Kenai Fjord?

Depends- vendors all will store luggage, but you could also drop at lodging, or the train station if using either.

In the past, the Princess Kenai Lodge also just ran a shuttle service to Seward. Is this still available? I'd suggest checking after they open for the season, calling directly. Depending on the shuttle schedule, you'd likely have more options.

In the past, Princess also contracted with Kenai Fjords tours- I'll speculate that won't change. This Princess package- is the minimum distance in. The vendors website, has a map and all your details. A key- detail- is the included chicken wrap- that verifies its Kenai Fjords tour, as vendor.

Thanks BQ, just don’t know what Kenai Fjords cruise vendor I’ll be with. I’ll email the princess Kenai lodge, hopefully they will be able to tell me

Thanks BQ, just don’t know what Kenai Fjords cruise vendor I’ll be with. I’ll email the princess Kenai lodge, hopefully they will be able to tell me

As I mentioned, Kenai Fjords tours.

There are only 2 large vendors in Seward. Kenai Fjords tours and Major Marine. Their 6 hour tour is essentially the same. I mentioned, the chicken wrap? What is mentioned in your Princess description? Your answer is there. They've switched vendors- if it mentions Cooper River Salmon and roast beef. (NOT Fox Lodge- salmon bake, which is run by Kenai Fjords tours)

There are only 2 large vendors in Seward. Kenai Fjords tours and Major Marine. Their 6 hour tour is essentially the same. I mentioned, the chicken wrap? What is mentioned in your Princess description? Your answer is there. They've switched vendors- if it mentions Cooper River Salmon and roast beef. (NOT Fox Lodge- salmon bake, which is run by Kenai Fjords tours)

Got it. Thanks again :) here’s hoping to see lots of whales during my trip :)

Got it. Thanks again :) here’s hoping to see lots of whales during my trip :)

Ummmm... whales really aren't a given on these tours. I have been on several and only seen a whale once. Also, the schedule is pretty tight and even if whales are spotted they can't hang around for too long. If whales are a priority I would suggest a whale watch in Juneau.

Ummmm... whales really aren't a given on these tours. I have been on several and only seen a whale once. Also, the schedule is pretty tight and even if whales are spotted they can't hang around for too long. If whales are a priority I would suggest a whale watch in Juneau.

Thanks for your input. I read a lot of reviews on trip advisor of people who have said they saw lots of orcas and humpbacks, some have seen whale breaches. You never know, it’s abundant wildlife, anything could happen

Everyone is talking about Kenai Fjords boat trips, yes they are wonderful....However, no one is talking about how much driving you are going to do, and how little time you will have. Seward is 3 hours from Anchorage....on a good day...If it is sockeye fishing time, add at least another hour...at least...It is 7 hours from Anchorage to Denali on a good day....There will be construction....and stops...upwards to an hour.....if you get there late, you won't see anything. You have to book a tour or a shuttle into the park to see anything.....You can only drive about 14 miles back into the park, and much of that is taken up with administration buildings.and camping grounds. From Denali to Fairbanks, add another 3 hours....again...on a good day. Most of all of this road is 2 lanes, much is 40 MPH or so....and then, did I mention construction? Summer is construction season...We can't build anything when the ground is frozen 6' down....:) Rethink your plan...Perhaps stay in the Kenai and explore a bit of that? But think of all of that driving...Please. Alaska is big, really really big...From ND/Canadian border all the way down to Arkansas....and the Aleutians hand out of San Francisco, and the south east...(where you cruise) hands out over Jacksonville. Anchorage is bigger than the state of Delaware.

Fox Island has some of the best Prime Rib....along with the salmon.....that I have ever had. The trip to Fox Island is a good trip,,,I do it every year or so..

Everyone is talking about Kenai Fjords boat trips, yes they are wonderful....However, no one is talking about how much driving you are going to do, and how little time you will have. Seward is 3 hours from Anchorage....on a good day...If it is sockeye fishing time, add at least another hour...at least...It is 7 hours from Anchorage to Denali on a good day....There will be construction....and stops...upwards to an hour.....if you get there late, you won't see anything. You have to book a tour or a shuttle into the park to see anything.....You can only drive about 14 miles back into the park, and much of that is taken up with administration buildings.and camping grounds. From Denali to Fairbanks, add another 3 hours....again...on a good day. Most of all of this road is 2 lanes, much is 40 MPH or so....and then, did I mention construction? Summer is construction season...We can't build anything when the ground is frozen 6' down....:) Rethink your plan...Perhaps stay in the Kenai and explore a bit of that? But think of all of that driving...Please. Alaska is big, really really big...From ND/Canadian border all the way down to Arkansas....and the Aleutians hand out of San Francisco, and the south east...(where you cruise) hands out over Jacksonville. Anchorage is bigger than the state of Delaware.

Hey Husky,

Yes I am aware of the travel time to get to Seward. I’ll be coming from the Kenai Princess Lodge and have booked my Kenai Fjords excursion with the hotel. It says the travel time will be 2 hours each way, via motorcoach. The excursion is 10 hours total including the travel time