Type of weather Rhine river in September

Travelw

Mixed temperatures and amount of rain! As you will likely be travelling for seven days at least if you book a conventional river cruise I would say expect a range of temperatures from possibly 10 at night to 25 degrees (all Celsius) on a good day. The evenings are still mild sometimes but I would not regard September as a good month for wearing t-shirts anymore (I tend to get cool easily). You can have rainy days or a last "heat" wave pushing the thermometer up to 30 degrees in a city. September is not a particularly rainy month and the climate is mild on the Rhine, there are rainier areas in Germany, but the general weather pattern is that from around Strasbourg to the Netherlands the temperatures decrease and the rain becomes more frequent, but that pattern is not very pronounced. If you have 20 degrees in Strasbourg, it will not automatically be only 10 in Amsterdam.

This weather site is a little complicated to manouvre around first but I found some interesting pages that could help you: https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/city?LANG=en&UP=0&WMO=10516&CONT=euro&NOREGION=1&CEL=C&ART=tab&LEVEL=161&R=161

I put in Koblenz for you for some planning. Just change the month. However, a word of warning. The weather stations along the Rhine are not all on the Rhine as such. The one in Koblenz for example is on a hill above the town therefore temperatures will be a little cooler than in town. Bonn has a station right out of town.

Some climate diagrams on wikipedia could help you as well. I am sure there are some American weather sites that give averages, too. Accuweather has only temperatures, not rain: https://www.accuweather.com/en/de/cologne/50667/month/180169?monyr=9/01/2017

notamermaid

We had amazing weather on the Rhine in September. I think it was likely a bit unseasonable (based on notamermaid's post) - but we had no rain after the 1st afternoon in Amsterdam. I remember sitting on the deck (in the area in front of the lounge) - beverage in hand - and thinking that life was wonderful... Sunshine, good company, a cool drink - and lots of castles to look at. Most days started out requiring a light sweater - but ended as being "t-shirt days" by the afternoon.

I was prepared for rain and cooler temps - and ecstatic when it didn't materialize!! We tend to travel in the shoulder seasons, and always pack layers... just in case.

Fran

We cruised the Rhine and Moselle last Sept15 two weeks. A bit of rain the mornings cooler temps 50's and high 60's perfect for touring. Our tour guide told us to dress like an onion.. Just layer up and peel as the temp got warmer... Enjoy... we loved it!:)

We cruised the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel the last half of Sept 2017. Amsterdam had light rain one day pre-cruise. The cruise weather was nice jacket weather most days. We like to travel Sept/Oct due to cooler weather and fewer crowds. We did pack warm clothing for a few days in Switzerland to see Jungfraujoch.