Crab Feast - Ketchikan?

macfam5

Who has done the crab feast at George Inlet Lodge? How was it? Did you add the boat or sea plane tour to your excursion?

I have done both. With the boat, you will eat with around 100 folks. With the plane version, you will eat with 12 folks in a much smaller room.

I prefer the plane flight and the amazing pictures of your ship as you take off/land only a few yards from it. There are lots of stairs but a van for those who may have difficulty getting up/down them. We did see some black bear cubs near the water edge a few years ago.

Hint: Skip the appetizers and save your appetite for the crab. Free beverages are included. No need to impress your fellow passengers with your eating etiquette. Just raise your hand and another half crab will find your plate. Most passengers have no room for the excellent NY cheesecake dessert. Gluttony rules!!!

My photo review of both excursions:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/ketchikan-2/ketchikan-crab-feasting/

IMG_1616.jpg

Ahh. Thank you.

We are going for the third time in early May-can hardly wait. This time we just booked with the Lodge for just the crab. We did the exploration boat, and the lumberjack show before, which are fun, but wouldn't go a second time.

Totally agree about just eating the crab. We thought we were experts and ate about 5 crabs each, but some of our group just kept on picking!

Its a beautiful drive and area, definitely a 5 star experience.

Wilderness Explorer & Crab Feast was one of the best excursions we have taken on our 2 Alaska cruises. We went on the boat to the crab traps & the captain fed swooping down eagles a few feet from the boat & the Dungeness crab feast at the lodge was excellent. Going back next year & it will be the first excursion we book.

Yep have done the Crab fest. Nope. no interest in adding anything, I've just gone here direct with walk up using their shuttle service. Last season, I noted, the "time" has gotten shorter than what it was several years ago, and it remains so. It is of benefit to just focus on the crab then fill in with the extras at the end perhaps..

I have done both. With the boat, you will eat with around 100 folks. With the plane version, you will eat with 12 folks in a much smaller room.

I prefer the plane flight and the amazing pictures of your ship as you take off/land only a few yards from it. There are lots of stairs but a van for those who may have difficulty getting up/down them. We did see some black bear cubs near the water edge a few years ago.

Hint: Skip the appetizers and save your appetite for the crab. Free beverages are included. No need to impress your fellow passengers with your eating etiquette. Just raise your hand and another half crab will find your plate. Most passengers have no room for the excellent NY cheesecake dessert. Gluttony rules!!!

My photo review of both excursions:

Thank you for your photos. I'm now even more excited than I was before

Yep have done the Crab fest. Nope. no interest in adding anything, I've just gone here direct with walk up using their shuttle service. Last season, I noted, the "time" has gotten shorter than what it was several years ago, and it remains so. It is of benefit to just focus on the crab then fill in with the extras at the end perhaps..

Did you have to book any type of reservation or their food only "tour", or was it a true walk in?

(BTW - you have been such a big help with all of my trip planning!!! :hearteyes:)

Did you have to book any type of reservation or their food only "tour", or was it a true walk in?

(BTW - you have been such a big help with all of my trip planning!!! :hearteyes:)

I've just called and found out, what times are available, and simply walk over to the visitor center, to their shuttle. You can also, book right at the visitor center. I'd suggest you find out what's available, early in your port time, scheduling it, according to all your plans.

You can see what times are available for just the feast for your specific day on their website and even make a reservation. ( link in my post above) There are 4 ships in Ketchikan on our day, so I worry about it being full.

This is on our list, my only worry is it's going to have to be an early lunch, like 10am....

I was wondering the same thing. Does anyone know if they do the exploration boat first and then lunch?

You can see what times are available for just the feast for your specific day on their website and even make a reservation. ( link in my post above) There are 4 ships in Ketchikan on our day, so I worry about it being full.

We also have 4 ships in port on our day as well. I think I will be booking directly through the website today!!

I was wondering the same thing. Does anyone know if they do the exploration boat first and then lunch?

When I took this excursion, the boat was after feasting. Note that there is a 20 - 30 minute drive just to get to the lodge, then beverages, appetizers, and crab cracking demo, so first crab bite probably around 11:00 AM.

As you stroll around the patio before/after lunch, keep an eye out for bears near the rocky waterline.

Here is a picture of your boat:

P5120009.jpg

I see on their website that the stand-alone price of the crab feast is $69. Does that include any transportation there and back? Or do you walk off all that crab on a 20 mile hike back to the ship?

It includes the bus trip to and from port. I just booked this feast only on-line, and the receipt has a little map of the port area and where to meet.