Salmon bake

Seabiscuit66

yes, I have gone to salmon bakes, in Skagway, Juneau, Fairbanks, Seward.

I only do walk up as these are mostly just covered outside areas, then I can add it, if I feel like it. :) Not the best idea in cold and/or rain, as I like my food, piping hot. :)

I avoid salmon bakes. I always ask and am always told the salmon is "Alaska wild salmon" but given the volume they do, I have my doubts. It is also frozen and usually a less desirable salmon species. Of course, dipnetting at Chitina for Copper River reds has left me a bit spoiled. I find the side dishes to be lackluster, and although most salmon bakes have covered areas, eating in the cold and wind can be miserable, as BQ mentioned above.

If you want the best salmon experience (and glaciers and a bear), fly out to Taku Lodge in Juneau. They have the best salmon I've ever had with the appetizer a spectacular flight over Taku Glacier in a float plane, and after dinner entertainment when the bear shows up to clean up the grill.

Agree on the Copper River salmon. Were dipping on the Copper a couple years ago and stayed at a campground right on the river. On weekends they had a pot-luck bbq in the evenings with bbq King salmon. Nothing better!!!:p:p:p