Phone Conundrum

grsnovi

Seeking suggestions...

We are US-based and currently have so-called "feature phones" and after checking with our provider (Sprint) we were told that our current phones will not work in Europe (the Samsung Rant does not have a SIM card that can be popped out and replaced with a locally purchased SIM card). I'm not wild about being in a situation where I would have to rely on public phones. Sprint of course would like to upgrade both my hardware and our service. What I'd like would be a short-term solution valid for the 2 weeks we'll be out of the country that would include international calling if needed. I'm perfectly happy with what we have as far as domestic service. Any ideas? Thanks!

Did some searching on your Samsung Rant.

Gotta say,, not impressed.

Your phone is fixed on CDMA whereas everything now days is GSM (to include Europe)

Your phone is not capable of WiFi calling so that's out.

You can rent a cellular phone from http://www.onesimcard.com/international-phone-rental/

However, I'm thinking your best bet is to come into the 2018's and upgrade your phone.

Not sure of your age or your current plan but I just switched over to T-Mobile (who is about to merge with Sprint) and they have a plan with unlimited calling, unlimited text, and unlimited data for 2 lines if you are over 55 for $70 all in to include taxes and fees. (And includes Europe)

Did some searching on your Samsung Rant...

...your best bet is to come into the 2018's and upgrade your phone.

Not sure of your age or your current plan but I just switched over to T-Mobile (who is about to merge with Sprint) and they have a plan with unlimited calling, unlimited text, and unlimited data for 2 lines if you are over 55 for $70 all in to include taxes and fees. (And includes Europe)

The Rant has a dedicated ascii keyboard and is easy for text.

I'm 64, I don't live on my phone and would likely never download apps to it however we've wrestled with the whole upgrade thing and this could likely be the tipping point. Thanks for your plan details.

I'm 64, I don't live on my phone and would likely never download apps to it however we've wrestled with the whole upgrade thing and this could likely be the tipping point. Thanks for your plan details.

Your and my usage seem to be similar.

My phone is unlocked and with 2 simcards.

I use onesimcard.com for overseas calls and tel3.com for domestic.

I’m 61 but yes, I live on my phone.

Ask the adult kids or grandkids for help.

They would be proud to help out.

Heck, it was a couple of years ago when I had to teach my 82 yo dad how to text with his flip phone.

We use our ipads. Never bother taking a phone with us.

I would not bother renting a phone. Buy an inexpensive one on Amazon. Just ensure that it is unlocked. Or buy a better quality phone and use it at home as well as when you travel.