British Isles Explorer - Itinerary Change !

molymoo

We are booked on the August 4th sailing of the Sky and will be enjoying the British Isles Explorer itinerary. They posted the excursions a couple of weeks ago and we noticed that the Liverpool port had excursions for Glasgow listed ... I sent an email to "tellus@..." asking about the discrepancy and received a reply stating that they would look into it and get back to me. I have continued to hawk the site and today the Liverpool stop is gone and sure enough Glasgow is now the stop for day 10 of our "journey" (we have a pre-extension in Edinburgh). The Viking Oceans site is still listing Liverpool as a destination so wonder if this change is specific to our sailing or will be in effect for all British Isles cruises. It is possible it may still take some time to make changes on the main site but wonder if others on different dates have noticed this change in their MVJ,

A bit disappointed ... as a Beatles fan ... to be missing Liverpool, but will certainly enjoy the lovely city of Glasgow. Just wondering what may have prompted the change. :confused:

Edited by molymoo

What a pity to miss Liverpool. It's a wonderful vibrant city, with such a lot to see and do. Not just the Beatles stuff, but lots of other museums, restaurants, wonderful shops - all in easy walking distance of the docking pier.

Glasgow is good too - but imho Liverpool is better. (Maybe I'm biased... I live about 60 miles away from there!)

I just checked MVJ for Viking Sun's August 11, 2018 sailing and it still shows Liverpool and all the Liverpool shore excursion choices.

Lucky you! Just got an email from Viking addressing the change and they are citing "logistical issues". Sounds like it won't be a permanent change (fingers crossed for you guys!). I'm disappointed but it won't spoil the trip for us ... guess I will have do my Beatles pilgrimage on my own some other time! :')

Thanks to your tip I have started researching Glasgow, and frankly it sounds more interesting [except for the Beatles part] than Liverpool. OTOH it would be a real bummer for me, because we plan to spend the day there with my long-time Manchester pen-friend and her sister.

Lucky you! Just got an email from Viking addressing the change and they are citing "logistical issues". Sounds like it won't be a permanent change (fingers crossed for you guys!). I'm disappointed but it won't spoil the trip for us ... guess I will have do my Beatles pilgrimage on my own some other time! :')

I think there's only room for one ship on the pier at Liverpool - and Oceania Marina seems to be there on August 4th.

http://www.cruise-liverpool.com/cruise-call-schedule/

I believe the relevant day for OP would be August 10, but in any case there is one ship scheduled in Liverpool every day of OP's cruise and it is never Viking Sky. The port does show that Viking Sun is still scheduled for the Liverpool stop on all three of its 2018 British Isles Explorer sailings [May 11, August 19 and August 31]