Suggest a bar or pub in Dockyard

maurick

To relax with a beer or wine at the Dockyard? Thank you

If you appreciate real beer, then go to Frog and Onion. They brew real beer in their own brewery. They have outside seating as well so you can people watch and the food ain't bad either.

I totally agree with the suggestion as to the Frog and Onion. Each time I visit the island I head over there for a Dark and Stormy. They do have a beer tasting special of about four of their varieties.

HINT:) ..Don't ring the bell at the Frog and Onion!!!! But do go there...it's great!

Just about every bar in Bermuda has a bell mounted over it. If you ring it, that means you have just bought a round for everyone seated at the bar! It can mean other things in other countries.

Just about every bar in Bermuda has a bell mounted over it. If you ring it, that means you have just bought a round for everyone seated at the bar! It can mean other things in other countries.

Thanks, I probably would have ended up doing just that. Yikes!! At some local restaurants here a bell or a gong means that someone tipped extra.

Thanks, I probably would have ended up doing just that. Yikes!! At some local restaurants here a bell or a gong means that someone tipped extra.

That's what I thought too...until the temptation became tooo much and I rang it!!!!!:eek:

If you appreciate real beer, then go to Frog and Onion. They brew real beer in their own brewery. They have outside seating as well so you can people watch and the food ain't bad either.

bdaguy, how is the beer tasting? Good or should dh just go straight for a particular kind?

Personally I'm looking forward to the rum swizzler!

bdaguy, how is the beer tasting? Good or should dh just go straight for a particular kind?

Personally I'm looking forward to the rum swizzler!

It's rum swizzlE not swizzleR. You'll sound like a tourist if you call it that. Also it's BLACK rum, not dark rum, it's Dockyard, not the The Dockyards or Docklands. NEVER wear socks with sandals or clothes you wouldn't wear at home. ALWAYS say good morning/afternoon to the bus driver or anyone you want info from. It's the Bermudian way. It's also the Bermudian way to drink as well. Last time i checked, which was quite recent, they had porter(dark), St David's Light (light in colour, not alcohol content), two different ales and an unfiltered wheat beer. If you don't have a favourite or are unsure what real beer tastes like, then get the sampler which consists of an 8 ounce glass of each. Or be Bermudian and drink all five in the normal pint size glasses. For breakfast. Just joking. Most of us only have two pints before leaving the house.

It's rum swizzlE not swizzleR. You'll sound like a tourist if you call it that. Also it's BLACK rum, not dark rum, it's Dockyard, not the The Dockyards or Docklands. NEVER wear socks with sandals or clothes you wouldn't wear at home. ALWAYS say good morning/afternoon to the bus driver or anyone you want info from. It's the Bermudian way. It's also the Bermudian way to drink as well. Last time i checked, which was quite recent, they had porter(dark), St David's Light (light in colour, not alcohol content), two different ales and an unfiltered wheat beer. If you don't have a favourite or are unsure what real beer tastes like, then get the sampler which consists of an 8 ounce glass of each. Or be Bermudian and drink all five in the normal pint size glasses. For breakfast. Just joking. Most of us only have two pints before leaving the house.

Now I am very thirsty!!!!!!!!:D

Can't wait until until we sail May 18th!!

Sorry bdaguy for the misrepresentation of the rum swizzle..I'll try not to make that mistake again!!! Does it count if I've had a few too many of them?!!! And just to set the record straight...I would never wear socks with my sandals,I would only wear socks with my high heeled spikes!!! Dh may be up to the normal pints after he tries the sampler, but who knows when you are talking about REAL beer!!! LOL

So, this being at the Dockyard, can you walk there from the Snorkel Park? DH is golfing one day so I plan on taking our two DS snorkeling for the day and KNOW I'm gonna need a drink before getting on the bus back to St. Georges. I was hoping to avoid getting on and off the bus twice but really want to try out some brews at the Frog and Onion! I live in Maine and nearly every town has their own brew pub (not much else to do here when the winter lasts for 10 months - strongly recommend Geary's HSA in the winter. It'll cure what ails ya!).

bdaguy - love your posts. Funny and insightful. I'll be sure to put my husband in socks and sandals when he heads to the golf course as payback............

So, this being at the Dockyard, can you walk there from the Snorkel Park? DH is golfing one day so I plan on taking our two DS snorkeling for the day and KNOW I'm gonna need a drink before getting on the bus back to St. Georges. I was hoping to avoid getting on and off the bus twice but really want to try out some brews at the Frog and Onion.

I'll be sure to put my husband in socks and sandals when he heads to the golf course as payback............

Everything in Dockyard is in walking distance from other things in Dockyard. It's a relatively small area, maybe the size of three or four parking sections at Disneyworld (Sweaty, Thirsty, Whiney and Hungry). You might want to take the ferry back to St George's from Dockyard.

DH is gonna need a flower shirt and a Panama Jack hat to complete the look.

The "Sands" pronounciation is just an exception. And by the way Warwick parish is pronounced "Warick". I think all these dropped letters is due to the large numbers of beers we consume before and after work. The tongue gets lazy.

Here is a link to the Dockyard website. It'll tell you what restaurants are available when you're there. www.thewestend.bm/dockyard.html

The "Sands" pronounciation is just an exception. And by the way Warwick parish is pronounced "Warick". I think all these dropped letters is due to the large numbers of beers we consume before and after work. The tongue gets lazy.

That might explain why I've heard one of my favorite Irish brews, Smithwick's, pronounced without the "w"! :D

Husband and I stopped by the Frog and Onion for lunch last year while in Bermuda on the Grandeur. The waitstaff service was slow and unfriendly (and that's being generous). I work part time as a server at an upscale seafood house, so I usually give waitstaff quite a bit of slack. Our server spent ten minutes clearing a ten-top that had just left before even coming over to acknowledge us. When she did, she did not say hello, just "what do you want." We then waited another ten minutes for drinks (delivered by another server) another half hour for our sandwiches (also delivered by another server). Our server never once checked on us, but did give us the check and noted that the 15% gratuity was automatically added. We gladly paid the check (I would never stiff anyone, but I normally leave 25-30%). I did tell the manager on the way out if they continued to include gratuity, service should be much improved. We will not return.

Ok, so with the copius quantities of alcohol consumed by Bermudians, where do the locals go for good beer at a price they can afford in such quantities?

Personally, I'd much rather go to a local favorite rather than one of the touristy places that would probably not be open if the cruise ships were not in port.

Then again, maybe the locals don't want their favorite places overrun by tourists? Or maybe they would care to share some off-the-beaten-path watering holes?

Ok, so with the copius quantities of alcohol consumed by Bermudians, where do the locals go for good beer at a price they can afford in such quantities?

Personally, I'd much rather go to a local favorite rather than one of the touristy places that would probably not be open if the cruise ships were not in port.

Then again, maybe the locals don't want their favorite places overrun by tourists? Or maybe they would care to share some off-the-beaten-path watering holes?

Tourists are everywhere man! We are a very social people and truly enjoy sharing with you all. I'm at Frog and Onion a lot cos i live and work nearby and Hammerheads, when I'm in Hamilton I go to Hog Penny and The Beach. I think they'll let me back in The Beach now.

Archived