Santa Marta Tour info

girlguide

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be in Santa Marta in April and also on board the Enchantment, so hopefully this thread can help both of us out. It seems that the gorgeous Tayrona National Park is the thing to do, but it's been tough to find concrete info on getting there... I've heard that it takes between 30 min and an hour to drive there, and then another 30 min - hour to hike into the various areas of the park. We've managed to avoid the ship's tours in the past, but with only 8 hours in port I've been wondering if it's too risky to attempt this one our own. An hour to get from the dock to the beach would be acceptable, but 2 hours would not. I'd be extremely grateful to hear from anyone who has done this on their own and can offer insight as to the time (and cost) involved.

RCCL offers 2 excursions that go there: the Tayrona National Park Adventure - RS02 (6 1/2 hours, $120) and the Taste of Tayrona National Park - RS03 (4 hours, $72). Unfortunately their website offers pretty much nothing in the way of describing what either of these tours entail, other than that you go to the park and the longer excursion includes lunch. Has anyone done either of these? What are they like? Do you feel they were worth it?

I tried to find more info on some other sites & no luck.

We're leaning towards the 6 1/2 hour ship tour to the park - I couldn't find any private tours to the park and I don't think I want to depend on a taxi.:confused:

Hey there, I am on the Enchantment on Feb 1st. Am asking the same questions you guys are. I did Google Tayrona national Park and got a lot of great info, including over 200 species of birds, reptiles and I believe monkies. Renting horses to the beaches. I won't do ship excursions so I'll let you know what I find when I get there. I'm interested to see how the ship is handled since they will not be catering to us pirmary English speaking folks.

I won't return to the U.S. until Feb. 14. Will let you know.

Post if you find something out. Reviews of this new Enchantment port should be showing up soon.....?

We're not doing any other ship tours. We are considering this one only because it's a newer port of call, I can't find any private tour operator info & it's a tender port.

I remember seeing something about this port getting missed on a previous cruise because the seas were too rough for the tenders.

If we book through the ship for this then we will be reimbursed if the ship can't make the port.

We were in Santa Marta in November off the Prinsendam.

It's a nice city but not a lot to see there. It was pouring rain when we were there so we didn't take any tours but there were a number of tours that could be arranged by the tourism people at the dock.

They had walking tours of the city and tours to the park that took about 4 or 5 hours. That's what we would do if we go back there.

We were in Santa Marta in November off the Prinsendam.

It's a nice city but not a lot to see there. It was pouring rain when we were there so we didn't take any tours but there were a number of tours that could be arranged by the tourism people at the dock.

They had walking tours of the city and tours to the park that took about 4 or 5 hours. That's what we would do if we go back there.

Did you speak with anyone on your cruise who did a tour with any of the tourism people on the dock? Cost? Value?

• 3 weeks later...

I was on the Enchantment last week. Santa Marta was really not a good stop. Everyone who worked on the ship kept telling us that it was dangerous and be careful, so we just walked around the shops close to the ship and didn't do a side trip. I suggest you stay with a ship's tour.

I would agree, we had a few incidents in Santa Marta on our cruise. 2 crew members were stabbed in town and their backpack stolen. And one of the guests decided to go on there own with a taxi and ended up getting left by the driver and all there items stolen from them. Luckly they caught the taxi driver and got all their stuff back.

we only walked around town when we were there, but would stick to a ship tour if you want to go to the Tayrona national Park -- which I hear from others was a very nice tour.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got back...I was on the 6 1/2 hour tour. I would recommend it. It was roughly a one hour bus ride to the park. On the way a guide will talk about Santa Marta/Columbia history in Spanish/then English. There were many on the bus that spoke other languages as well. The guide did her best to include all. Once there, you will go on 1-2 hour hike. If you are somewhat fit, you will be fine. Be sure to wear shoes appropriate for hiking. We did not see monkeys or animals, other than alligator on the beach near runoff area. The views are absolutely beautiful. You will then go to a beach for a soda/water. Bring your swimsuit and sunscreen. There are lounges and a nice beach to swim. Also, tables with umbrellas. After an hour or so you will go to lunch. It is buffet, and it is fabulous. From talking to others on the cruise, this sounded like one of the better excursions.

• 4 months later...

I have read the comments and questions ... it would seem you will have now visited the port .. any info please.

We will be in Santa Marta in Oct .. and looking for ideas

on things to see and do.

Have previously been to Cartagena (loved it) a person would be crazy to stay on the ship and miss this port .. good deal when you return to th ship .. outside the shops at the pier area is a bar and seats on a grassed area .. great beer at a $1 a bottle.

Any idea's for a great day in either th city area or Park ?.

Thanks in advance

Neil:cool:

• 1 month later...

Hello Neil what ship will you be on in October? We will be on the Westerdam. If you are as well why don't you join us on the roll call thread as you can get many ideas there and get in on the CC meet and greets we are having. If you are we'll look for you over on that board.

Vince and Karen

Hello Neil what ship will you be on in October? We will be on the Westerdam. If you are as well why don't you join us on the roll call thread as you can get many ideas there and get in on the CC meet and greets we are having. If you are we'll look for you over on that board.

Vince and Karen

Hello Vince & Karen

Thanks but we are on HAL but the Zuidedam in Oct.

We also have a a great roll call going on just about everything but Santa Marta.

This port is seems will be the surprise package ... but sure it will be fun.

Enjoy your cruise

Neil

We did the City tour with RCCL at Santa Marta, but would have liked to hire a private tour operator to do the same thing as we are going back there again this April. It was interesting, but wanted more freedom to look at things rather than with a large group.

• 2 weeks later...

4divers,

Family and I are thinking about going on this cruise this spring, and would love to hear about your experiance while onboard. I would appreciate if you would email me rgcut@aol.com

thanks

Hey there, I am on the Enchantment on Feb 1st. Am asking the same questions you guys are. I did Google Tayrona national Park and got a lot of great info, including over 200 species of birds, reptiles and I believe monkies. Renting horses to the beaches. I won't do ship excursions so I'll let you know what I find when I get there. I'm interested to see how the ship is handled since they will not be catering to us pirmary English speaking folks.

I won't return to the U.S. until Feb. 14. Will let you know.

Post if you find something out. Reviews of this new Enchantment port should be showing up soon.....?

I've been living in Colombia for two years now. I've been to Santa Marta a few times and absolutly love it there. There are quite a few different places to go and see. I'm not so sure about tours because we always do things on our own with no problem. The port is located very centrally but not on a great beach in that area. However, there is a beach right there with a nice little walkway if you you just want to look and stay ther in town. Many locals swim there but I don't think I would.

Tayrona is very nice. Might be really expensive though for a day though. Be advised that Yellow fever shot is advised and if you go there on your own, you might be asked to prove that you have it. Entrance to the park for foriegners is about $15 USD but I think must be paid in pesos. Colombians enter for less than $5.

There are also a lot of beaches in the area. If you like the high rise hotels and city life, head to Rodadero, easy to get there by AC busses (about 75 cents each way- in pesos) or a short cab ride. If you like peaceful beaches with some snorkling or scuba, head to Tanganga. Again a quick and scenic bus ride in a van (no ac) or a taxi. Once in Rodadero you can take a launcha (small boat) to some beaches for snorkling or whatever there. There are other beaches I can recommend but are more difficult to get to if you don't know spanish and maybe easiest with a tour. Let me know if you know Spanish and I can guide you better to get there. There is Bahia Concha and Playa Blanca. I loved Bahia Concha because it had tons of Sand dollars in the water there and off to the left, you can do some snorling but we didn't see much that was too exciting when we were there. Playa Blanca gets really busy and you can only get there by boat but it is nice too. Santa Marta has so much to offer for all differnet types of people. For those going on the Enchantment to here, there will probably be many Colombians on your ship that you might be able to ask more information from. It isn't advertised in the US but hear in Colombia they sell the EOS cruise departing and returning to Cartagena.

Thank you Globalwife ... it's a hard place to get info on.

We plan for the day to see Simon Bolivar's Estate and G go to Gardens, Old Port and Town and going to Rodarero (Thanks for the bus info). Some place along the way we will have lunch.

Only have the one day we like to see things .. so will not have time to sit on a beach.

Can you add anything that we should see in town .. also for lunch which would be the best area .. it seems to me Rodarero.

We plan to just take cabs/bus/walk so we can do things in our own time .. do you see any problem with this.

Thanks again for the info .. it's hard to get on this port

Neil

Thank you Globalwife ... it's a hard place to get info on.

We plan for the day to see Simon Bolivar's Estate and G go to Gardens, Old Port and Town and going to Rodarero (Thanks for the bus info). Some place along the way we will have lunch.

Only have the one day we like to see things .. so will not have time to sit on a beach.

Can you add anything that we should see in town .. also for lunch which would be the best area .. it seems to me Rodarero.

We plan to just take cabs/bus/walk so we can do things in our own time .. do you see any problem with this.

Thanks again for the info .. it's hard to get on this port

Neil

Glad you liked the information. Sounds like you have a good plan. I don´t think you will have a problem doing it on your own but please use comon sense. Leave your jewlrey on the ship and only take out your camera when using it. I´ve been in Colombia for over two years now without incident but i don´t go around drawing attention to myself either.

The Simon Bolivar's Estate is interesting. Make sure you request an English speaking tour guide. There is no extra charge for the service. It is included with the entrance. To get there it might be easiest to grap a cab on the main avenue outside the port. Negotiate a rate before you get in. The max they should charge is 5,000 COP (2.50 USD)- don´t let yourself get taken advantage of. Oh and that is for the ride, not per person. You can get there by bus but not sure what the name of the route is and since taxis are so cheap, why not ride a taxi. Never been to the botanical garden, unless you are refering to the gardens there at the Simon Bolivar's Estate. A taxi from the ave outside the port or from the estate to Rodadero won´t run more than 10,000 COP (5.00 usd). Again, don´t let them overcharge you. Rodadero is where all the Colombian´s like to vacation on holidays so if you will be there during a holiday, the beach will be packed. There are lots of vendors trying to sell day tours to isldans and vendors walking the beach. Best to just ignore them. Many people think they are being polite by saying ¨No, gracias¨ but really it is just best to ignore them and not even look at them. Unless of corse you want their services. Never pay what they say. All Colombians know vendor prices are negotiable. Rodadero is not my favorite beach but if you are just sightseeing, it should be fine. yes, lunch will probably be best in Rodadero. There are also all kinds of restaurants along the avenue that runs by the beach by the port.

Only other thing you might want to do since you like ¨seeing things¨ is go to the Museo del Oro (gold museum). It isn´t too far from the port if you want to walk about 10 blocks to get there or just grab a cab and pay the min about 3,500 cop (1.75 USD). Might be safer since the museum isn´t in the best area but it is more of a historical area and worth seeing right there in downtown. Honestly, I have never been to this museum. I always have wanted to go but it is closed on weekends and holidays (Which is when we tend to be there) or the last time I was there it was closed for expansion. Oh and I believe the entrance is free to get in.

The sunset from the ship should be nice. We have watched it a few times from the avenue along the beach right there by the port and have enjoyed it greatly.

Let me know if you have more questions and I will try to help you out more. I hope you have a positive experience and enjoy Santa Marta as much as I do.

Hello Goldwife

That is fantastic .. everthing I needed to know.

Yes. It's the gardens at Simon Bolivar's Estate we want to see.

I agree the common sence bit ... my dress for the day is shorts, shirt and a few dollars .. plus the camera as I take heaps of pictures.

Just one question .. do we need to get the local COP (sounds like it's about COP 2000 to the $1) or can we get by with $US.

Thank you .. I now feel comfortable about the visit and our plans for th day. We have previously been to Cartagena which we loved.

Neil

Honestly, I'm not sure if you can pay with dollars in Santa Marta or not. I would think they are getting more used to cruise passengers but at the same time I would think that maybe you will get more ripped off if trying to pay with dollars. I could be wrong though. Yes, at this moment the exchange is at around 2,000 to 1 but it could change a bit by the time you get here. In the two years I have been here it has ranged from anywhere around 2,600 to 1,800 per dollar. I would think maybe you could find an ATM to get a few pesos out but not sure how far you would have to walk to do so. Have a fun trip!

Hello Goldwife

That is fantastic .. everthing I needed to know.

Yes. It's the gardens at Simon Bolivar's Estate we want to see.

I agree the common sence bit ... my dress for the day is shorts, shirt and a few dollars .. plus the camera as I take heaps of pictures.

Just one question .. do we need to get the local COP (sounds like it's about COP 2000 to the $1) or can we get by with $US.

Thank you .. I now feel comfortable about the visit and our plans for th day. We have previously been to Cartagena which we loved.

Neil

• 1 month later...

Hello Globalwife and others

Do you have any info about renting a taxi for the day to take us up to the park and maybe some other sites. Do you think it will be easy to get a taxi upon arrival. Any ideas what the costs might be for the whole day.

Many thanks Jennifer

• 3 months later...

We were in Santa Marta two weeks ago. We went to the taxi stand and hired a taxi to take us to Playa Blanca to snorkel (very crowded beach). The taxi guy sent along his daughter which made things much easier as she spoke spanish and english. She negotiated the boat taxi tickets and exchanged money to pay for this. She made sure we were back to the ship on time. She suggested Taganga a small fishing village as a better place to swim and snorkel and had other suggestions for things to do. We paid I think $20 for a 10 mile cab ride and $20 for a 15 minute boat ferry ride to the beach We tipped Mary $ 10 also. Probably worth more.

Her name is Mary Nancy Vega Yunda. vegasmejia@hotmail.com

Archived