Music Trivia problem

temanski

Let me start off by saying that I was a Radio DJ for 30 years... I'm a music freak, and I'm passionate about my specialty "MUSIC", music from the 30's through today. Just off the Gem, participated in every music trivia (Name That Tune) contest.. won them all, graciously gave my prize to the others playing the contest.. I really don't need a bottle of bubbly, I just enjoy playing. Now for my complaint: The very first contest of 20 songs contained (2) two incorrect answers.. One was "A Lovers Concerto" by the Toys, the other was "Wonderful World" by Sam Cooke. The Norwegian show host identified that last tune as "Don't Know Much About History" as the title, and the other was dubbed "Back in My Arms Again", by the Supreme's.. both totally incorrect. When I brought this to thier attention (and the audience agreed with me) they said "Well that's not what's on the paper they gave me"... I said IF YOU'RE NOT A MUSIC EXPERT, THEN YOU DON'T KNOW IF THAT'S INCORRECT AND IT IS... They stuck to their guns, I still won, but I offered to prove and correct the fact that the contest they're doing has 10% wrong answers. Look at it this way, If the Captain of the Gem was playing a game where they asked what the GEM's sister ship was and they said it was the EPIC, he's stand right up and say: "I can tell you that it's the Jewel, and I should know"... I sent two sheets to the Manager of the GEM, without response, both times offering my assistance to get it right and a full-proof way to insure that the answers are correct. There is a program called SHAZAM that on the iPhone will listen to a few seconds of any song and identify ARTIST, TITLE, ALBUM... still my offer to "get it right" was ignored. This is 100% nit-picking, but I'm so passionate about my profession. I love to help people identify songs they're searching for by just a line or two, or a movie it was in or locate the song for them in my library if I'm performing and make their occasion special. I just wish an offer to help did not fall on deaf ears. Fire away and tell me to "get a life".

Edited by temanski

Yes, it is nit-picking, but I totally understand where you're coming from. It would drive me crazy too - and I think it was nice of you to offer your time to help them get it right. :)

I would imagine there are several good reasons why they ignored your offer -- it could be something in their corporate policy........ or it could be that they just really don't care. I'm hoping it's policy, not "we don't care". Still, they should have gotten back to you with "thanks, but no thanks". :rolleyes:

I can appreciate your feelings.....I am an avid general trivia player on board, and the same thing happens. While I realize, the cruise staff is told to conduct the games with the rule that their supplied answer sheet is always correct, otherwise the answers may be debated forever, and the game will take too long, interfering with the schedule of the staff member to get to their next event....

I have been on some cruises, where the staff indicates that we may show proof of their error later, and in such a case will receive a consolation prize (I know, big deal--a keychain or some other 'fabulous ship's prize'), but the satisfaction is worth it.:)

In your example above of the Captain saying that the Gem's sister ship is the Jewel, and not the Epic.....I would have to disagree and say that the Pearl is closer to being the Gem's sister (even though they and the Jade are of the Jewel Class).....:)

Edited by bob brown

Agreed... And I do need to "let go" or get a life... But to everyone... Whatever you're passionate about, if you know they're giving wrong answers and you know the correct one, I think you would at least speak up! If you're an avid Yankee fan and they said Mickey Mantle wore #3, you would speak up... If you're a historian and they said Alaska was our 50th state, you would speak up.. Hey,I won anyway, it's ot sour grapes.. Its getting it right. And I offered after the contest.

In your example above of the Captain saying that the Gem's sister ship is the Jewel, and not the Epic.....I would have to disagree and say that the Pearl is closer to being the Gem's sister (even though they and the Jade are of the Jewel Class).....:)

The Jade, The Jewel, The Gem and The Pearl are all "Jewel Class" ships. The Epic is a class all by Herself.

Agreed... And I do need to "let go" or get a life... But to everyone... Whatever you're passionate about, if you know they're giving wrong answers and you know the correct one, I think you would at least speak up! If you're an avid Yankee fan and they said Mickey Mantle wore #3, you would speak up... If you're a historian and they said Alaska was our 50th state, you would speak up.. Hey,I won anyway, it's ot sour grapes.. Its getting it right. And I offered after the contest.

You were absolutely right to speak up. As you said, you are passionate about the subject and just wanted them to "get it right".

However...While it is OK to "speak up", I believe it is not OK to continue to "speak up". If they get something wrong, let them know...nothing wrong with that. What you shouldn't do is to then send missives to the Hotel Director on the subject and then run home to announce how right you were to everyone on a message board.

When you feel the need, "speak up"...and then move on. Even if you are 100% correct, they are under no obligation to change anything based on the facts you offer. All you can do is to inform....its up to them whether or not to change.

Great, thanks Jerry. I looked up 9077 and it is mid-stern. You picked a good one! We were able to chat with folks on that balcony on our last cruise on the Sun. Have you ever had a stern balcony before? It's so peaceful, almost hypnotic. I love sitting out there on a warm night, in the dark. Incredible!

No cosmos tonight. Chai tea. Watching Olympics and Texas Rangers. Gotta keep my wits about me.

Will update Roll Call next week at work. Will replace ? with Jerry. :)

Great, thanks Jerry. I looked up 9077 and it is mid-stern. You picked a good one! We were able to chat with folks on that balcony on our last cruise on the Sun. Have you ever had a stern balcony before? It's so peaceful, almost hypnotic. I love sitting out there on a warm night, in the dark. Incredible!

No cosmos tonight. Chai tea. Watching Olympics and Texas Rangers. Gotta keep my wits about me.

I think you posted in wrong location, did you mean to post on your roll call?:)

The Jade, The Jewel, The Gem and The Pearl are all "Jewel Class" ships. The Epic is a class all by Herself.

Agreed. But the Gem and Pearl are more like each other in interior layout, account the Bliss Ultra Lounge, than the other two in the 'Jewel' class.....

Am I lost or are you....seems like you may have wandered off from the roll call?:confused:

Edit to add: I took so long to type my response two other posted in the meantime!

Edited by peg013

Trying to change the subject, maybe......before the discussion gets heated? Just my thoughts! :)

Temanski, I like to do the trivia as well, and I have seen wrong answers on almost every line I have sailed with. They all seem to handle it the same way, well this is the answer that is written down so it has to be right. Not!! I agree with the other poster that they probably don't want an arguement on questions that may have multiple answers so what they have written down is it. I just enjoy the trivia, so it is kind of funny when they have the wrong answer, and still keep using it over and over. Even after people tell them their answer is wrong.

As a fellow DJ, I feel your pain and passion.

Look at it from NCL's perspective, though. They need to get in and out in 30 minutes and if they listened to every challenge to an answer, they'd be there all day.

In a related story, we played classic rock name that tune on a ship once and answered 19 of 20 song and artist correctly. Turns out, we finished 4th! There were 3 others who went 20 for 20 (both song and artist). Fair enough...so they went to sudden death to decide the winner. It took 6 more songs to decide the winner because they couldn't identify some pretty easy classic rock songs. If you are following me, that means 3 groups who went 20 for 20 (with some pretty tough songs mixed in) went 0 for 5 in the "bonus" round befire answering correctly.

Things that make you go "hmmmm"...

Love all these little games on the ship. Good opportunity to see a diffeent part of the ship and try a new drink!

Temanski, I too have seen wrong answers and/or multiple answers be possible on lots of cruises. In some cases, a simple google search could bear out the correct answer. Especially with names of songs.

I think that they don't care. They get half their general trivia it seems from Trivial Pursuit and they don't change their questions often. They should put in some real effort into coming up with some new trivia challenges. We had lots of repeat questions at different trivias during the same cruise a week ago!

I understand where you're coming from. It's okay to be a stickler about your passions!

I played trivia on Gem in Jan. and the Asst. CD "Fish" ran the progressive sessions every evening. We had a question on Canadian provinces and the answer was challenged. Not sure but I believe one of our players even looked it up in the ship library.

Anyway, Fish followed up, verified the answer and then went back through the previous answer sheets to correct scores. He announced this to the whole group and everyone seemed pleased.

Good you brought it up since they can change it.

I really don't think there is anything wrong with pointing out where you think they have made a mistake.

But seriously you are on vacation, everyone should be doing it "just for fun", it's not like the prize is a new sports car.

And to bring it to these boards because it is still eating at you, sorry but I think you are stressing over something very trivial. I'd say let it go and if you don't think they are doing it right, don't go again on your next cruise.

I really don't think there is anything wrong with pointing out where you think they have made a mistake.

But seriously you are on vacation, everyone should be doing it "just for fun", it's not like the prize is a new sports car.

And to bring it to these boards because it is still eating at you, sorry but I think you are stressing over something very trivial. I'd say let it go and if you don't think they are doing it right, don't go again on your next cruise.

He was only pointing out something that bothers tons of cruisers on most sailings. Type A people aren't going to change on vacation. Doesn't matter what the prize was. It's the principle of the issie. To say don't go on a cruise is ridiculous.

He was only pointing out something that bothers tons of cruisers on most sailings. Type A people aren't going to change on vacation. Doesn't matter what the prize was. It's the principle of the issie. To say don't go on a cruise is ridiculous.

Excuse me? Please re-read my post. I DID NOT say don't go on a cruise. "I'd say let it go and if you don't think they are doing it right, don't go again (to the trivia games) on your next cruise." In other words if you think, what you think as incorrect answers or not played to your liking. Don't go to the trivia games. Simple why stress yourself out on vacation, when you know you are going to have issues.

The Trivia game leaders aboard have to go by the answers on their sheets.

So I think you're beating a dead horse and making much ado about nothing.

It's not the first time a Trivia game answer has been wrong, and probably won't be the last time either.

I don't mean to be harsh but get over it.

Speaking Up is what you did at the game. But then what you did after that is more than speaking up, it's being a bit obsessive imo.

We really know our automobile trivia! Many times at NCL trivia games, we have disputed the announced answer unsuccessfully. We always have fun regardless. We've met the nicest people at trivia. We also have learned some facts along the way.