How do you book private tours when

Sccrkeepr

Thanks to all your responses, since the most people I've ever had on a roll call (in 20 or so cruises) has been like 100, and generally, all those people on the roll call are looking for travel excursion partners, I am truly interested in what the other 3000 or so people who are on the ship do for excursions.

The last time i went to the Med we did only ship tours, but mostly spent time waiting for people who were late back to the bus. With such a port intensive cruise, such little time and places i have already seen major sites in, I really have specific sites and needs in mind. I have decided to try Viatour as it seems you can tweak some tours they have listed, they can't really cancel them and they mostly guarantee that you get back to your ship on time.

I'm puzzled why you think Viator can tweak some tours

they are a third party operator who book local tour operators you could go with directly

therefore they have no control over the tour itself

if you really have specific sites and needs in mind you need to reach out to local operators yourself and if you want to attract tour mates ask for them on your roll call-

as to what the other 3000 people on board do I can only speculate that most do ships tours or DIY if they don't go private tours with others on roll call

I'm puzzled why you think Viator can tweak some tours

they are a third party operator who book local tour operators you could go with directly

therefore they have no control over the tour itself

if you really have specific sites and needs in mind you need to reach out to local operators yourself and if you want to attract tour mates ask for them on your roll call-

as to what the other 3000 people on board do I can only speculate that most do ships tours or DIY if they don't go private tours with others on roll call

because i wrote emails to viator re: some tours I found online, they responded with the tour operator info and then i emailed them directly. Some Viator reviews even note that people were able to ask their driver to make stops not on the list or remove things. I'm not saying that happens on a regular basis or it doesn't happen at all, but the tour operators were able to confirm this for me.

because i wrote emails to viator re: some tours I found online, they responded with the tour operator info and then i emailed them directly. Some Viator reviews even note that people were able to ask their driver to make stops not on the list or remove things. I'm not saying that happens on a regular basis or it doesn't happen at all, but the tour operators were able to confirm this for me.

will be very interested n your feedback on tour

very sceptical

will be very interested n your feedback on tour

very sceptical

ahhh me too me too, but it's a bit cheaper than private tours, a lot cheaper than ship tours and to be honest i dont have to deal with the stress of trying to find people to fill the tour with us. So even if we can't customize, the lack of stress involved is worth the booking.

Contact different tour companies and see what their standard tours are.

Our next cruise will actually be our first where we booked through something set up by our roll call. Everything else has always been set up by me directly with the different companies.

We have never had this problem. We have always either had plenty or been able to book tours that will fill in spots if necessary. OP, I would simply email the tour company and see how they suggest doing it. We have often had the best luck simply getting off the ship and finding a vendor that will take us where we want to go. Usually they are less expensive as well.

as for booking via the M&G we have done this many times, but I think the M&G idea is not nearly as successful as in years past. Ours in May isn't too exciting either. Many people seem to be using Facebook etc to plan activities and meet others on cruises.

I too have used rome in limo and they were great. also post your question on the Europe board. RIL will tailor your trip to anyway you want they will also stop at atm or bathroom breaks for you.

Rome In Limo for one; like I mentioned above have used them twice. They will do any excursion in Italy

You're NOT paying attention --- I have contacted them, they want 6 - 8 people for the trip, no one on my roll is wanting to do that or they already have other plans and I can't personally put out 400 - 600 bucks for a private or semi private tour. I wanted them to advertise the tour I wanted to do, but they are unwilling to add other people and that's certainly their prerogative, and I dont blame them for not wanting to do it. But, like i have said before, i have done this particular itinerary before so I've seen Florence and Pisa and Pompeii and the vatican. Im looking for something different that won't cost a small fortune. Unfortunately because I want wine tasting or amalfi with Herculaneum included, instead of Pompeii, i am SOL and either pay big bucks or not do it and join the rest of the herd doing things i have already done.

I was simply trying to figure out what people do for small group or tours just for 2 - do they use a consortium or suck it up and pay big bucks.

Thanks for your suggestion!

You're NOT paying attention --- I have contacted them, they want 6 - 8 people for the trip, no one on my roll is wanting to do that or they already have other plans and I can't personally put out 400 - 600 bucks for a private or semi private tour. I wanted them to advertise the tour I wanted to do, but they are unwilling to add other people and that's certainly their prerogative, and I dont blame them for not wanting to do it. But, like i have said before, i have done this particular itinerary before so I've seen Florence and Pisa and Pompeii and the vatican. Im looking for something different that won't cost a small fortune. Unfortunately because I want wine tasting or amalfi with Herculaneum included, instead of Pompeii, i am SOL and either pay big bucks or not do it and join the rest of the herd doing things i have already done.

I was simply trying to figure out what people do for small group or tours just for 2 - do they use a consortium or suck it up and pay big bucks.

Thanks for your suggestion!

I get it. Sorry I misread your post. It is not cheap for just two people. One last glimmer of hope. look on this website shoretrips; my travel agent booked some tours for me when I was in the med in 2015, you just plug in your cruiseline, ship, name, and date of cruise and the have all the excursions. Good luck

Edited by AF-1

with which companies and where?

alaska, greece, italy, germany, estonia, russia, caribbean

used TJ Travel in Europe (baltics ports), oceanwave tours, rhodes private tours, PK Travel, delos guide (all in greece), guided tours malta, and rome in limo (italy).

caribbean ive used Viator.

I get it. Sorry I misread your post. It is not cheap for just two people. One last glimmer of hope. look on this website shoretrips; my travel agent booked some tours for me when I was in the med in 2015, you just plug in your cruiseline, ship, name, and date of cruise and the have all the excursions. Good luck

I wasn't trying to be overly-agro - sorry if i came off that way. People keep suggesting Italy tours and tour italy, but I really have tried them. To give you an idea - a whole day Amalfi and Herculaneum with just two of us, I was quoted by 3 different companies from 500 - 700 euros. That's like my whole budget for all the ports. I think i found a tour in Rome by City Wonders, now I just have to work with some others for the Naples and Livorno ports. (i dont know if I'm allowed to say this, but I'm a TA, so i have resources, but i have only worked with those resources with bigger client groups. Those resources were of course willing to help, waiving fees and such, but they still were pretty expensive)

I'll try shoretrips and one other one that some one recommended. I'm running out of time....30 or so days and counting.:p

• 2 weeks later...
I wasn't trying to be overly-agro - sorry if i came off that way. People keep suggesting Italy tours and tour italy, but I really have tried them. To give you an idea - a whole day Amalfi and Herculaneum with just two of us, I was quoted by 3 different companies from 500 - 700 euros. That's like my whole budget for all the ports. I think i found a tour in Rome by City Wonders, now I just have to work with some others for the Naples and Livorno ports. (i dont know if I'm allowed to say this, but I'm a TA, so i have resources, but i have only worked with those resources with bigger client groups. Those resources were of course willing to help, waiving fees and such, but they still were pretty expensive)

I'll try shoretrips and one other one that some one recommended. I'm running out of time....30 or so days and counting.:p

Good Luck I hope you find a reasonably prices tour

I am VERY picky about my tours, it's clear, many of the posters are not. I never would consider any of the "booking agents" that are "recommended" above. These simply are commissioned based listing with no regard to quality.

For me, information is readily available on Trip Adviser and Cruise Critic Ports of call.

In Europe, I rarely want "tours". It's pretty darn easy to use public transportation on your own time, and I especially like picking up "free" (tip bases) walking tours that are available world wide. Excellent "real" experiences that I greatly enjoy.

Thanks, Im cruising Mediterranean, - barcelona, rome, naples, livorno, cannes and palma. I have been looking at a lot of companies, most want you to have 6, i contacted italytours and some others i;ve seen on here, but I've struck out with timing so far.

Anyone have experience with using Viator? Ill do a search on the CC board too.

I used Viator last year for 1 tour the Almafi Coast tour. It ended up being my favorite tour. I was extra worried that I booked the tour online and met at the location I was told to and I was the only one from a cruise on the tour. It was a great tour. I would use them again.