Norwegian Gem

cruisebunnies

I was on Feb 24th - March 6th so just outside your date range but I'll chip in and give it a solid 8 for the cruise

-2 only for the weather on the way back and that wasn't in anyone's control - the actual ship/staff etc I would give a 10

We were on the March 6-17 sailing, I’d rate it 9/10. Weather going up and down the US coast was awful but not under anyone’s control and the staff did their best to keep everyone happy. Crew were friendly and helpful, food was better than our past NCL cruises. Some of the shows were great (the acrobats were amazing, don’t miss that show!), but many crossed the boundary of what I would deem appropriate for a 7pm show and some were outright boring.

The ship itself is showing some wear and tear, especially on the exterior hull. They were repainting the gems on the bow while we were in port one day, but they need many more days of painting. There was also significant rust visible on the bridge and from our balcony on deck 1, especially around the bathroom windows of our two bedroom suite.

Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on the Feb 24th sailing. I would give the ship a 9. The only bad part was the rough sea. The cruise line can not control the weather, but it can control how it handles communicating with the passengers . I don't think the Captain kept us up to date on the storms. We had a letter that said tune into channel 22 for update, Nothing was ever put on the channel.

We were on the Feb 24th sailing. I would give the ship a 9. The only bad part was the rough sea. The cruise line can not control the weather, but it can control how it handles communicating with the passengers . I don't think the Captain kept us up to date on the storms. We had a letter that said tune into channel 22 for update, Nothing was ever put on the channel.

What’s there to be kept up to date on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from the March 17th sailing. We enjoyed the Gem very much. Nothing was bad, but here are a few pros/cons from us:

Pros:

1) Food was very good in both specialty and MDR (buffets weren't bad either - especially the seafood medley on the huge grills poolside for lunch - be sure to stop by about 11:00 to watch them prepare this feast if you are a seafood lover.)

2) Singers in evening shows. Variety of shows was also very good.

Cons:

1) Lounge singers and games

2) General "bubbliness/enthusiasm" of the staff. They just didn't seem to have that "over the top" desire to serve and entertain like we have experienced on other sailings

Other than that, things seemed similar to other recent NCL sailings. As others have said - cruising is what you make of it. Go with the flow when things aren't quite up to expectations and don't let the little things bother you.

I'll also note that we had to tender in two ports (which I hate since I rarely book ship excursions). I thought they did a good job of getting people ashore quickly.

Enjoy your cruise!

Funny how everyone’s experience is different . We were in the same March 17 sailing and found the staff to be exceptional particularly in Carney’s and Bistro, we enjoyed Tropical Four (band) and liked the shows . My buffet experience was Meh , I found it so crowded and difficult to find a seat. But loved the Great Outdoors for breakfast. Staff in Grand Pacific was very good, food was good in there for the most part. We did not love O’Sheehans on Gem in comparison to Breakaway. Our room steward was new (This was his first sailing) so overall he was ok but just ok but he tried. We loved our 10 day trip and would do it again in a heartbeat!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on Feb 24th - March 6th so just outside your date range but I'll chip in and give it a solid 8 for the cruise

-2 only for the weather on the way back and that wasn't in anyone's control - the actual ship/staff etc I would give a 10

So a solid 10 based on your own admission that the weather is not a factor because it's not ship related.... the - 2 is irrelevant to the score the Gem received