Great Stirrup Cay - Clams shells

mandine

I think the cost for the clams shells is 29.99$. Is it for rent or to buy ?

Anyone have a picture of one ?

In two weeks we will be at Great Stirrup Cay and maybe we will take one.

Thanks.

Similar to this pic and you can reverse the hood to avoid the sun/shade

PE_rattan_outdoor_round_bed.jpg.0b2f1261b946f47fef599a4197b5528f.jpg

We had rented one and they were situated so far back from the water, we found them useless (unless you're lucky enough to grab one up-front). There's two set-up areas. One is when you first get off the tender and the other set-up is past the concession stands on the far side of GSC. Weigh these options: Your really not there long enough to justify the cost to obtain one. There's numerous shaded trees there anyway, with beach chairs. Our advice is to save the $60 for other things such as drinks or some souvenirs at the local market set-up.

We had rented one and they were situated so far back from the water, we found them useless (unless you're lucky enough to grab one up-front). There's two set-up areas. One is when you first get off the tender and the other set-up is past the concession stands on the far side of GSC. Weigh these options: Your really not there long enough to justify the cost to obtain one. There's numerous shaded trees there anyway, with beach chairs. Our advice is to save the $60 for other things such as drinks or some souvenirs at the local market set-up.

This is good advice but my DH has to have shade while we are there, he just can't sit out in the sun, so when you say there are numerous shaded trees w/ beach chairs where are they located and how quickly do people make a running dash for them? I would love to be able to save the $60 but if he doesn't get shade we won't be on the island very long at all. :(

Thanks.

It is $29.99 and the clam shell covers two beach lounge chairs so you won't be paying $60, only $29.99 for two people. I was there two weeks ago and I really did not see areas with shaded trees, etc. Where we had our clam shell, there was no view of the ocean because it is rows and rows of clam shells, but as someone else said, if you take a little walk away from the main clam shell area, there is a smaller beach where the clam shells were in a single row with a nice view and fewer people.

I must agree with rzdj96. The shells for the most part are too far from the water and in most cases useless. If you don't get one in the first row, you stand the chance of not seeing the water and if you have children, you won't want to be in them unless you absolutely need shade or a place for yourself away from the water. We got one last time at the Cay and abandoned it, for a lounge chair where we could monitor our children and enjoy the view of the ocean and activities. They are very nice, but you should be aware of their limitations, you cannot just pick one up and move it to wherever you want.

I must agree with rzdj96. The shells for the most part are too far from the water and in most cases useless. If you don't get one in the first row, you stand the chance of not seeing the water and if you have children, you won't want to be in them unless you absolutely need shade or a place for yourself away from the water. We got one last time at the Cay and abandoned it, for a lounge chair where we could monitor our children and enjoy the view of the ocean and activities. They are very nice, but you should be aware of their limitations, you cannot just pick one up and move it to wherever you want.

It is $29.99 and the clam shell covers two beach lounge chairs so you won't be paying $60, only $29.99 for two people. I was there two weeks ago and I really did not see areas with shaded trees, etc. Where we had our clam shell, there was no view of the ocean because it is rows and rows of clam shells, but as someone else said, if you take a little walk away from the main clam shell area, there is a smaller beach where the clam shells were in a single row with a nice view and fewer people.

Thanks for this info. $29.99 is much more reasonable, especially the little hidden area of clam shells. ;)

Your quite correct. I was thinking of something else. If you walk off the tender towards the beach, take a left at the beach and walk past the building there. As you pass the building, up to the left is a large tree grove with a bunch of lounges set out. The smaller beach is on the far side. Still, paying $30 is not required unless your extremely sun sensitive. Also trying to keep up with any children, should you have them with you, would be challenging to keep track of them, with the way the clam shells are bunched together.

Your quite correct. I was thinking of something else. If you walk off the tender towards the beach, take a left at the beach and walk past the building there. As you pass the building, up to the left is a large tree grove with a bunch of lounges set out. The smaller beach is on the far side. Still, paying $30 is not required unless your extremely sun sensitive. Also trying to keep up with any children, should you have them with you, would be challenging to keep track of them, with the way the clam shells are bunched together.

I agree!

We were a party of 9 (grandparents, plus 5 kids), and found it very worth the money. We grabbed a few chairs on the beach, plus we had the clamshell, so if someone wanted out of the sun/heat, it was there. Plus, we got a priority tender ticket, so that was nice - no need to stand on a long line first thing in the morning!

Hi. Can I pay for the clamshell prior to getting on the ship?

I will be sailing Sky on May 25 for a girls only weekend with my mother and dd-18.

Where exactly do I want to go for the smaller less crowded beach with the one row of clam shells...get off tender and walk left past a building?

Forgive me please, I sail often but not with NCL. I look forward to researching about Great Stirrup Cay. What else do I need to know.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Only been to GSC once, and have no idea what that is. Do tell

Just want to jump in and listen. We are on dec sailing to gsc. Also in a suite, so can get off ship on priority pass to get a clam shell up front. Antone have a map of the island?

Found this, can someone point out small beach?

http://www2.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/great-stirrup-cay

We reserved a clam shell on our last cruise. We were also in a suite and on the first tender but when we got there we weren't sure which way to go to get to the clam shells. We ended up in the second row, which was OK but would have preferred being in the first row. Just so you know, the clam shells were next to the hippo slide. Get there quickly so you get your pick of location.

Clam shells are well worth the money if you are getting off early and it is a sunny day. We picked one near the Hippo Slide so we could be near as our 8 yr old used his unlimited slide pass.

At the end of the day it was nice to eat out of the sun and give our son a place to cool down.

Well worth it in my oinion.

Has anyone ever taken your own Beach Umbrella to use at the beaches you visit on a cruise?

We take our own beach chairs with canopies. They fold up into backpacks. We have used them in Bermuda and GSC. You can put them anywhere you want! :D

As far as Clam Shell's go...............Are they pre set up in a specified area, rather than you picking up a clam shell and putting it where ever you want? Thanks All

They're in a specified area - they're pretty big, and I can't imagine trying to move it.

Archived