Unlimited open bar package

Hello ~ new to NCL and looking at a Panama Canal Cruise in 2019. Would someone kindly explain the Unlimited Open Bar package ~ does each person in a cabin have to purchase the package? Also, is there a limit of time between ordering drinks? Some cruise lines only allow you to get one drink at a time; some make you wait 5 minutes between purchases.

Thanks in advance.:) :):wine-glass::D:wine-glass:

Hello ~ new to NCL and looking at a Panama Canal Cruise in 2019. Would someone kindly explain the Unlimited Open Bar package ~ does each person in a cabin have to purchase the package? Also, is there a limit of time between ordering drinks? Some cruise lines only allow you to get one drink at a time; some make you wait 5 minutes between purchases.

Thanks in advance.:) :):wine-glass::D:wine-glass:

The first two people in the cabin get the promotion. You can order two drinks at a time. There is no real time limit, but the bar tender isn’t going to let you fill a tray full of drinks, one order at a time.

I only used UBP once, but from my own experience and from what others have posted:

If you get the UBP for yourself as part of an online promotion, then the next adult in your room ALSO has to get one. If underage, it will be switched to a non-alcohol package, saving you money on the gratuity for that package. If you have more than 2 folks in the cabin...sorry, not sure how that works. If you're buying the package outright (not as part of promo), someone else will have to pitch in.

I've never seen a time limit between orders. Now, I grant you, I've never gotten a drink, slammed it down and said "pour me another, barkeep." But I'd suppose it wouldn't be a problem. NCL let's you get two drinks at once, which is really nice. I also often take my card up AND my wife's...but I've never tried getting 4 drinks with two cards (I still only have 2 hands), but I'd guess you could.

Sorry my responses aren't more definite. I hate to be categorical about something if I'm not sure. Others will soon respond with more certain answers, though.

If you choose this as a perk... it will be for the 1st 2 people in room. If you have a third adult guest or even 4th... you'll have to have them buy the package separetly if they would like it. If it's 1 adult and 1 child in the room the child will get the soda package.

It's super easy to use the UBP. Simply hand the bartender or server your key card. And there is no wait til you can get your next drink.

I've experienced a few servers/bartenders wanting both my husbands card and mine when ordering drinks. Or I'd have to have it in my hand and they only took one when they saw I had 2 cards with me. Ive been asked for both cards when ordering drinks on both the Escape and the Getaway. Most servers didn't do this though and let me just give 1 card.

Couple additional tips about NCL's UDP:

1) My wife and I used it A LOT on our cruise in February and never ran in to a problem with time limits or maximum number of drinks, etc...

2) If you order a glass of wine or premium liquor (e.g. woodford reserve, Jameson's caskmates, etc.) you only have to pay the additional amount beyond the $15. It's very easy and flexible.

3) Keep in mind if you select the UDP as one of your "free at sea" promotion picks, you still have to pay the drink package taxes which can be fairly significant.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Couple additional tips about NCL's UDP:

1) My wife and I used it A LOT on our cruise in February and never ran in to a problem with time limits or maximum number of drinks, etc...

2) If you order a glass of wine or premium liquor (e.g. woodford reserve, Jameson's caskmates, etc.) you only have to pay the additional amount beyond the $15. It's very easy and flexible.

3) Keep in mind if you select the UDP as one of your "free at sea" promotion picks, you still have to pay the drink package taxes which can be fairly significant.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

IF by significant, you mean about 18 bucks a day each, I call that an absolute steal.

And I agree, it works great.

I'll be using this same package 4/7 on The Escape...

I should have said, drink package TIPS (not taxes).

If you do a seven day cruise or longer, that can add an additional $250 to the cruise cost which is significant to many people--especially those that aren't heavy drinkers. If you enjoy 2-3 drinks a day, you often come out much better off just paying the ala carte price for drinks.

I should have said, drink package TIPS (not taxes).

If you do a seven day cruise or longer, that can add an additional $250 to the cruise cost which is significant to many people--especially those that aren't heavy drinkers. If you enjoy 2-3 drinks a day, you often come out much better off just paying the ala carte price for drinks.

Unless it's beer, you're wrong. With the UBP the daily gratuities/service charge is $17.80 per person. Since there's the automatic 20% gratuity on any drink purchased that gives you $14.83/day for drinks. If you drink two drinks that's $7.14 each. Wine is more than that and I believe even call spirits are more than that. I think there are a few beers under $7.14 (I can't drink beer so I don't know for sure), but there's not any under 5 which you would need them to be to come out ahead at the 3 drinks per day level.

If you are going to drink 14 or more drinks in a week the only way the drink package is more expensive is if you only drink beer and it's cheaper than $7/beer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk