Hop On Hop Off Shuttles in Hilo and Honolulu

MKMC

Yep. We snagged the Hoppa On Hoppa Off right at the pier when we disembarked in Hilo. Easy and cheap. We visited the falls, etc. and then got off and wandered in the gardens for a while and caught the second or third bus that came later. We were excited about the mongoose sightings in the gardens but were later told that they are considered vermin and the locals wish they were all wiped out.

They introduced them to kill the rats.:eek:

Rats are nocturnal, mongoose are diurnal.

Didn't work out.:rolleyes:

Yep, and now they are killing the birds on an island that is a bird sanctuary. Not good planning.

They introduced them to kill the rats.:eek:

Rats are nocturnal, mongoose are diurnal.

Didn't work out.:rolleyes:

AND then the next wise suggestion was to bring in snakes to rid the mongoose. HAHA...Glad someone nixed that idea. There are no snakes on the island. No rabies either.

If what you want is transportation, on Oahu TheBus provides reliable transit. A one-day pass costs $5.50 as opposed to 25 bucks for the Red Line. Travel times may be longer, but buses come along much more frequently than HOHO's once-every-fifty-minute schedule. (TheBus to Hanauma Bay can be an overcrowded mess, though.)

I agree with Shepp, if you are going to use The Bus, as it's called in Honolulu, check our their website. It has a lot of information including maps and which bus to use for different attractions. Also, if you are 65 or older, the daily pass is only $2; just tell the driver when you get on. We were there on a cruise a few months ago, there was a bus stop not far from the ship, one of the port workers can point the way.

Has anyone taken the red line hop on hop off in Honolulu or the Hop On Hop Off in Hilo?

Is there anywhere specific you want to go in Honolulu? We used the Bus and asked for a transfer when we got on. We were able to use it on our return trip so had to pay fare only one way. Show your social security card if over 65 and price is drastically reduced. We took the bus out to Pearl Harbor and then back to the Hale Koa Hotel and back to the ship.

MKMC... There are no transfers any more on thebus. All day pass is only $5.50 and if you have a Medicare card it is only $2.00. Lots of buses to lots of places via thebus. Would not mess with a car, parking in many places is a "pain". Don't have to park the bus.

I am hoping OP read the posts on his/her January 18 thread of the same subject re the Hilo Hop On Hop Off Shuttle. :confused: Hope MKMC is able to get info re Honolulu that is helpful to him/her. As usual, CC members have provided some very helpful info on both threads. Cherie

• 2 weeks later...
MKMC... There are no transfers any more on thebus. All day pass is only $5.50 and if you have a Medicare card it is only $2.00. Lots of buses to lots of places via thebus. Would not mess with a car, parking in many places is a "pain". Don't have to park the bus.

Is the Medicare card used to prove your age or do they have an agreement with that company? I am 65+ From the UK and wondering if I would qualify for reduced rates. Thank you.

Is the Medicare card used to prove your age or do they have an agreement with that company? I am 65+ From the UK and wondering if I would qualify for reduced rates. Thank you.

As long as you’re 65 or older the $2 fare for the day pass is valid for you. Make sure to let the driver know you want the day pass before putting money in the fare box. Just use your passport for proof of your age if the driver asks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...

The last time we were in Oahu, three years back, my son and I grabbed THE BUS right outside the pier and it took us to Diamond Head. We actually beat all the cruise ship tours. We were maybe fifth and sixth off the ship in the morning (early as soon as we could get off) and it was glorious walking up at that time of the morning. Then, we grabbed THE BUS again for our return and it dropped us off in downtown Waikiki. Did our walking on the main drag, as we are not thrilled with the sand on Waikiki, stayed away from it and proceeded to walk to the Ala Moana Mall. Did some shopping and took THEBUS back to the ship. All for a day pass of something like $5.00 each or maybe $5.50. A perfectly good one day visit to Oahu having in the year prior already spent a week and a half split between time at Hilton Hawaiian and the Turtle Bay Hotel in the north east shore.