Cozumel Catamaran Suggestions PLEASE!

KitzaPitza

Hello everyone!

I’m sailing 2/25/18 on the Dream to Cozumel, Belize, and Mahogany Bay. I’m interested in getting on a catamaran to SAIL and snorkel. I’m looking to book outside of the cruise line as I’m not wanting to be with a crowd of people. Now here’s where I get picky. I would like the catamaran to be where I can sit out from under the top. Like in front on some netting or something like that. Also I want to actual sail a while. Not just a few feet from the cruise ship. I also want to do some snorkeling. A long tour if possible. 4.5-6 hours. I found a perfect one that sails, takes you to an island, anchors the catamaran, takes you by a little boat (don’t know what they’re called) to get to the island. Lunch is cooked onboard. Eat and then more sailing and perhaps more snorkeling. This tour however leaves at 9 and we don’t get there until 9 so we won’t make that one. I also found some others on Playa de Carmen or somewhere like that but you have to use the ferry to get to the tour and I fear making it back to the ship on time. There’s several tours that are perfect that I want to sign up for but there’s not enough people. Sooo do any of you know of any company that’s has/does this? Also, is it better to sign up and HOPE others do and risk getting your tour cancelled? Thank you!!

We did one in Cozumel through shore excursioneer ("Best Cozumel Catamaran Sail and Snorkel). It made two snorkel stops that were ok, but not out on any of the reefs. The actual sailing part was wonderful and we sat out on the netting. I think it was around only 3+ hours total.

Just to let you know.... all the shallow reefs in Cozumel are actually near the cruise piers. It seems like they are ripping you off, by stopping so close to the ships, but that is only because there are not many reefs suitable for snorkeling in Cozumel. The "reefs" that are considered some of the best in the world are all deeper than you can snorkel (50-100' deep). The snorkel boats are limited to where they can go. If you find one that goes all the way down to Columbia Shallows reef, on the south end of island, then that one is great, but a catamaran doesn't go fast enough to go there and get back in a timely manner. It is over an hour each way so the snorkel boats don't usually go there, gas is expensive.

I would look at maybe shoreexcursioneer dot com. I think they book with a few different companies. Don't think any of them have food provided onboard. I've never seen that on any of the boats in Cozumel. I think some stop at a beach club for food.

robin

We did one in Cozumel through shore excursioneer ("Best Cozumel Catamaran Sail and Snorkel). It made two snorkel stops that were ok, but not out on any of the reefs. The actual sailing part was wonderful and we sat out on the netting. I think it was around only 3+ hours total.

Thank you!! I’ll check them out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you!! I’ll look them up!

Just to let you know.... all the shallow reefs in Cozumel are actually near the cruise piers. It seems like they are ripping you off, by stopping so close to the ships, but that is only because there are not many reefs suitable for snorkeling in Cozumel. The "reefs" that are considered some of the best in the world are all deeper than you can snorkel (50-100' deep). The snorkel boats are limited to where they can go. If you find one that goes all the way down to Columbia Shallows reef, on the south end of island, then that one is great, but a catamaran doesn't go fast enough to go there and get back in a timely manner. It is over an hour each way so the snorkel boats don't usually go there, gas is expensive.

I would look at maybe shoreexcursioneer dot com. I think they book with a few different companies. Don't think any of them have food provided onboard. I've never seen that on any of the boats in Cozumel. I think some stop at a beach club for food.

robin

Robin - Are Belize or Mahogany Bay better for snorkeling?

I was under the impression that Roatan is the best snorkeling on that itinerary. Cozumel is a great place to sit on a beach and go shopping. The best thing we did there was rent a Jeep at the port for $40. Then we drove to the other side of island away from the crowds. The beaches there are breathtaking and there is even a Mayan ruins site. Best day in Cozumel ever. However you can take a five minute cab from port to Paradise Beach. $ 5 cover and Beach is gorgeous. They have wonderful facilities and a beautiful pool. The port shopping is one of my favorite of all cruise ports.Good luck in your planning.

Belize is arguably one of the best Dive stops in the world but the mass market snorkel trips are designed for optimum timing NOT best snorkeling --I agree with what was said before about Cozumel--not at all good for snorkel--great if you dive the wall but otherwise any of the other ports would be better

Does it leave at 9 am ships time or Island time? This may make a difference. They will usually accommodate ship arrival times and change their schedule if so.

It leaves at 8 am ship time. We get there at 8. He checked to see if the operator was planning on waiting for cruisers to come in and he was not.

I was under the impression that Roatan is the best snorkeling on that itinerary. Cozumel is a great place to sit on a beach and go shopping. The best thing we did there was rent a Jeep at the port for $40. Then we drove to the other side of island away from the crowds. The beaches there are breathtaking and there is even a Mayan ruins site. Best day in Cozumel ever. However you can take a five minute cab from port to Paradise Beach. $ 5 cover and Beach is gorgeous. They have wonderful facilities and a beautiful pool. The port shopping is one of my favorite of all cruise ports.Good luck in your planning.

I’m glad you told me!! I was under the impression Cozumel had the best snorkeling. Forget that then lol!

Belize is arguably one of the best Dive stops in the world but the mass market snorkel trips are designed for optimum timing NOT best snorkeling --I agree with what was said before about Cozumel--not at all good for snorkel--great if you dive the wall but otherwise any of the other ports would be better

I’ve never snorkeled so if they’re on optimum time, I’m out of luck lol! I’m going to check out the other ports. Thank you!

Cozumel has the best scuba diving in the Caribbean. Not the best snorkeling there as the reefs are really too deep to enjoy. Also Cozumel's reefs are so lush because of the current, which makes for drift diving. Not great at the surface for snorkelers though.

Roatan and Belize are both GREAT snorkeling as the reefs are shallow. Do which ever works best for you. Belize requires that you take a boat out to the small islands (Cays) that form the barrier reef. Roatan has the reefs right next to the shore line. Belize and Roatan both have very little current so very safe to snorkel. I prefer doing them both from a boat though to get away from beach sand and splashing people. I want to be out where the coral is pristine and you just can't get that right up next to shore in most destinations.

robin