Want do to at least one beach day in Hawaii

Anubi

When you consider Maui, Oahu and Kauai, which island would you consider best for a beach day, not necessarily for snorkeling but just a lazy beach day. The main problem, of course, will be timing.

For a beach day I like Waikiki beach in Oahu. You can rent chairs and umbrella and eat or drink at the many restaurants in that area. We parked ourselves outside of Duke's Waikiki. Great location and Great food/drinks.

So many great beaches in Hawaii but I agree with jennybenny. If you like to be in the water Waikiki is wonderful, plus everything that jennybenny said. Have fun. Cherie

We had our beach day at Waikiki. Thanks to info here on CC, we purchased a day pass on the city bus for $2 each as we got the senior discount. We got off near the zoo and walked across the street to Waikiki. There's a public restroom and places to eat there as well.

It's helpful to take some water socks as the lava rock on the ocean floor at Waikiki can be sharp.

If you have never been to Hawaii before I would go to Kanopolli beach that is if your port stop is Lahaina.

Or

A beach in Kuau there is one close to where the ship docks.

Waikiki beach is busy. If you want to do a beach on

Oahu, I would rent a car and drive over to North Shore to Turtle Bay. If you have not been to Waikiki Beach and want the experience then it would be OK.

I don’t like the beach’s on the big island. More of a waterfall and volcano island.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On Oahu, we walked left from Waikiki beach (too many rocks in the water) past the ocean baths to Sans Souci Beach. Still clear water, gradual even gradient, short walk and quiet. It was recommended by an airline hostess who travels therecall the time.

Waikiki is a crowded tourist trap- the only good spots to reserve on the beach are the chair setups at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and those are only for guests. The beach itself is rocky and shallow until you get way out. Full of people on surfboards (who don’t know what they’re doing) and large catamarans coming and going.

As others have said- Kaanapali beach on Maui is a great spot with lots of beach services and places to eat. Much nicer than Waikiki.