Shopping outside the port of Cozumel & beach club suggestions

love2cruise95

Hello, first time cruiser here. We are wanting to shop in Cozumel and go to a beach club. Do you have any suggestions on were to find good priced shops outside the Carnival port? Also, we were thinking about going to Mr. Sanchos or Nachi Cocom, which do you like better?
Been to both Nachi and Mr Sanchos multiple times each. My opinion if you like very quiet almost too quiet Nachi is your place. If you like good food Mr Sanchos is 1000% better but the whole place is more upbeat. For us Mr Sanchos is the clear winner

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Forums mobile app

Just take a taxi downtown. It's about a 15min ride. You'll find the vendors a bit aggressive but that's just part of the experience. Good restaurants on the town square and plenty of cabs to take you back to the ship. English is spoken by most of the shopkeepers

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Hello, first time cruiser here. We are wanting to shop in Cozumel and go to a beach club. Do you have any suggestions on were to find good priced shops outside the Carnival port? Also, we were thinking about going to Mr. Sanchos or Nachi Cocom, which do you like better?

Hi Love2cruise95,

My wife and I have been to Coz many times. Our routine is to grab a cab to the beach of your choice. Typically $12 per cab, not per person. Hang until 1pm throw on some dry clothes, then grab a cab to San Miguel (Downtown). We get lunch in one of the neat sidewalk cafes, and then do a little shopping. Our recent favorite beach is Playa Uva. We like the 4 hour open bar deal. Mr Sancho is nice. Don't know about Nachi. Cabs are everywhere, ie. Port, all the beaches, and Downtown. So you never have to wait to get somewhere. So read a bunch on the boards here to decide on the perfect beach for you.

Beaches and shopping are in opposite directions. You can take a cab to downtown San Miguel which has lots of shops, really cheap beer you can walk around town with a plenty of food choices. IMO cafe dennis is really good. The beaches are in the opposite direction from the pier. Mr Sanchos is a favorite of ours. We've also done a driver for the day several times so we can go around the island and downtown stopping were we want.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

The shops a block in from the seaside walk are usually a bit cheaper and the vendors are not as agressive. There is a small market of local vendors at the back side of the town square in San Miguel, as well as some good restaurants.

A cab from the Carnival port to the downtown mall is about $7USD one way for 2, and you can walk through the rest of San Miguel from there. Going back there are cabs lined up against the seawall ready to take you back to the ship.

For a beach club, the cabs go in the other direction from the port and Mr Sanchos and Nachi Cocum are adjacent to each other along the same strip of beach sand. You can walk from one to the other. It's a matter of preference which one is better. I like Nachi because it is capacity capped and usually quieter, and IMO, has the better more authentic Mexican food. Their salsa is hot, and I've never had a complaint with any grilled fish or camarones aiello I've ordered. You can review both menus on their respective web sites.

All are good suggestions. We have also been to Cozumel many times over the years, most recently last month. We have been to the beach clubs, but not recently so I will not comment on that. We have noticed that more and more of the shopping, restaurants, and bars have moved from downtown to the pier areas over the years and especially in the last 4-5 years. There are still some good options downtown but not as many as there used to be. We would still vote for going downtown, but reserve some time to walk the pier area shops as well. If you want food downtown we can suggest Panchos Backyard. It is all the way down near the end of town further-est from the pier on the main drag near the ocean but is walk-able from anywhere downtown. We thought the food was very good and it is not one of those rowdy places if you want a break from that. There are plenty of those at the pier. We visit downtown and then go back to the pier area for the party.

We totally enjoyed Mr. Sanchos back in August, In fact, that alone is the whole reason I want to go back to Cozumel.

When we got back to the pier at 5:30 or so, Margaritaville was closed which is where we planned to go. In fact, almost everything around was closed and it was eerie.So we just went back to the ship.

If you are going shopping downtown, maybe try Buccano's just north of the city, they have great food! Costs $10 a person to enter, and drinks and food are reasonably priced!

South of the port, either Sancho's with more activites/action, or Nachi Cocom which is quieter and limited to about 130 people per day are good choices! Both have cover charges, can't remember Sancho's, byt Nachi's which we will be at next week runs $110. a couple. Never feels crowded! Taxi's 1 way are abt. $17..

Another choice south that's great is Playa Palancar, costs nothing to enter, the food and drinks are cheap, but good, and because they are the last beach before the end, and cost abt. $25 for a taxi one way, it never seems that busy!

Best shopping away from the pier shops will be downtown, as suggested above.

When my 20 something daughters cruise with us we wind up at Sanchos or Paradise Beach - they love the water toys and lively atmosphere.

When it is just the wife and I we prefer Nachi - quiet, never crowded, relaxing, with great food, drinks and service.

If you want good snorkeling from the shore then head to the Money Bar - no real beach (you enter the water via steps), but lots of chairs, loungers, tables & shade and no admission fee. We've even stopped to snorkel for a while, enjoyed a drink and some nachos, and then grabbed another taxi to a beach club with a beach for the rest of the day.

So it sort of depends upon what you want in a beach club - all inclusive? water toys? snorkeling? quiet? :confused:

We totally enjoyed Mr. Sanchos back in August, In fact, that alone is the whole reason I want to go back to Cozumel.

When we got back to the pier at 5:30 or so, Margaritaville was closed which is where we planned to go. In fact, almost everything around was closed and it was eerie.So we just went back to the ship.

Seems strange everything at International was closed at that time - no late ships on on that day? I don’t understand the logic of moving Margaritaville.

Hmm, just checked website apparently closes 5 or 6 local time every night. I thought Allure didn’t leave until 7.

Edited by c-leg5

Really? I keep reading that everything remains open in Puerta Maya until the ship leaves :confused: (in our case 10 pm) .Was it a special situation?

EDIT: I was thinking about Puerta Maya because the Op said Carnival Port. ;)

Really? I keep reading that everything remains open in Puerta Maya until the ship leaves :confused: (in our case 10 pm) .Was it a special situation?

EDIT: I was thinking about Puerta Maya because the Op said Carnival Port. ;)

Our ship left at 10 that night. Sanchos closed at 5 and our plan was to stay at Margaritaville as late as we could. Big Buffet fans - been to his concerts and many other Margaritavilles, so we were really excited about going to the Cozumel one. So much for that. :loudcry: