Pride of America Cruise

Hi, I have done that cruise twice and in each port I hired a car and drove around to the places I wanted to see. Very easy, each car hire company meets the ship and takes u to there office and you return it to there office and they take you back to the ship

I haven't been on the POA but have cruised around Hawaii.

At Hilo we did a helicopter tour over the volcano.

Honolulu we had a car and went all around the whole island. Another time we went to Pearl harbour.

Lahaina we also had a car and went all around the island. Another time we did the luau and such.

Kona we did a submarine tour of the reef and did some swimming/snorkelling.

We did that cruise a few years ago - thoroughly enjoyed it. It is quite different from any other cruise we have been on ( and we have done 24 so far) . It is a "fun" cruise - the fun starts before you even join the ship while waiting in the terminal before boarding. It is a VERY Hawaiaan cruise - unlike other cruises which simply visit Hawaii , this one IS Hawaiaan and there is a big difference between the two. It is possible to be just a bit disappointed with Hawaii itself if you think that you are just going to walk off the ship into a tropical wonderland. In most of the ports , you really need to do some kind of tour to get you away from the port. Considering that Hawaii is just a bunch of little islands :) - it is a big place which is very untropical around the commercial ports.

We did a helicopter flight on Kauai. It was absolutely fantastic. Through canyons and past sheer cliffs and waterfalls.

Kauai is the wettest island so it may change flight by flight but we had a very dry day and saw everything. It was awesome.

In Maui the Road to Hana tour is long but very good. Also the Volcano tour is good as well as tours along the rugged coast at the west part of the island.

Hilo we did a tour of the volcanic area and it was very interesting.

On Oahu we did an around the island tour and it was very nice. When we toured we went with Roberts Hawaii who were very fairly priced and provided good tours

POA Hawaii was my first cruise and it made me fall in love with cruising.

It was 9 years ago so things might have changed. I was late 20s friend late 40s and I think her son was 9 or 10 so our activities had to be suitable for him too. All tours were through NCL. We often did a morning tour git back intime for lunch on the ship then got off again and took a shuttle to eother toen centres or a shopping complex. They were free or like $1

Maui

Day 1 Haleakala crater. It was really beautiful. There is the lookout where they drop you off but you can take a shift walk to a higher view point. Be aware you are at a higher altitude. Take it easy on the shirt walk.i considered myself fit and I was puffing.

Maui day 2 my friend went zip lining and said it was amazing. I took her son to the aquarium and a national park. It was just okay..

Hilo. We did a tour that was destined as a hike but it really wasn't. We saw a double down now waterfall which was nice. But tour was a waste

Kona. We did a snorkeling trip and it was amazing. They had pool noodles for those not great at swimming and even boogie boards with a plastic cut out. So you could see without getting your face wet. We all snored for a bit. Had lunch onboard then I went out again this time with the kids on the boogie board but me with the strap on my wrist dragging him around with me. Amazing.

Kauai day 1 I went horse riding. Never have done it before and it was great ,pretty scenery and they pointed out a few spots where some films were shot.

Kauai day 2. Waimea canyon. It's really beautiful. It's called grand canyon of the Pacific. Mmm I went to grand canyon a few years later, that was Grand. Waimea canyon is good if you like nature but otherwise you cruise past the na pali coastline as you leave Kauai and it's similar and beautiful looking.

We also did the luau . It was okay . I'm glad I can say I've been to a luau but I wouldn't do again

Hope this helps

Not that much to say except that you are under the water and you get to look out of the windows at the reef, sea bed, fish etc, there is a guide explaining things and giving a commentary and you can ask questions. I cannot remember what it cost us (around $100 aud each)

Is that submarine tour company still around?......I thought they "went under" :D

http://atlantisadventures.com/submarines/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Atlantis%20Hawaii%20-%20Middle%20Funnel&utm_term=sub%20tours%20in%20hawaii&utm_content=Hawaii%20-%20Middle%20Funnel This was the mob we used, still seems to be able to book it.