Two Dining Questions about Eurodam

dmg1956

We will be on the Eurodam in Alaska beginning the end of July this year. I have two questions:

1. Is lunch available in the MDR (Rotterdam) on embarkation day? I know Mariners can eat there but we will be traveling with two friends who have no Mariner status.
  2. Is Rudi's Sel de Mer worth making a reservation? Opinion's welcome. I just discovered this dining option is available on our cruise. We already have reservations for Tamarind, Pinnacle, and Canaletto.

Many thanks to all who choose to respond.

The dining room usually is open on embarkation day. They no longer treat this as a Mariner perk. All guests are "eligible" to have lunch there. Sometimes it's closed for a special event, like a travel agent tour, but more often than not it's open. Don't ask--nobody on board ever seems to know about it. Just go and see if it's open.

Sorry, haven't tried Sel de Mer yet.

We tried Sel de Mar popup on our last cruise and even though we had reservations for both times it was going to be available on our 16 day cruise, we cancelled the second event after we ate there the first time. We did not care for it. Your milage may vary.

We will be trying the 1st Sel de Mer pop up menu on the Prinsendam. I will be sure to report on my live thread.

I have others booked and if we are not happy, we will cancel. I have my fingers crossed as I have heard some good reports and some bad. It seems to be mixed.

Only based on what I have read it seems that the earlier pop ups were a bust and the later ones seem to be good.

We will be on the Eurodam in Alaska beginning the end of July this year. I have two questions

1. Is Rudi's Sel de Mer worth making a reservation? Opinion's welcome. I just discovered this dining option is available on our cruise. We already have reservations for Tamarind, Pinnacle, and Canaletto.

Many thanks to all who choose to respond.

We were on Eurodam 14 days in Nov/Dec 2017. Though food reviews are subjective, Sel de Mer was not good. Tamarind, Pinnacle, Canaletto were all very good to excellent.

I have no experience but I would say book Sel de Mer so you have it as an option, and cancel if you want to once you get closer to sailing. You will have time to watch the reviews once Alaska sailings have started. I'm thinking the menu between the Caribbean and Alaska will vary. My family of 4 will be giving SdM a try in late May. We will report. If the reviews are overwhelmingly negative, you can always cancel!

We dined at Sel de Mer on the K'dam last year and it was okay. Not fabulous, but okay. Tried the pop up on the Eurodam in November and we were very dissatisfied. The service was perfunctory, the food okay but definitely not worth the price!

I ordered the crepes Suzette for dessert and they brought out what amounted to pancakes -- thick pancakes. I pointed out that these were not crepes and they answer was pretty much "okay". They did not offer to remake them correctly -- they remained untouched.

After that experience, we won't be trying the Sel de Mer again.

Others have enjoyed it.

We were on the E-dam R/T to Alaska last September and had our embarkation lunch in the MDR. Its a very limited menu but it was nice to sit down and relax.

Had considered SdM but settled for Tamarind twice - overheard that SdM was just OK. Tamarind was awesome