Princess Coffee Cards now have expiration dates

whatcruiseisnext

Just got off the Ruby today and yes we exchanged our mini-bar setup for 2 coffee cards and they have the expiration date of 12/31/2018 on back. Our next cruise unfortunately is on the Regal Princess in September where fresh brewed coffee is always available in Horizon Court. So if it holds true that these cards will totally expire then we will share as many punches as possible with our 4 traveling companions for the Specialty brews.

Who knows we just might make some "new friends" on the cruise and treat them to some Lattes, Cappuccinos and brews of their choices but don't plan to leave any punches remaining on those cards!;p

Thanks for the quick response!

Just got off the Ruby today and yes we exchanged our mini-bar setup for 2 coffee cards and they have the expiration date of 12/31/2018 on back. Our next cruise unfortunately is on the Regal Princess in September where fresh brewed coffee is always available in Horizon Court. So if it holds true that these cards will totally expire then we will share as many punches as possible with our 4 traveling companions for the Specialty brews.

Who knows we just might make some "new friends" on the cruise and treat them to some Lattes, Cappuccinos and brews of their choices but don't plan to leave any punches remaining on those cards!;p

Same thing on the Royal. The punches not used by 12-31-18 will be gone.

I'll continue to utilize my old coffee cards & sell the new ones with expiration dates on eBay for $20.

I still can't understand how they can continue to sell them to people without explaining that they will be worthless after the printed date.

I listened to a few sales pitches from the crew and not once did they mention anything about the card expiring id not used by the end of the year.

Talking to the F&B manager they didn't think it presented any problem.

i also hear my 100 dollar future cruise deposit is non refundable anymore

and i got an unused coffee card

i do find it strange that people are having a cry about a 30dollar card after they fork out thousands for a suite

and how many of these people who claim they will never sail princess again actually go through with their threats

Do you have any documentation that the future cruise certificate is non-refundable? If so, this is something new....and will probably hurt Princess badly. I wouldn't buy them without the promise that they are refundable.

I do get that if you use one to make a deposit on a cruise that has non-refundable deposits, it becomes non-refundable.

Why do people sell coffee cards? I've given some away, have no problem with the expiration date, don't blame Princess one bit if people are turning around and selling them.

Well, I'm so happy that you have no problem with an expiration date. In my opinion, selling me a card for 15 coffees and then cutting it off before I've gotten my 15 coffees is flat-out theft. I would rather see Princess remove the coffee cards as a benefit for mini-bar trade-in, if reselling is the problem they're trying to solve, than go to expiration dates. And, yes, I say that even though I did turn in my mini-bar for coffee cards on my last cruise.

Some cruise promotions come with the condition that the deposit is non-refundable if the booking is cancelled. If you have used your FCD with one of those promotions, then it will not be refunded if you cancel the booking.

For sales promotions with refundable deposits, you would still get your FCD back if the booking is cancelled before the penalty period starts.

Why do people sell coffee cards? I've given some away, have no problem with the expiration date, don't blame Princess one bit if people are turning around and selling them.

Since many people have paid money for them, it's there's to do with as they please.

Would it upset you if they confiscated your future cruise deposit at the end of two years?

Same thing...and it may not be to far fetched to consider.:o

Since many people have paid money for them, it's there's to do with as they please.

Would it upset you if they confiscated your future cruise deposit at the end of two years?

Same thing...and it may not be to far fetched to consider.:o

But the reality is most people who are selling the cards did not pay hard cold cash for them... If you have an unused card purchased on your voyage it can return and you received credit back for it.......I know this from experience......

Some cruise promotions come with the condition that the deposit is non-refundable if the booking is cancelled. If you have used your FCD with one of those promotions, then it will not be refunded if you cancel the booking.

For sales promotions with refundable deposits, you would still get your FCD back if the booking is cancelled before the penalty period starts.

BTW...you can book the same cruise without the promo and still have a refundable deposit......now, I should say that was told to me by my TA , but I have never done it......

Years ago, I remember Princess stating the specialty coffee cards were good on your next voyage(s). I am down to three punches on my old card, so three days ago I purchased a new one for my April cruise. Guess I will hoard the old card and use the new one. I hate this practice and they will hear from me!

But the reality is most people who are selling the cards did not pay hard cold cash for them... If you have an unused card purchased on your voyage it can return and you received credit back for it.......I know this from experience......

Let me get this straight. Are you saying that they bought your coffee card back for CASH?

You must have bought the coffee card & they were just refunding your money to appease you at the time.

When I complained about the expiration date, buying them back wasn't an option they offered me.

Let me get this straight. Are you saying that they bought your coffee card back for CASH?

You must have bought the coffee card & they were just refunding your money to appease you at the time.

When I complained about the expiration date, buying them back wasn't an option they offered me.

Didn't say CASH, said credit , the same away I bought it.....

As we all know ship, mgr, day of the month...etc...whatever all plays a roll in what happens. But I think what I stated is is pretty cut and dry.

No one was appeasing me...I was returning a product.

So are you saying you bought the card.....and immediately requested a refund after seeing the expiration date.....?

And they would not credit your account? So what options did they offer you?

My situation, a year+ ago(honestly do not remember what ship) purchased 2 cards, no exp. date(obviously), beginning of cruise....one card they put ship & cruise number, other they left blank. Did not use either card for fresh brewed coffee..... Noticed towards end of cruise did not need additional card. Requested refund, it was a credit on our SBA. Simple....Why would you not expect them to do this, it is a purchase you made on that sailing, just like returning something in one of the shops on board.

Edited by land lover

We really don't care about the free brewed coffee, but do like to have separate coffee cards as we're not attached by the hip on the ship. It was nice to know that we can bring our unused cards with us on the next cruise. If cards are going to have an expiration date, then we'll probably be drinking fewer lattes. :(:o

Years ago, I remember Princess stating the specialty coffee cards were good on your next voyage(s). I am down to three punches on my old card, so three days ago I purchased a new one for my April cruise. Guess I will hoard the old card and use the new one. I hate this practice and they will hear from me!

:DReminds me when I went to Sees candy and used a 5 year old, 1 pound gift certificate, the clerk told me this is valuable, you know we stopped making these last year, GCs now, are in dollars....so now I am hoarding several of the old 1 pound GCs........What's wrong with this picture......:DActually, I haven't returned to Sees since I learned this.....so don't know what I would do....

Chocolate or coffee...Enjoy

Edited by land lover

In my opinion I think Princess could save a lot of time and aggravation, simply by adding a question on their check in page. Where you are asked if you would like a Robe, bed configuration, they could add mini bar or coffee cards or one specialty dining for two.....it would save a lot of running around by room service.

Did you like my added option of dinner!?!? ;)

In my opinion I think Princess could save a lot of time and aggravation, simply by adding a question on their check in page. Where you are asked if you would like a Robe, bed configuration, they could add mini bar or coffee cards or one specialty dining for two.....it would save a lot of running around by room service.

Yes, but how many spots do they have available for free specialty dining? You get it for staying in a suite, you get it with lots of promotions, etc. If they started giving it in lieu of a mini-bar set up....I don't know if anyone paying for a spot would be able to get availability.

Well..we know how good that works with the robe and bed configuration.......;) and not everyone is elite.

Yes, dinner would be great...but can you imagine all the complaining...I'm Elite BAAA BAAA, you hear it enough on the ship as it is.....;pthat would totally open up a can of worms....

You do know at one time you could change out your mini bar for a bottle of liquor and mixers....prior to the coffee cards.......the coffee cards really cost them nothing and the mini bar set up, maybe...10-15 bucks at the most....

Does the wording on the back still say "Unused Coffee Punches Redeemable on next voyage"

I'm confused. So the card altogether is no longer valid after the expiration date?

Yes, it does still say "Unused specialty coffees redeemable on the next voyage" but with the expiration date also printed at the bottom. I'm sure they'll have a few heated arguments when that date arrives.

I'm going to enjoy the entertaining conversations at the IC coffee bar when it arrives. :D

I can't wait to hear the explanation give by the supervisors. ;)

Well..we know how good that works with the robe and bed configuration.......;) and not everyone is elite.

Yes, dinner would be great...but can you imagine all the complaining...I'm Elite BAAA BAAA, you hear it enough on the ship as it is.....;pthat would totally open up a can of worms....

You do know at one time you could change out your mini bar for a bottle of liquor and mixers....prior to the coffee cards.......the coffee cards really cost them nothing and the mini bar set up, maybe...10-15 bucks at the most....

The coffee cards do cost them both in actual cost of product consumed and labor, but also opportunity costs. The revenue they give up by giving out the cards.

and i got an unused coffee card

i do find it strange that people are having a cry about a 30dollar card after they fork out thousands for a suite

and how many of these people who claim they will never sail princess again actually go through with their threats

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, it does still say "Unused specialty coffees redeemable on the next voyage" but with the expiration date also printed at the bottom. I'm sure they'll have a few heated arguments when that date arrives.

I'm going to enjoy the entertaining conversations at the IC coffee bar when it arrives. :D

I can't wait to hear the explanation give by the supervisors. ;)

I don't envision that at all.....Many will try to use their card before the exp. date or just toss their card when they see the expiration date...others will press the issue and the barista will give in....and punch it....do you really think management is gng to make an issue out of this....?

I still don't understand why everyone complains about not being able to use the coffee card for gelato....I never cruised on Royal or Regal so never got to use it and by the time I cruised Majestic policy had changed. However...I decided to pay for it on one voyage a few years ago because of all the raves on CC .......and boy was I disappointed..not to let that one experience of 3 favors shade my opinion......I still ask for samples...wherever it's available on future sailings so I have pretty much tried every flavor and still do not understand why having to pay for it now is such a big deal to many people on CC.