Is there one thing you miss about cruising that they don't do anymore?

Peachypooh

I miss having whoever dropped us off at the pier being able to come on board for a tour. Then sipping champagne with them until the all ashore who's going ashore chimes sounded. It was fun!

Funny you should mention this! When I was a kid we had an uncle that lived in Miami. When we went to Florida for a visit, he always took us to the cruise ship piers and we boarded the ships. We would walk around with wide eyes taking everything in. I even remember them serving little sandwiches and punch that we could eat "for free"! Then they would blown the horn and tell everyone that was not sailing to get off the ship. Can't believe how lax they were with security and such. I guess those little visits is what started my love for cruising!

Funny you should mention this! When I was a kid we had an uncle that lived in Miami. When we went to Florida for a visit, he always took us to the cruise ship piers and we boarded the ships. We would walk around with wide eyes taking everything in. I even remember them serving little sandwiches and punch that we could eat "for free"! Then they would blown the horn and tell everyone that was not sailing to get off the ship. Can't believe how lax they were with security and such. I guess those little visits is what started my love for cruising!

I wonder if some "Forgot to get off."

I wonder if some "Forgot to get off."

I often thought it would be so easy to be a "stow-away" on one of these cruises! Cruising the Caribbean you could almost sleep on a lounge chair on the open deck. Although, back then it would be much more difficult when it came to the food. The only buffet they had was the midnight buffet. Each person was assigned a table in the main dining room for breakfast, lunch and dinner, either early or late seating. Might get pretty hungry waiting for midnight to eat your one meal! I remember how hard it was to get up at 7:00 am for our early breakfast, knowing we would not have an opportunity to eat again until lunch. There was no where on the ship to even get a snack if you missed breakfast.

So from someone who just started cruising in the last 5-6 years a couple of questions..........

What was so great about the "midnight buffet" that makes people miss it?

And what exactly entails "horse racing" around the pool? I know what I am picturing, but I know what I'm picturing is NOT what it actually could have been. ;p

So from someone who just started cruising in the last 5-6 years a couple of questions..........

And what exactly entails "horse racing" around the pool? I know what I am picturing, but I know what I'm picturing is NOT what it actually could have been. ;p

Horse racing involved cardboard? wood? horse cut outs that would "race" via dice throw if I recall. To start your could bid on the horse to "own" it then you got to decorate it how you saw fit. Once all the horses were bought and decorated they would parade them around. Then they would accept bets on who would win. Dice would be rolled, horses would advance, someone would win. Drunken people, screaming at cut out horses advancing randomly around a track, good times.

The midnight buffet was beautiful, and everything was eatable. Like Willy Wonka with normal food and candies.

Horse racing involved cardboard? wood? horse cut outs that would "race" via dice throw if I recall. To start your could bid on the horse to "own" it then you got to decorate it how you saw fit. Once all the horses were bought and decorated they would parade them around. Then they would accept bets on who would win. Dice would be rolled, horses would advance, someone would win. Drunken people, screaming at cut out horses advancing randomly around a track, good times.

The midnight buffet was beautiful, and everything was eatable. Like Willy Wonka with normal food and candies.

Wow! I see why both are missed. Thanks for the response.

I love this description of the midnight buffet! It was amazing! Esp. a midnight chocolate buffet! Horrible for the waistline but YUM!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Getting the manifest of everyone onboard, and also the better free dining options. (lobster) and presentation.

you know it is interesting how many mention Lobster. Except for it being something we rarely get and seems special, I never thought the quality was all that great and I really do not miss it. I can go to the store, pick up a frozen one anytime, grill it and it is about the same.

you made me smile: No, there are no horses running around the deck, but it would fun to watch I guess. :')They had a number, usually about 6 wooden horses with people moving them a certain number of spaces, depending on the roll of the dice. We could bet on the horse of our choice. As they moved around the pool area, we would cheer our horse on. The race would last just a few minutes. Of course everyone who had the correct horse (they were numbered) would win. If I remember right there were about 6 races every morning or afternoon around the deck. It was great fun

As for midnight buffet, well that is certainly a matter of opinion. We were never impressed as by midnight, it was are still up we are too full to eat but they are beautiful and fun to take pictures of. There are ice scultures, vegetable and fruit scultures, etc. Sometimes they were served at 11pm instead of midnight. As years went by the buffet was replaced with a chocolate buffet which was similar in beaufy as the old buffets but again a lot of work for the kitchen staff with not that many acutally eating much of the food they prepared. More people just enjoyed taking pictures.

I miss the co-ordination of the waiter and "bus boy" @ dinner.

The waiter would show you the appetizers and take your order.

The waiter would serve your salad, the bus boy would follow immediately with dressings on his tray.

The waiter would never touch a dirty dish, the bus boy would clear your dishes.

The waiter would serve your next course, the bus boy would follow with appropriate condiments.

This went on for all the courses, it was Poetry In Motion...

The Head Waiter would come by and introduce himself and assist...

The Sommieller, with his tasting cup around his neck, would decant your wine selection with classic European flair,

presenting the cork, tasting it first, and then pouring you a sample for approval before serving to the table.

Before dessert the bus boy would "brush" the crumbs, using the back of a knife, from your table.

The waiter would reappear showing you samples of the dessert offerings...

If you ordered Banana Foster the Head Waiter would flame them table side...

This is not that long ago - 20 years - RCI Empress of the Seas - Bermuda - when it used to go to St George & Hamilton

Celebrity Zenith the same...

The Good Old Days...

PS - Of course this was back when the service charge was not included and you had to stuff tip envelopes and present them on the last night of the cruise.

Many have mentioned the Midnight Buffet.... Anyone else miss the Baked Alaska?

YES YES YES!

Also miss the ability to order shrimp cocktail every night, Lobster night, horse races, they days when the wifi wasn't by any means affordable and people put their phones down for a week, receiving a DVD from the TA showing the ship because things like Youtube didn't always exist, bringing our own bottled water on board, getting free used decks of cards from guest services, and being able to get soft served ice cream without worrying if the machine is broken our out of ingredients.

Dont Miss: long dinners, dressing up, paying for alcohol, art auctions in the atrium

On NCL:

Lobster night in the dining room

Beef Wellington

Smaller ships

Shows you do not need to get tickets for

Activities that aren't just advertising for spa/stores

From my early days pre-NCL:

Gala Midnight Buffets

Having your salad cut up for you and assistant waiter bring dressing

Getting to know your waiter and table mates

Bingo that wasn't a complete ripoff

I miss the cruise lines enforcing the rules that they have in place:

• no chair hogs
  • no children in adult areas
  • inappropriate dress in the evening or specialty dining rooms
  • no sex in the hot tubs (yes I have seen this; nothing was done).

Just a few I can think of that are no longer enforced.

Edited by Cruisercl
typos

i miss the early or late seating and the same table, waiters, etc. and the waiters all dancing into the dining room and the baked Alaska. I also miss having a small orchestra playing ballroom style music and ballroom dancing. Such fond memories!

Yes. I miss ballroom dancing music.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is a little thing but I miss the buckets of beer where you pay for five and get the sixth free. But now that a single beer cost upwards of eight bucks a piece I guess I wouldn't want the bucket after all. The last time I got a bucket it was $28.

I’m pretty sure they are still available (they were when I last looked).

You don’t often see them as they aren’t included in the UBP, but I have seen someone buying them fairly recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried to find a pic of a midnight buffet no luck. Did find this pic of a friend skeet shooting from sometime around 1995 give or take a year - it was a long time ago. Carnival ship, not sure which one - Sensation? Holiday? Can anyone identify from this pic?

IMG_2725.jpg.368ed87588a73b544103a577ba14143f.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg.ca249e30237f3dac3f07dbde5f8b308c.jpg