Cabins to avoid on Royal

hollydog

We have sailed most of the Princess fleet and are now considering a cruise on the Royal. Are there any inside cabins or areas we should stay away from? This will be our first experience with the Royal class ships.

Stay away from Marina deck cabins beneath public deck and beneath the Horizon Court or Horizon Bistro. The noise starts at 3:30am. Awful. I've booked sideways inside cabins on Caribe deck. Love the cabins and location. Very quiet.

Stay away from Marina deck cabins beneath public deck and beneath the Horizon Court or Horizon Bistro. The noise starts at 3:30am. Awful. I've booked sideways inside cabins on Caribe deck. Love the cabins and location. Very quiet.

I totally agree with Pam!! She helped me with my choice of a cabin one year and it was great.

Thanks again Pam!!!

Tony

The above are good suggestions. If you are looking at inside cabins, we enjoyed the sideways inside cabin layout, it felt more spacious. On the Regal or Royal we prefer having a cabin closer to one of the elevator/stair banks, as you will find that on a ship this large the halls are quite long! We like the Emerald Deck location (deck 8) as this allows us to use the stairs for a few flights when going to the dining room, International Café, etc. or getting off/on after port stops or back to our cabin after a show lets out, which is when the elevators get crowded. Also, sometimes you can get a deal on the obstructed balcony cabins on Emerald Deck where they aren't much more than the inside cabins.

If you are considering an aft facing cabin, I suggest you ask specifically about that in a new thread because they were (are?) subjected to rains of soot on their balconies. I hope it has gotten better since we sailed in D727 (I think that was the cabin number - it was the owner's suite on the starboard side of Dolphin deck) in December 2013. The lovely balcony was unusable for 5/7s of the trip and previous passengers had tracked soot into the cabin and stained the carpeting (on a 6 month old ship at the time!).

We do like the other aspects of the Royal. We sailed on her for 20 days in a mini-suite under the SkyView Bar and will be on her again this fall for 25 days in another mini-suite.

With that said, I do remember a thread where the forward inside cabins as far up as Baja or Caribe Deck (?) were subjected to noise from the Princess Theater, not only during the shows but during practices as well.
I had C323 for ten days on the Royal and never heard a sound. There is an air vent in the middle of the ship between the port and starboard sideways cabins so there's a very low and steady air sound. It was not annoying or disturbing and was kind of a sound dampener. I've booked this cabin for two more cruises.

I had C323 for ten days on the Royal and never heard a sound. There is an air vent in the middle of the ship between the port and starboard sideways cabins so there's a very low and steady air sound. It was not annoying or disturbing and was kind of a sound dampener. I've booked this cabin for two more cruises.

Thanks Pam, I was wondering what was in that white space on the deck plans...a white noise device. ;)

Would you know what's in the white space between the 300 & 400 interior cabins?

We've booked sideways cabins twice (Royal & Regal) but accepted reasonably priced upsells to deluxe balcony cabins both times. But for our next Royal cruise it doesn't appear that we'll get an upsell & we'll have our first interior sideways cabin experience.

Thanks Pam, I was wondering what was in that white space on the deck plans...a white noise device. ;)

Would you know what's in the white space between the 300 & 400 interior cabins?

Yup. Just like a white noise machine. Don't know what's between the 300's and 400's. Don't remember. A guess is steward storage.

If you are considering an aft facing cabin, I suggest you ask specifically about that in a new thread because they were (are?) subjected to rains of soot on their balconies. I hope it has gotten better since we sailed in D727 (I think that was the cabin number - it was the owner's suite on the starboard side of Dolphin deck) in December 2013. The lovely balcony was unusable for 5/7s of the trip and previous passengers had tracked soot into the cabin and stained the carpeting (on a 6 month old ship at the time!).

We do like the other aspects of the Royal. We sailed on her for 20 days in a mini-suite under the SkyView Bar and will be on her again this fall for 25 days in another mini-suite.

We had the same cabin on the port side (maiden T/A 2013 and found our balcony nearly unusable due to the daily build up of soot.....

Bob

Hi Pam,

The Caribe Deck inside cabins the thread had referred to were the "normal" (non-sideways) inside cabins much further forward than yours that fall directly above the Princess Theater, where below these inside cabins are "void" spaces (crew access spaces?) that alllow the noise from the theater to echo upwards more or less unimpeded. Your cabin C323 falls more or less above the Art Gallery.

My go-to interior cabin is also amidship: C406, a sideways inside cabin, where forward of it is a firewall and zero noise, aft of it was the bathroom of the adjoining cabin next to C406's bathroom and zero noise.

:cool:

• Like 1

I am looking at a pair of connecting (non-sideways) interior cabins on Royal that are midaft on Caribe deck. They are part of a small group of four similar cabins, with white space after that. I think the cabin numbers are C529 and 531 or something like that. Does anyone know about these cabins and location?

• 4 months later...
Our next sailing is a sideways interior on the Royal, I am strangely looking forward to it more than the cruise after, a caribe deck balcony on the crown. I know that makes no sense.

Avoid at all costs the sideways rooms with upper berths on the walls.

Unbeliveably intrusive. (much more so than other categories)

As far as I know, all 4-berth regal/royal sideways cabins have the uppers on the wall.

• Like 1

On the Royal you want to avoid the inside cabins C203, C204, C207, C208, C211 and C212. Same problem on the regal.

Those are right over the stage. There is a two deck space above the theater where sets, curtains and other items are raised into. This means that the floor of those cabins are right over the stage with nothing but open air between them and the theater. I had the misfortune of getting one once (C207) and the music from the theater was louder then the TV, pretty much as loud as if i had been in the theater. It would not have been bad if it was only during performances, but I found that the staff tended to have music playing in the theater whenever anybody was working in there. Often past mid-night to 1 or 2 AM.

Once I went down to complain at 1am and the customer service manager did not believe me so I walked him the theater where, of course, music was playing at pretty high volume.

We were on a 20 day Caribbean cruise (basically 2 10 day cruises sold as 1 20 day) and it was bad enough that we told customer service that if they could not find a place to move use for the 2nd 10 days we would just get off in Fort Lauderdale. They did end up finding us another cabin for the second segment.

We had cabin M627 on the Royal Princess, underneath the aft section of the Horizon and it was very quiet.

This was a little aft from the buffet traffic area.

• 3 weeks later...

I had B406 on Royal for 26-day cruise. Okay but be aware this cabin is next to a crew area/hallway and we heard lots of conversation through the walls. Moreover, it appears there's an internal hallway b/t insides and there is a PA system that you could here regularly. It wasn't horrible but there is noise.