LOST picture ID! Sail in 2 weeks, now what?

Alimariecruisin

He has plenty of time to get a replacement. I don't understand the problem.

Roz

If California is the same as here in Florida the only way to get a replacement for a lost DL is to order and pay the fee online and wait for it to be mailed. You can show the payment receipt to the police as proof you are a licensed driver should you get pulled over, but you are without proof of identity/residency/age until you get the copy in the mail. No way to expedite the replacement.

Only alternative is to get an appointment at one of the emergency passport centers. Which for the OP would likely involve two six hour round trip drives to Los Angeles (one to order, the other to pick up passport a couple days later).

I don't know whether you can apply for a replacement on line, but it will be mailed. I'd suggest that you look up the requirements today and either do it on line tomorrow or be in the DMV line on Monday morning. You CAN make an appointment on line which will save hours if you have to go to the nasty place.

And then you keep looking for the "lost" one and hope for the best. Another alternative; if you are in LA or can travel there, you can do a passport application where he would literally carry it thru the facility and have it issued the same day. There's a fat fee for this, but at least he could be on the ship.

I just saw the above post. I know that a few years ago, you could get the passport the same day on the "carry it there yourself" system. Of course, things could have changed and it could now involve two trips. There are also companies that will carry it thru for you--that's a bigger fee, but if he can't go himself, it might be worth looking at their time frame. Travisa is one such; we used it when we needed a rush on a visa.

A regular application, not expedited in any way took me 16 days last month (renewal for me, initial application for a friend). Obviously that is too long for you.

I'm guessing he doesn't have any other sort of government issued photo ID--military? Doesn't work for a government agency?

Edited by moki'smommy

if you are in LA or can travel there' date=' you can do a passport application where he would literally [b']carry it thru the facility and have it issued the same day[/b]. There's a fat fee for this, but at least he could be on the ship.

My understanding is that the state dept will now only issue the passport the same day for truly exigent circumstances requiring immediate travel, not for a vacation. Since the OPs cruise is not until March 10 (and they will be asked for proof of travel date to even have the on-site application done) they would most likely be given a second appointment to pick up the passport a couple days before the 10th.

If California is the same as here in Florida the only way to get a replacement for a lost DL is to order and pay the fee online and wait for it to be mailed. You can show the payment receipt to the police as proof you are a licensed driver should you get pulled over, but you are without proof of identity/residency/age until you get the copy in the mail. No way to expedite the replacement.

Only alternative is to get an appointment at one of the emergency passport centers. Which for the OP would likely involve two six hour round trip drives to Los Angeles (one to order, the other to pick up passport a couple days later).

Yes, California is same as Florida...gotta wait for it to be mailed. Looking into emergency passport system here in CA..thank you!

Just wondering...we have a couple of credit cards with our pictures on them...would that work???

The requirement is a "government issued photo ID." Unless it is a government issued credit card, I don't think so. FWIW, daughter tried to use her University ID from a state school--she was told no, so had to offer her passport or DL. She liked the school ID photo better....and you know how kids can be.

Here in TN you can walk into a license bureau and walk out with a replacement.

In Florida this was stopped long ago. Was far too easy for a teenager to walk into the DMV, say they lost their license, present the birth certificate (or other non-picture ID) of a friend or sibling over 21, and immediately be issued a DL with their picture and the other person's DOB. Now a duplicate DL will have the original picture on file and only be mailed to the original address unless a change of address request (with fee) is processed first.

In Florida this was stopped long ago. Was far too easy for a teenager to walk into the DMV, say they lost their license, present the birth certificate (or other non-picture ID) of a friend or sibling over 21, and immediately be issued a DL with their picture and the other person's DOB. Now a duplicate DL will have the original picture on file and only be mailed to the original address unless a change of address request (with fee) is processed first.

My son needed to replace his driver's license while he was home on leave a few months ago. He is stationed in Hawaii and his license is a Florida license as this is his permanent residence. We went into the driver's license bureau and he was given a new license and walked out with it.

OP is in California. My daughter moved there a year ago. The process there is painful (in contrast to where I live) and everything must be mailed. The clerks are at the very low end of functioning; I caught the one who handled her in 4 errors during the process and still I missed one! At least in LA, it is not a pleasant experience, and this was with an advanced appointment.

This is very interesting to me, since a lot of Californians think of us as backwards hillbillies. We've figured out how to replace a license in under 2 weeks. I use my license as ID a lot and don't know what I would do if I lost it and had to wait weeks for another one.

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

This is very interesting to me, since a lot of Californians think of us as backwards hillbillies. We've figured out how to replace a license in under 2 weeks. I use my license as ID a lot and don't know what I would do if I lost it and had to wait weeks for another one.

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

There’s quite a difference in population though. California’s is about 40 million, Tennessee’s is about 7 million. I’m guessing it’s simpler to replace licenses in a less populated state than a state with a huge population. Having a passport helps if you need another form of ID too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband just told me he can't find his CA Drivers Lic. Our next cruise is 2 weeks from today...we don't have passports...YIKS! I might be sailing alone???

I am OCD (usually) about trips and getting things ready. I was looking to sign my cruise documents and for the life of me I couldn’t find my passport! I had to go to the post office and pay for everything expedited. I probably had time to wait for it since cruise is in 6 weeks but not taking the chance. I should have it next week and can fill out my documentation and quiet my OCD! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can he get a plain, old state ID card? Works just like a DL as ID, just doesn't have driving privileges.

As cruise4kicks said, can’t you just walk into your local Town Hall and get a walkers id? You may have to bring birth certificate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In California the processing time is the same whether you're applying for a driver's license or a State ID. Both are done through the Department of Motor Vehicles.

You can't just "walk in, get one and walk out". It has to be mailed.

What a nightmare!!

Good luck!

I know official “expedited passports” take 3 weeks but I’d try the faster process if you can. I think the office in San Francisco can process same day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the on line info says that expedited passports take 3 weeks. I can attest that regular processing, non-expedited are not taking 3 weeks right now. My friend applied for a new passport and I applied for a renewal. Each of them took 16 calendar days from filing to receipt of the passport. It was 4 days more till my old passport was returned. Obviously, this is still too long for OP.