Here's a stupid question for those who have sailed both RCI and Celebrity...TV

CruisinShips

is the TV programming similarly weak on Celebrity as it is on Royal? Meaning do they also repeat the same shows over and over throughout the week and with limited options?

I know, we are on a cruise ship and shouldn't care about TV....I get that...my wife has this habit which I have accepted of falling asleep with the TV on, and I will lay there watching. The repetition on Royal ships makes me crazy. How many times can one watch the same episode of Person of Interest or Two Broke Girls anyway?

I rarely watch TV even at home. But there was a particular news story I wanted to follow when we were on FOS in Sept, 2016. The only news channel available was CNN so that's all I had on, but they didn't seem to be on a loop. I suppose it would depend on satellite reception

Never noticed the shows on a loop, besides the Royal produced ones. I figured CNN and any other channels were live broadcasting or what you would get on land if you were watching that channel?

Doing my first Celebrity cruise after 10 Royal cruises so will be interesting to see.

Never noticed the shows on a loop, besides the Royal produced ones. I figured CNN and any other channels were live broadcasting or what you would get on land if you were watching that channel?

Doing my first Celebrity cruise after 10 Royal cruises so will be interesting to see.

Well, CNN is not on a loop...it's the international variety, so it's different than what we see in the states. There are the Royal channels, of course, and some foreign language channels that I don't watch. But the main ones with syndicated programming are repeated ad nauseum on Royal cruises.

Like said on my subject line....it's a stupid question but it certainly isn't the first one here and it won't be the last!!! ;)

is the TV programming similarly weak on Celebrity as it is on Royal? Meaning do they also repeat the same shows over and over throughout the week and with limited options?

The short answer is yes, it's just as bad. I can live with limited programming on a short 7 day cruise, but longer ones, no. I've taken to downloading Netflix programs and movies onto my tablet to watch.

Just off the Eclipse in December. There was MSNBC, Fox News, CNBC, BBC News, Sky News, two or three channels with spanish ads but english language programming (albeit pretty sad pickings - bad movies, worse tv shows), a kids channel, a channel with a small selection of free on-demand movies (the same ones that they play in the small theatre) and I think a few on-demand tv shows, and then the usual ship channels.

When in Europe, Celebrity has offered BBC news to us ----great for us Brits!

The DVD players in the suites have gone and have been replaced by pay channels for films. For suite users this is a loss because we had free access to the DVD library ---but now we have to pay.

Rather read. I always download 4 or 5 new books to my kindle and make darn sure I don't forget the charger.

I do the same! I have shorter sleep hours than my wife so I can't have the TV on while she sleeps anyway. My kindle keeps me entertained.

I know, we are on a cruise ship and shouldn't care about TV....I get that...my wife has this habit which I have accepted of falling asleep with the TV on, and I will lay there watching. The repetition on Royal ships makes me crazy. How many times can one watch the same episode of Person of Interest or Two Broke Girls anyway?

She's lucky ... I am also in this habit by my DH hates the TV being on so I don't get to watch it at night. But, a couple of cruises ago, I got an iPad and we happened to have unlimited internet so I just got a pair of ear buds and streamed some tv shows of my choice that usually put me to sleep. Win Win!! I never used to use the internet onboard, now, I am not sure I will be able to do without it.

Anyway, yes, a lot of repetition of old shows but there are free movies you can order on demand on Celebrity ... so that might provide a little variety.

There are also a few cable news programs that are live but once you are out of a certain area, you may only get CNN international.

No TV in the bedroom, but I do understand your wife since I am the same way. I put a Netflix movie on with earbuds and finally go to sleep. There is a site where you can download old movies and shows (the copyright has expired) to your device and also there are video podcasts you can download before you leave home. That might help her.