New to cruising - want to go to Alaska - so many questions!

Dal Gal

Hi! So - I'll start with this - I'm 47 yo and my husband passed away recently from cancer. He always wanted to go to Alaska, but never made it up there. I will be booking a trip for May 2018, if I can, to do this for him (and me!). Would depart from Seattle, by myself, and I think I'm looking at one of the 14 day trips, as they appear to go farther north than the 7 day trips. I've never even set foot on a cruise ship, but I really want/need to do this.

Which ships are better than others, and why? If I'm looking for a crowd around my age, would you choose one ship over another? Balcony vs. inside room? Would you recommend one itinerary over another, and why? My travel agent, who I met with for the first time today, also talked about land trips - I'd never thought about that...any experiences? She mentioned cruising up, doing a land trip and flying or taking the train back to Seattle...I'm so confused! I'm leaning towards the round trip cruise - not sure I want to be on a train for that long, and don't really want to have to deal with hotels, flights, etc. We always traveled together, so this would be my "baby step".

I hope I'm asking the right questions, in the right place. If I should be asking this somewhere else, please let me know! Your knowledge and guidance is appreciated! :)

First, I'm sorry for your loss but am happy you are planning this trip. I probably won't be much help but wanted to mention that my son & his wife did a 14 day Alaska round trip from Seattle a few years back. They absolutely loved it. They had done a couple 7 day ones from Vancouver but like you said, the longer one goes further up. The shorter ones can be very touristy.

They did a float plane excursion in Kodiak-expensive but so worth it. They landed a short distance (close actually) to the bears, sat on the pontoon taking many photos of the bears.

I think there may be a section for solo travelers on CC as well that may have suggestions.

Since it's your first cruise I'd do the round trip cruise and maybe another time do the land portion.

You'd be paying a supplement for going solo on the ship so if you could pick an ocean view cabin that is close to an exit in case they announce WHALES or something so you can run out! (unless there's a smoking deal on a balcony).

Dress warm for outside on deck and you may see lots of wildlife. If you stay inside you'll miss it.

We've always cruised Holland America (one Princess). I'm sure any cruise line would be fine for you. Once you decide, join the roll call.

Hope this helps a bit!

Lol-there's a singles and a solo section...just thought the solo may have some pointers for bargains regarding single supplements etc.

I've cruises to Alaska 3 times and love it and would go again in a second. I loved it in May when the snow was so abundant and beautiful.

I am on the May 21, 2018 cruise for 14 days on the Zaandam (Holland America) to Alaska for my 15th visit to the state. The Zaadam is a smaller ship which makes it able to stop in some of the smaller ports.

This cruise is a huge bargain because it departs while most kids are still in school. Airfares are also cheaper because it is not in the normal tourist season. The month of May is my choice for visiting Alaska. May is when you will still see some snow, lots of new baby animals, lower prices, and less rain than most other months.

If you opt for this cruise, you will find many experienced cruisers on our roll call that can help you with your planning.

Hi! So - I'll start with this - I'm 47 yo and my husband passed away recently from cancer. He always wanted to go to Alaska, but never made it up there. I will be booking a trip for May 2018, if I can, to do this for him (and me!). Would depart from Seattle, by myself, and I think I'm looking at one of the 14 day trips, as they appear to go farther north than the 7 day trips. I've never even set foot on a cruise ship, but I really want/need to do this.

Which ships are better than others, and why? If I'm looking for a crowd around my age, would you choose one ship over another? Balcony vs. inside room? Would you recommend one itinerary over another, and why? My travel agent, who I met with for the first time today, also talked about land trips - I'd never thought about that...any experiences? She mentioned cruising up, doing a land trip and flying or taking the train back to Seattle...I'm so confused! I'm leaning towards the round trip cruise - not sure I want to be on a train for that long, and don't really want to have to deal with hotels, flights, etc. We always traveled together, so this would be my "baby step".

I hope I'm asking the right questions, in the right place. If I should be asking this somewhere else, please let me know! Your knowledge and guidance is appreciated! :)

You picked a great place to do your first cruise. I have been to Alaska solo and with others. I would recommend that you keep reading this forum and look at trip advisor. If I were you, I would start going on various cruise line websites and fake booking a cruise to see the cost and what it includes. You can also look at excursions with some cruise lines (Princess for example) without actually booking a cruise. Your budget will determine a LOT, since Alaska is pricey. So do fake bookings for cruise, airfare and excursions to start. After you have a better idea of your budget, come back and post more questions. I looked at pictures on this site and trip advisor to see what I wanted to see/go. I would not rule out land portion since you are paying so much to get there, why not include it? Do you want to go to Denali? Seward? Round trips save you on airfare but you miss the interior and that's a gem (Alaska is becoming too popular and crowded with tourists). Look at previous years' trip reports also. Good luck and post more questions as you narrow things down.

I am so sorry for your loss. But I am very impressed that you are venturing out on your own and doing this trip. I am sure your beloved is proud of you.

Personally, I think since you are not used to traveling alone, a round trip cruise would be a great first step. And the 14 day trips always gets very good reviews. Fourteen days will allow you to settle in a bit and get used to cruising as well.

I know many cruise lines offer pre or post cruise packages. You may want to ask your travel agent about those. Many people find it less stressful to book their flights getting to the ship a day or two early so that if there are any bumps or hiccups along the way, they have time to smooth themselves out.

I think keeping it simple for your first solo trip is a great plan. There are already a lot of decisions to be made about what to do at each port. If you throw in land tours, the decisions multiply exponentially.

After my father died many years ago, my mom took my sister and me on a cruise to Canada and New England. It was her first big trip without Dad. And I think it was the one that gave her the travel bug. :D

I hope you have a great time!

She mentioned cruising up, doing a land trip and flying or taking the train back to Seattle

There is no train from Alaska to Seattle... If you cruise up, you would fly back.

And you can put together the land portion of the trip on your own if you would like. Some people prefer the pre-package tours, others prefer to have a rent car and put together their own trip based on what they want to do.

Sorry about your husband.

As others have mentioned, Alaska is a beautiful place to visit and great for a first cruise.

You mentioned Seattle. Most main stream lines do 7 night RT out of Seattle. Crew News mentioned the Zaandam which does a 14 night RT Seattle with a unique itinerary. This would be worth looking into. He mentions some pros to that ship also which has benefits (small, unique itinerary, etc...)

Otherwise, most ships leave from Vancouver or near Anchorage (Seward or Whittier) and do one ways with land options available. A few from San Francisco and LA. I probably wouldn't recommend leaving from California as I want to spend as much time in Alaska as possible.

I would pick up brochures from your Travel Agent or download them from the cruise lines. I would also recommend getting the book Alaska by Cruise Ship by Anne Vipond. Frommers and Fodors also have books. Just start looking at those.

I would look at a few options and see what you are interested in before jumping into something quickly. Also, I think cruising is easy to do as a solo.

Thank you for the replies! I've ordered the Alaska By Cruise Ship book, should have it on Monday. And, the more I search online, the more I'm convinced that I do want just a cruise - maybe a land/sea option in the future. We live near Seattle, so don't have to worry about flights. And, I have to take it in May 2018. These restrictions will help me narrow down my choices.

Has anyone been on a cruise on the MS Zaandam before? I wouldn't mind less "entertainment", but also want to make sure that if I were to choose the 14-day cruise that there's enough to do on the ship.

Also - the ever popular question - balcony or no balcony? I don't think I could do an inside...I guess knowing an average price to the port excursions would be helpful (any good websites to check out?). Trying to weigh the cost/benefits here of an upgraded room vs. wanting to go do/see things in the ports.

Wow - I hope to one day be a seasoned traveler and not have so many questions! :)

If you decide to do a 7 day R/T, I would leave from Vancouver instead of Seattle. You get the "inside passage" and not the open sea that you would as you do when out of Seattle.

I would suggest an itinerary that includes either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier at the minimum. You may see Tracy Arm listed, but if your ship does not offer the "small boat excursion" you are pretty much too early to see Sawyer Glacier and then you may be taken to the other one because of ice.

I would probably just take the cruise. You are so close to Alaska that you could do a land tour next time on your own. You would be better off doing that another month.

I would opt to have the outside window vs balcony if you want to put your $$ towards some good excursions. They are not cheap. For instance a floatplane in Ketchikan to see Misty Fords will cost an average of $215.

Sorry for your loss.:hearteyes:

Edited by Dancing Shoes
Add

I haven't been on the Zaandam for a few years but loved the ship and the smaller size.

If you go to hollandamerica.com check out their cruise prices for Alaska for 14 days.

I have met Crews News on a previous cruise and he is a fountain of information-he is an excellent photographer too so check his photos out. If you were both on the same cruise you could certainly pick his brain.

I think you'd be fine in an ocean view. Again, check the HAL website and see what their price is for May. You can either do ship excursions or private one which you could discuss on your roll call once you decide.

My son has been trying to get us to do this 14 day Alaska trip but not this year. (Just did a 21 day Caribbean on the Koningsdam).

I'm sure you'd head is spinning with all this-good luck deciding!

If you check out roll calls for upcoming Alaska cruises they are probably discussing excursions and that may give you ideas too about private costs.

Thank you for the replies! I've ordered the Alaska By Cruise Ship book, should have it on Monday. And, the more I search online, the more I'm convinced that I do want just a cruise - maybe a land/sea option in the future. We live near Seattle, so don't have to worry about flights. And, I have to take it in May 2018. These restrictions will help me narrow down my choices.

Has anyone been on a cruise on the MS Zaandam before? I wouldn't mind less "entertainment", but also want to make sure that if I were to choose the 14-day cruise that there's enough to do on the ship.

Also - the ever popular question - balcony or no balcony? I don't think I could do an inside...I guess knowing an average price to the port excursions would be helpful (any good websites to check out?). Trying to weigh the cost/benefits here of an upgraded room vs. wanting to go do/see things in the ports.

Wow - I hope to one day be a seasoned traveler and not have so many questions! :)

We were on the Zaandam 2 years ago. We have done many cruises on many ships and lines. But the Zaandam is our favorite ship, our favorite Captain, and, our favorite itinerary--around the Horn. Trust us, you will not lack for things to do and, because it is smallish, you meet more people. Hope this help!

Travel on! Deb

We were on the Zaandam 2 years ago. We have done many cruises on many ships and lines. But the Zaandam is our favorite ship, our favorite Captain, and, our favorite itinerary--around the Horn. Trust us, you will not lack for things to do and, because it is smallish, you meet more people. Hope this help!

Travel on! Deb

I tend to favor the smaller ships also. You seem to meet people and see them often. I also think service and food is better on the smaller ships. I will always choose a small ship over a large ship.

I wouldn't worry about being bored.

First, let me say how sorry I am for your loss. I can't even imagine going through the rest of my life without my wife.

My wife took the Holland America Alaska14 day cruise last year on the Maasdam in 2016 to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. It was a fantastic itinerary and we loved the small ship experience. We have booked another Holland America 14 day Alaska cruise in 2019. It's nice to sail round trip out of Seattle.

My wife took tons of pictures of our cruise and made them into slide shows for her website. They include all of our port visits as well as the ship and our room. Feel free to take a look at them at the link below when you have time.

14 Day Alaska Cruise on Holland America's Maasdam

A cruise is a wonderful way to travel!

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad you are taking the trip your husband wanted to take to Alaska. We took our first cruise to Alaska in May, as an experienced cruiser suggested it was the best time. The ports were great.

I think the advice to take a small ship is good. (I didn't think of that when we booked.)

Be sure to take plenty of warm clothes and gloves, especially for time on deck at sea. We barely used our winter coats till we were back in Seattle, but you never know!

When you book, sign up for the Roll Call for your ship and your date, and you will "meet" people before you leave. You will also acquire much needed information about your cruise, your ship, ports, group excursions, and more.

Also sign up for the "Meet and Greet," which usually is on the first sea day. You'll meet more people there and feel more like part of a group. For us this usually has contributed to the richness of our cruise. We've stayed in touch with friends we have made on prior cruises.

I hope you have an enjoyable cruise, the first of more to come.

I have not been on the Zandaam but here are pictures of a very similar ship, Veendam from Dec 2017:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-veendam-on-board/

Here is a link to my 7-day Alaska cruise from 2017 daily activities to give you an idea of what to expect while aboard:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/on-locations-specific-cruises/alaska-2017-noordam-when-where-daily-activities/

Alaska is port intensive with docking in ports usually around 7:00 AM and sailing between ports over night. With early rising each morning, bedtime is early to be up at 5:00 AM for breakfast.

I allocate $300 per port for excursion planning for Alaska but one could get by for much less if you just want to do walking tours around the cities. Getting away from the cities requires rental cars, boats, buses, trains, and float planes which can be expensive.

The first visit to Alaska should be to just see what is available and subsequent trips to see what is important to you.

Thank you to everyone for their information and advice. And, to Crew News - thanks for the pics!

I think I've made my decision - or rather, had it made for me - as there's really only one 14 day trip leaving from Seattle during May! ;) The Zaandam May 21st trip it is! I've contacted my travel agent to start the process.

Again - thanks for everything - I'm excited! I've read the posts on the roll call so far, and once I've booked the trip, will add my name to it.

I'm looking forward to a great adventure! :D

Thank you to everyone for their information and advice. And, to Crew News - thanks for the pics!

I think I've made my decision - or rather, had it made for me - as there's really only one 14 day trip leaving from Seattle during May! ;) The Zaandam May 21st trip it is! I've contacted my travel agent to start the process.

Again - thanks for everything - I'm excited! I've read the posts on the roll call so far, and once I've booked the trip, will add my name to it.

I'm looking forward to a great adventure! :D

You made an excellent choice for your first visit to Alaska. Feel free to post any questions on the roll call and we will be glad to help you with your planning.

In the crazy world of airport delays. I recommend that you come to Seattle the day before to be sure you make the sailing. A taxi ride has far fewer chances for delays than flying.