Princess is now charging a processing fee on Indonesian and Vietnamese visas

I just spotted elsewhere that Princess has started charging a processing fee for the visas required for port stops in Indonesia and Vietnam.

The Indonesian visa has gone up from US $35 to US $60, and increas of $25.

The Vietnamese visa has gone up from US $31 to US $46.

I checked online and the visa-on-arrival fee for Indonesia is still US $35.

Apparently a Princess rep stated that the increase was a processing fee. :eek:

I'm a bit annoyed as we don't even want to go ashore at Bali on our upcoming Golden cruise. US $120 for nothing! Although theoretically I shouldn't pay that fee as I travel on an NZ passport and NZ is on the visa exemption list.

I think we are on the same cruise as you. Not quite happy about any price rise. But we got the cruise for a good price, so this is a small thing.

We do intend to go ashore in Bali. I have not been there. From what folks are saying, one day will be enough to say "I've been to Bali too".

I'm a bit annoyed as we don't even want to go ashore at Bali on our upcoming Golden cruise. US $120 for nothing! Although theoretically I shouldn't pay that fee as I travel on an NZ passport and NZ is on the visa exemption list.

Point this out to Princess. A couple who post on here (Windsor126) who travel on UK passports successfully appealed to Princess and had a visa fee refunded. :)

We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Indonesia, including Bali, at this time due to the high threat of terrorist attack. You should also be aware of the severe penalties for narcotics offences, including the death penalty; some specific health risks; and risks associated with natural disasters.

Pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media for information about possible new safety or security risks. See Safety and security.

The Indonesian Government has recently increased security across Indonesia, which underscores the ongoing high threat of a terrorist attack.

Visitors to Indonesia, particularly to tourist locations such as Bali and Lombok, should be aware of the specific risks from crime, and from drink-spiking and consumption of alcohol adulterated with harmful substances such as methanol. Tourists may also be exposed to scams and credit card/ATM fraud. There has been an increase in reports of violent crime in Bali, including muggings in the Kuta area. Be aware of your surroundings and conscious of your personal security and potential crime risks. See Safety and security.

Petty crime, such as opportunistic theft, is common in Indonesia. Thieves on motorcycles may snatch handbags and backpacks from pedestrians. Tourists may be exposed to scams and confidence tricks in Indonesia. Legal disputes are common regarding the purchase of real estate including land, houses, holiday clubs and time share schemes.

You should exercise normal beach safety behaviour and consider carefully the risks involved in using motorcycles, including licence and insurance issues (See under Local travel for more information).

Visitors should be aware that there is a risk of rabies throughout Indonesia, in particular Bali and Nias. See under Health for more information.

regards

John

I reckon it's about time Princess dropped Indonesia from it's port list. There must be plenty of alternative ports they could choose. Our upcoming cruise only has two Aussie port stops between Sydney and Bali (Brisbane and Darwin). I'd rather stop in Port Douglas and drop the Bali port. At least I can get decent coffee in Port Douglas. :D

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I reckon it's about time Princess dropped Indonesia from it's port list. There must be plenty of alternative ports they could choose. Our upcoming cruise only has two Aussie port stops between Sydney and Bali (Brisbane and Darwin). I'd rather stop in Port Douglas and drop the Bali port. At least I can get decent coffee in Port Douglas. :D

But Bali makes it eligible for duty free.

And that seems to be a bug factor.

Not sure hy, but to mny it's a huge selling point.

But Bali makes it eligible for duty free.

And that seems to be a bug factor.

Not sure hy, but to mny it's a huge selling point.

I'm sure they could find other international ports to qualify for duty free status. After all if they do an east coast cruise all they have to do is do scenic cruising of Willis Island.

and insurance issues (See under Local travel for more information).

Visitors should be aware that there is a risk of rabies throughout Indonesia, in particular Bali and Nias. See under Health for more information.

regards

John

the rabies worries me more all the other things. Thanks for the warning, John.

It is my understanding that as well as qualifying for Duty Free , the call to Bali means that the cruise is an International one thus no Australian GST is payable. If the cruise was just in Au waters the GST would be a lot more than the Visa fee.

It is my understanding that as well as qualifying for Duty Free , the call to Bali means that the cruise is an International one thus no Australian GST is payable. If the cruise was just in Au waters the GST would be a lot more than the Visa fee.

That would be my thoughts too. The GST liability would be worth quite a lot.

We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Indonesia, including Bali, at this time due to the high threat of terrorist attack. You should also be aware of the severe penalties for narcotics offences, including the death penalty; some specific health risks; and risks associated with natural disasters.

Pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media for information about possible new safety or security risks. See Safety and security.

The Indonesian Government has recently increased security across Indonesia, which underscores the ongoing high threat of a terrorist attack.

Visitors to Indonesia, particularly to tourist locations such as Bali and Lombok, should be aware of the specific risks from crime, and from drink-spiking and consumption of alcohol adulterated with harmful substances such as methanol. Tourists may also be exposed to scams and credit card/ATM fraud. There has been an increase in reports of violent crime in Bali, including muggings in the Kuta area. Be aware of your surroundings and conscious of your personal security and potential crime risks. See Safety and security.

Petty crime, such as opportunistic theft, is common in Indonesia. Thieves on motorcycles may snatch handbags and backpacks from pedestrians. Tourists may be exposed to scams and confidence tricks in Indonesia. Legal disputes are common regarding the purchase of real estate including land, houses, holiday clubs and time share schemes.

You should exercise normal beach safety behaviour and consider carefully the risks involved in using motorcycles, including licence and insurance issues (See under Local travel for more information).

regards

John

The above warning is the standard warning issued by the Australian Govt and hasn't changed for some time. Corruption is rife in Indonesia but the Indonesian people are lovely and very friendly. If one uses common sense then one should have no issues. Stay in the tourist areas and avoid back streets and places not normally frequented by tourists. You will have one day ashore make the most of it.

The above warning is the standard warning issued by the Australian Govt and hasn't changed for some time. Corruption is rife in Indonesia but the Indonesian people are lovely and very friendly. If one uses common sense then one should have no issues. Stay in the tourist areas and avoid back streets and places not normally frequented by tourists. You will have one day ashore make the most of it.

hi Mike

Hmm but Gladys and Julie in New Zealand are wonderful people :D

I know where I would prefer to spend my Holiday dollars....

I am glad to see that PNG is getting a few port calls now a good alternative in my view

Frankly having been to Indonesia I have no wish to ever return ...

But of course each to his own ...

Regards

John

We were charged $47.11 AUD each for our Bali visas on our Diamond cruise in October. I queried the charge at the desk to be told the Visas were charged by the authorities at $35USD.

Yes, it cost us around the same in August when our Top End cruise went to Lombok. However I checked the Princess documentation for our upcoming cruise in April and the visa fee has gone up to US $60 although it still shows as US $35 on an Indonesian tourist website that was last updated late December.

There is a possibility that Australia will be included in the visa waver group of countries (New Zealand already is) but it hasn't happened yet.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Yes, it cost us around the same in August when our Top End cruise went to Lombok. However I checked the Princess documentation for our upcoming cruise in April and the visa fee has gone up to US $60 although it still shows as US $35 on an Indonesian tourist website that was last updated late December.

There is a possibility that Australia will be included in the visa waver group of countries (New Zealand already is) but it hasn't happened yet.

Hi Folks

Did not Celebrity pull a number of Bali stops due to extra demands for cash payments to port Officials

regards

John

I am not convinced that they only go to Bali for the duty free, PNG would be a better option as I have no desire to go to Bali in any case.

Supported Mic, one trip to Bali was enough for me and Port Benoa is a hole. Bali would have been paradise 50 years ago before the hordes of yobbos invaded it. I just hope PNG does not end up the same way.

Edited by NSWP

I am not convinced that they only go to Bali for the duty free, PNG would be a better option as I have no desire to go to Bali in any case.

I notice that more are going to PNG.

Just not sure they're in a place to take large numbers just yet.

My understanding is that NZ is not on the Visa waiver list. We were in Bali last year and were charged $US35. Australia has had two goes in the last year at being Visa free but I think with heightened tensions still brewing around the "boats and refugees" tensions may continue for some time. For Princess to charge $US60 for a $US35 visa is nothing short of a rort of the highest order especially as they insist everyone has a visa whether or not they go ashore.

Edited by Beanb41