Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas Small Ocean View

snchpnz

So I have two options. One is on deck 4 all the way forward with a small porthole window while the other is on deck 7 right by the Atrium with an obstructed view window. There's a lifeboat outside blocking the view. They both have their plus and minuses so I can't make up my mind.

What I don't like about Deck 4 is that it's all the way at the bottom removed from everything and possibly near crew areas where they could be coming and going at early/late hours. We are under the theater so I don't know. Plus the porthole window looks super tiny. The plus side is that at least there will be a view even if it's just of the waves and it's also away from loud crowds of people so the noise might actually be less.

Then there's the room on Deck 7 which is by the atrium where they have nightly parties that last until midnight. I'm a bit worried about the noise from the music and of people coming and going but it might not be that big of an issue since we don't go to bed early anyway. There's also the obstructed view issue. I looked at some pictures of the ship and I saw other obstructed view cabins where the only thing you can see out the window is the lifeboat. It covers everything. Pics of the outside of the ship show that for the room I'm looking at you can at least see some of the window from behind the lifeboat. I'm hoping that means the view isn't completely blocked and there will be a little bit of ocean or sky to look at. The pluses of deck 7 is the location near the center of everything. I have an outdoor deck area just down the hall and I'm also next to what seems to be a small sitting area in the atrium so if I start to feel cramped inside the room I can always just go sit outside for a while.

So what do you guys think is the better choice between these rooms?

So I have two options. One is on deck 4 all the way forward with a small porthole window while the other is on deck 7 right by the Atrium with an obstructed view window. There's a lifeboat outside blocking the view. They both have their plus and minuses so I can't make up my mind.

You should not get the noise from the atrium. THe cabins are walled out and NOT opened to the atrium. You will need to get to the elevator banks to "hear" that noise.

What I don't like about Deck 4 is that it's all the way at the bottom removed from everything and possibly near crew areas where they could be coming and going at early/late hours. We are under the theater so I don't know. Plus the porthole window looks super tiny. The plus side is that at least there will be a view even if it's just of the waves and it's also away from loud crowds of people so the noise might actually be less.

I would NEVER take a cabin under the show lounge. Dancers practice late at night.

Then there's the room on Deck 7 which is by the atrium where they have nightly parties that last until midnight. I'm a bit worried about the noise from the music and of people coming and going but it might not be that big of an issue since we don't go to bed early anyway. There's also the obstructed view issue. I looked at some pictures of the ship and I saw other obstructed view cabins where the only thing you can see out the window is the lifeboat. It covers everything. Pics of the outside of the ship show that for the room I'm looking at you can at least see some of the window from behind the lifeboat. I'm hoping that means the view isn't completely blocked and there will be a little bit of ocean or sky to look at. The pluses of deck 7 is the location near the center of everything. I have an outdoor deck area just down the hall and I'm also next to what seems to be a small sitting area in the atrium so if I start to feel cramped inside the room I can always just go sit outside for a while.

So what do you guys think is the better choice between these rooms?

answers above

but my question is about the window- port hole-- really how much time will you be looking out that window.? thats a minor thing.

second-- why are they your only two choices? have you called to see what else is available? U will never ever see all available cabins opened to the public online

Both windows and portholes are really designed to let in light...not so much for "viewing"...

Generally, you have to be ON the bed to see out of the windows!

RCI does a great job of keeping public areas separate from cabin hallways. I don't think the deck 7 room would be any noisier than anywhere else on the ship!

Thank you so much for the advice. The cabins are 7532 and 4000. Those two are the only ones available since there are only six "small ocean view" cabins total on the ship. Two each on decks 4, 7 and 8. I called to see if maybe the cabins on deck 8 were available and just not showing up online but they weren't available. I'll keep checking to see if maybe someone cancels before final payment or if they decide to upgrade. The ones on deck 8 are the only cabins in that category that have a normal "window". I should have just booked a normal ocean view cabin and paid the small price difference at the time. Oh well, lesson learned. I guess I'll be sticking to the one on deck 7 for now.

• 1 year later...

Hello.

Kindly, did you end up taking this cruise? May I please know which cabin did you pick and your impressions of it?

We are under the exact same situation.

Thanks