[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:02 PM.
League City, TX
41,585 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by keepupweb
That's the simplest explanation I've read yet on tipping. Thank you so much. I can see how that works well in your cabin. How do you tip waiters and bartenders? Do you leave envelopes on the table/bar?
Bar staff are tipped with a 15% gratuity added to every purchase. If you want to tip more, just hand them cash when you are served.

The waitstaff (buffet, dining rooms, specialty restaurants, room service, food counters on the pool deck, etc.) are included in the automatic daily gratuity. You can always tip extra if you wish. Only the extra $$$ given to the dining room staff need to be put in an envelope with your cabin number on it. Just hand the envelope to the staff you want to give the extra to.

By the way, if you use spa services, there is a 15% gratuity automatically added.
Illinois
86 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
What about tipping excursion guides. When I go on tours in various cities I usually give around $10 and if they are really good I’ll hand over a $20. My first cruise is to Alaska and I found these excursions to be a bit pricey. In one port on a single excursion we’ll be on two boats and then eat at a lodge.... all of which I assume to be at least three different people. Getting a bit pricy tip wise. Would like to hear views / experiences of others on this.

BTW, thanks to the OP for kicking off this string all all that have added in their advice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
13,116 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
The automatic spa gratuity on ships that use Steiner to run their spa services is 18% (not 15). There is an automatic 15% on bar items, alcoholic or not.

As to tipping tour guides, that's totally at "your discretion." It isn't really expected. As to whether you'll have different guides or one guide who will stay with you, that depends on the excursion. But on boats, you'll have multiple personnel on the boat, whether serving as a tour guide or otherwise. You've also paid a lot of money for these excursions and these personnel are being properly paid. On a boat, are you going to tip the captain, the assistant, and the tour guide? And yes, they will put out a tip jar!

I guess I'm cheap, but unless someone is way beyond expectations, I don't tip the guides.

I understand that in the US, restaurant servers are permitted to be paid way below minimum wage and depend on tips for their livelihood. Unfortunately, the idea of tipping has spread to all sorts of positions. In Europe and Asia, tour guides are college educated, must pass exams on the areas where they are leading excursions, and are paid accordingly. I don't know about US guides. But the dude who drives the boat, bus, or whatever is not an underpaid worker.
League City, TX
41,585 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by moki'smommy
You've also paid a lot of money for these excursions and these personnel are being properly paid. On a boat, are you going to tip the captain, the assistant, and the tour guide? And yes, they will put out a tip jar!
In some tender ports local boats do the tendering. Sometimes they even have a tip jar for the tendering and also make an announcement encouraging you to tip.