What is wrong with me? How do others do it?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:07 PM.
Rockville, MD
258 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
I dont even try... Part of fun with cruising is that they dont limit your luggage, we fly SW, so 2 bags each plus carry on. No w next year when we are Elite, I might rethink this just to take advantage of free laundry.
San Francisco Bay Area
7,811 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
I got used to packing extremely light for trips to Vegas .... which I now can do in a large purse for a 3 day trip. I rely heavily on packing cubes to squish stuff down and keep it organized.
So, I've eventually gotten down to a carry on and large purse, my DH has a carry on and a small backpack for any cruises that are 9 days or less. We just got tired of repacking clothing that hadn't even been worn or worn just once for a short period of time. And, we don't tend to buy a lot of souvenirs anymore so don't need extra room for that. If we sail out of our home port and don't have the beverage package, we may also take a compact folding samsonite luggage cart with wheels to carry on our own bottles of wine onboard and it is always readily available for the corkage table that way. Of course, we never have wine left over at the end of the cruise so we just place that folding set of wheels into the front pocket of our carry on when disembarking. Even if we would have an unopened bottle or two at the end of the cruise, we will give it to one of our favorite waiters or room steward while asking them first if they even drink alcohol. After many cruises, we've got it down now!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise Raider
Vancouver, BC, Canada
293 Posts
Joined May 2003
I’ve converted 5 people. It takes a bit getting used to, but once you figured it out, you’ll never check bags again! BTW...I too used to travel with the largest suitcase available and large backpack. Lol! Keep trying!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jarett

Dolphin Seabreeze May 91, RCCL Sun Viking Sept 91, Carnival Ecstasy July 93,
Carnival Jubilee Oct 95, RCCL Majesty of the Seas Nov 97, Carnival Paradise Dec 98, RCCL Voyager of the Seas Nov 00, RCCL Adventure of the Seas B2B Sept 02, RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Part 2 Oct 02, Celebrity Infinity June 03, Carnival Elation Oct 03, NCL Sun May 04, Carnival Conquest Oct 04, NCL Star Feb 05, NCL Majesty Sept 05, RCCL Freedom of the Seas Oct 06, RCCL Jewel of the Seas Oct 06, Carnival Paradise Feb 07, Carnival Valor Oct 07, RCCL Radiance of the Seas Nov 07, Coral Princess May 08, RCCL Independence of the Seas Feb 09, Saphire Princess Sept 09, RCCL Mariner of the Seas Jan 10, NCL Star Mar 10, Windsurf Jan 11, Carnival Splendor Mar 11, Island Princess Sept 11, HAL Eurodam Nov 11, RCCL Allure of the Seas March 12, NCL Epic Mar 13, Celebrity Silhouette June 13, Celebrity Silhouette Mar 14, NCL Breakaway May 14, Ruby Princess Mar 15, Ruby Princess April 15, NCL Getaway Nov 15.
Sydney, Australia
69 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
It's definitely horses for courses.

When we take long family holidays we tend to come home with quite a bit of luggage. the last two trips, we've had 8 large suitcases plus 4 carry ons and a stroller for 2 adults, 2 kids.

But that's because we tend to travel for 5-6 weeks and do lots of shopping. In fact if you were to REMOVE shopping, all of our clothes, toiletries and essentials for the four of us would fit easily in just ONE of those suitcases.

For the first time in about 17 years, we will be sailing out of our home port, Sydney, in December. That means we can just take the train to the cruise terminal with the kids and our luggage. I don't think we'll do much shopping on a 13 night New Zealand cruise so I suspect we will end up with 2 large suitcases and 4 carry on bags. We're not really "dressy" people so each of us is happy to travel with 5-6 shirts, a couple of pants/skirt each and 2 pairs of shoes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Central NJ
429 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by NeurosurgeryNP
We don't even try. We bring one big suitcase each. One carry on each. And usually one extra big suitcase half empty on the way and full on the way home.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app
Same here!

Howard
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Home Lines Oceanic Bahamas 1971
Royal Caribbean RCL 1973
Bermuda Norwegian Cruise line 1975
Bermuda Norwegian Cruise line 1984
Caribbean RCL 1991
Caribbean RCL 1991
Hawaii Norwegian Cruise line 2000
Alaska Dawn Princess 2001
Moscow to St. Petersburg River cruise 2004
4 night Yangtze River cruise 2008
Caribbean Princess 2012
Panama Canal Caribbean Coral Princess 2013
Mexico Caribbean Princess 2014
Caribbean Princess 23 day Norway, Iceland, Canada, UK, USA Aug/Sept 2015
Future Cruises
Caribbean Princess Western Caribbean 6 Days Dec 11,2016
Regal Princess 10 day NY, Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale,Fl Oct 2017
Houston
133 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
I use packing cubes (not a cube shape, but rectangular with mesh on top and zipper on side) I got a Target for under $30. There are 3 sizes,(:Large, Medium and small) one for my tops, one for pants and one for undiesl. I rolled everything, and got all of my tops for a 15 day cruise in the Large. Takes up much smaller space.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sapphire Princess 7/25/09
Regal Princess 06/09/14
Emerald Princess 03/08/15

Disney Wonder 12/27/13

Coral Princess 01/06/16
Viking Emerald June13, 2017 China
Coral Princess 01/05/18 Panama Canal
Chelsea MA
5,175 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Originally posted by OCruisers
We don't even try to ....
Hi LuLu,
My wife loves your answer . She tells me we spend $5,000 or more on a Cruise. So why not spend $100. more to take another suitcase. I have no answer..
The Captain of The Rowboat,
Tony
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
6 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by Nonnie1975
I use packing cubes (not a cube shape, but rectangular with mesh on top and zipper on side) I got a Target for under $30. There are 3 sizes,(:Large, Medium and small) one for my tops, one for pants and one for undiesl. I rolled everything, and got all of my tops for a 15 day cruise in the Large. Takes up much smaller space.
I am a recent convert to packing cubes as well! I am a chronic over-packer. Can't even do an overnight to Orlando with only one suitcase I bought cubes for the whole family (each person gets their own color) and I was able to fit all of our things into three carry-on sized suitcases rather than the two carry-on size, two larger sized and misc bags we usually take. We are a family of four and I fall into the "you need an outfit for each day" camp, ie: seven bottoms/tops for a seven day cruise, seven evening outfits, two-three pairs of shoes, many bathing suits etc. As you said, I rolled all of the clothes and put them in the cubes by need (evening in one, shorts/tees in another, etc.) The only thing not in a cube is the hubby's suit and suit shirts and one of my dresses that I think will be super wrinkled.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Monarch of the Seas - W Caribbean 2002
Carnival Legend - S Caribbean 2006
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska 2012
Norwegian Getaway - E Caribbean 2013
Carnival Splendor - W Caribbean 2017
Regal Princess - W Caribbean 2018
Allure of the Seas - 2018
nemo, texas
1,454 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by guesablue
I am a recent convert to packing cubes as well! I am a chronic over-packer. Can't even do an overnight to Orlando with only one suitcase I bought cubes for the whole family (each person gets their own color) and I was able to fit all of our things into three carry-on sized suitcases rather than the two carry-on size, two larger sized and misc bags we usually take. We are a family of four and I fall into the "you need an outfit for each day" camp, ie: seven bottoms/tops for a seven day cruise, seven evening outfits, two-three pairs of shoes, many bathing suits etc. As you said, I rolled all of the clothes and put them in the cubes by need (evening in one, shorts/tees in another, etc.) The only thing not in a cube is the hubby's suit and suit shirts and one of my dresses that I think will be super wrinkled.
Just curious. On a 25 day cruise do you/would you take 25 day outfits & 25 evening outfits?
Arizona
1,326 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Enjoyed reading everyone's comments from carry on to 4-6 large suitcases. Too funny!

I am currently going through the filtering process of items / clothing for our upcoming cruise. I am trying really hard to keep the amount of luggage down (thank you Southwest).

Hubby says, how many luggage bags can we check in with Southwest for free??
I'm thinking about the lugging it part...ahemm. We usually use 1 large, 1 medium, 2 carryon's (medicine, cameras, electronics & emergency clothing in case our suitcases don't meet up with us.) Not sure I am going to get by with what we usually do but going to try.

But like life itself, each one of us are different in our views of what we want/need. Bottom line, enjoy your cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Teresa
Upcoming:

Completed:
Disney Wonder - Bahamas - October 2008 - 5 days
Golden Princess - Hawaii - April 2013 - 14 days
Ruby Princess - Caribbean - November 2014 - 7 days
Golden Princess - Alaska-August 2015 - 10 days
Crown Princess - Hawaii - October 2016 - 15 days

Ruby Princess - Mexican Rivera-October 2017 - 7 days
Island Princess-Panama canal- April 2018 - 19 days
Palm Springs, Calif
42,308 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
This past August, we flew to Copenhagen for 2 1/2 days then a 15 TA. We each had a 20 & 22 " suitcase to carry all our clothes even some heavy jackets for Iceland & husbands suit coats ( 2 ) I have learned to pack for 7 days up to 2 weeks. I packs 5/6 slacks, mix & match blouses to go with each and alternate my evening attire then repeat the following week. I pack 2 maybe 3 pairs of evening shoes to match with my evening wear. Day clothes depending on climate. Next March the daughter & I will take the 15 day Hawaiian out of San Pedro and plan to take no more then my 22 " I also use the packing cubes.

Lay out the slacks you wish to take and match with your blouses. I factor in the formal nights. Over a two week cruise I might wear 1 or two slacks for evening or a skirt 3 X's by alternating. Sometimes I will use a calendar to mark each day a color slack will be warn so can get by with black slacks for formal nights ( 3 ) rest casual. It doesn't matter which night I wear a particular attire but helps me figure how many to bring. finally I will pack my main clothes in the carry on so if the checked back goes astray I have my clothes for the trip.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email: GLea472968 at aol dot com
Alternate : Lea dot [email protected] dot between the Lea&gaye

Emerald Roll Call https://1drv.ms/x/s!AvfqBeEKG865gS-4hT-Oz90AfTzr
& Allure Roll Call Sheets
Houston
133 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Cool Cruizer, Heck no! Went on a 15 day cruise, took 1 black and brown pair of pants and 5 tops to go with each. Wore an outfit more than once, it my table mates didn't like it, Oh well, too bad, so sad. This was for the evening. Same thing for the day took several pairs of shorts and 5 tops, but we did wash half way through the trip because it was a Panama Canal cruise and it was hot. We washed on a sea day, it was easy. Took Tide Pods and dryer sheets. Used the packing cubes and it all fit., just roll real tight. Good luck on getting your clothes down, makes the luggage much lighter an d more room for gifts.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sapphire Princess 7/25/09
Regal Princess 06/09/14
Emerald Princess 03/08/15

Disney Wonder 12/27/13

Coral Princess 01/06/16
Viking Emerald June13, 2017 China
Coral Princess 01/05/18 Panama Canal
Riverside, CA
2,851 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by MCC retired

I need a carry on just for all my wine and soda!!!
Skip that
I thought for sure I could eliminate one suitcase for our upcoming 5day cruise, but no!
I mean you need at least black flats for dinner, flip flops for pool, sandals with straps for beach walking.Eliminate Flip/Flops use just Sandals
Windbreaker and sweaters for those chilly nights and mornings on deck.Windbreaker or sweater , not both
Two swimsuits so one can dry. One is sufficient air dry on Balcony
Skip that - No Way! there are important things in life.
Eliminate Flip/Flops use just Sandals - Ooh, just saved 4 ounces.
Windbreaker or sweater , not both - I'll give you this one, but style wise there is a difference.
One is sufficient air dry on Balcony - Now that is a NO NO!!!

For me it is a weight problem, a few shirts, dockers, Levis, toiletries, socks and the dreaded underwear and I am at 50 pounds. If I bring my tux, I have to put some of the clothes in the carry on. Then again, I am 6'8" and my clothes are BIG. I would travel with a female manager for meetings. She would pack a carry on for 3 days of meetings and I had a 50# suitcase.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
EMAIL me if you dare (I don't bite) In Google Chrome, if the email link does not take you to your email page, just right click the link, select copy email. In Explorer select Properties and copy the address.

Future:
Ruby Princess Alaska June 2018
Coral Princess Pacific Rim Sept to Nov 2018
Royal Princess Mexican Riviera April B2B with Royal Princess Coastal Wine Cruise May 2019
Princess Only:
Crown Princess Coastal 2016; Star Princess 2016 South America; Caribbean Princess 2015 Canada/New England; Crown Princess 2015 West Coast Getaways; Ruby Princess 2014 Canada/New England; Crown Princess 2014 Coastal; Golden Princess 2013 Coastal; Royal Princess 2013 Inaugural Grand Med; Sapphire Princess 2012 Mexico; Crown Princess 2010 Iceland/Norway; Golden Princess 2009 Coastal; Star Princess 2009 Sydney to LA; Star Princess 2009 Alaska; Sapphire Princess 2009 Coastal; Island Princess 2008 Panama Canal; Golden Princess 2008 Mexico; Golden Princess 2007 Mexico; Regal Princess 2007 (Last Sailing) Hawaii ; Island Princess 2005 Hawaii; Star Princess 2003 Mexico; Princess 2000 Canada/New England; Star Princess 1995 Caribbean; Princess 1995 Europe; Royal Princess 1994 Caribbean; Star Princess 1993 Alaska;
Others:
Northern Europe Fr, Ir, UK, Nor, Den, Bel; Pacific Coastal (3); Bermuda; Mexico (2); Alaska
St. Augustine, FL
8,115 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by PekingeseLady
Seriously, no matter what I do DH and I need a large suitcase each, and a garment bag for his dinner coat and shirts. How do some of you get away with a backpack and carry on? I need a carry on just for all my wine and soda!!! I thought for sure I could eliminate one suitcase for our upcoming 5day cruise, but no! I mean you need at least black flats for dinner, flip flops for pool, sandals with straps for beach walking. Windbreaker and sweaters for those chilly nights and mornings on deck. Two swimsuits so one can dry. Seriously how do you folks do it, carry on your one small bag only? Or one large bag for that matter Help me, please!!!
I'm a chronic over-packer so I can identify...but 4 large suitcases for 5 days?? LOL!

One solution that pops out at me: pack your shoes inside your hubby's shoes. One windbreaker or sweater in a neutral color to match most of your clothes. Soda can be stacked on your carry-on bag or better yet, slap a luggage tag on it and check with your luggage.
I'm with you on two swimsuits...especially if you don't have a balcony to hang it on.

I can't help wonder how on earth people do it with just a backpack for a week? They sure wouldn't be the folks that you comment on how nice they look? The would probably be wrinkled? Just my silly prejudice, I guess.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Susan and Chuck
Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away!

CARNIVAL, CUNARD, ROYAL CARIBBEAN, CELEBRITY, PRINCESS, MSC
St. Augustine, FL
8,115 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by Goldenpaw
We always plan to pack lighter, but... I once paid $11 for 16 Benadryl tablets on board when I had an allergic reaction and broke out in hives, our travel kit now has Benadryl in it. Couldn’t rule out the shower soap or shampoo provided as the culprit. Now we bring our own. Also pain relievers, Rx meds, etc. We bring less socks & undies, but bring detergent and use the laundry facilities on sea days. Also only a few pair of shorts and slacks each and mix & match tops. We like to dress nice for the MDR and dress up for formal nights. We did 20 days on the Royal in Dec 2016 with 2 large, 1 small and a rolling garment bag, plus a carry on with meds, electronics, charging station. Also bring a small USB powered fan for some air circulation at night. No plugging in so it works on the night stand. I’ll suffer through getting the luggage there and back before I’ll leave something behind that I want or need!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
I'm with you!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Susan and Chuck
Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away!

St. Augustine, FL
8,115 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by honeyb2
In the 22 years my honey and I have been cruising, we have learned a lot about packing. I take a LOT less than I did back when we started. That being said I have different packing lists for different lengths of cruises and different climates. We like to do walk-off at the end of the cruise so that is a factor.

Now we usually take 2 26" rolling suitcases, 2 carry-ons and a backpack each. Our longest cruise was 32 days and we have free laundry but I won't send everything out (some ruined clothes). We will do some laundry ourselves. We like to wear clean clothes everyday and have a little variety. We will wear some things a second time like pants and shorts. We don't get real dressed up for dinner anymore but we do dress nicely for the dining room.

I like to walk down the hall the night before the ship docks and see people with 4 or 5 bags waiting to be picked up. Good for them! I always say why does it matter to you how much I take as long as I don't ask you to carry my bags!
I totally and completely agree with you!! Sometimes, if it's a longer cruise we will take 3 26" rolling suitcases, my computer/carry-on bag and DH brings a small rolling bag with his toiletries and mine and clothes for the next day if we are staying in a hotel pre-cruise. We use the same small rolling bag for the last night on the cruise after they take our big luggage away. DH also has his CPAP bag that sits on the small roller.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Susan and Chuck

St. Augustine, FL
8,115 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Bottom line, folks! Do what works for you and hopefully your DH or DW traveling with you is on the same page so there aren't too many conflicts.

It's vacation...don't worry about it and have fun!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Susan and Chuck

Southern California
933 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
We started packing tonight for our 14 night, we don’t even pretend to pack light two 30” suitcases 65lbs each and 2 garment bags. We like having options
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1996 Disney Magic 3 day Bahamas
1992 RCCL Monarch 7 daySouthern Caribbean
1993 Celeb Zenith 7 day Western Caribbean
2004 Princess Sun 10 dayEastern Caribbean
2005 Princess Dawn 10 dayWestern Caribbean
2007 Princess Diamond 7 dayMexico
2008 Princess Diamond 15 dayHawaii
2009 Princess Emerald 10 day Eastern Caribbean
2010 RCCL Radiance 10 day Mexico
2011 Princess Star 10 day Eastern Caribbean
2012 Princess Emerald 10 day Caribbean
2015 Princess Island 12 day Mediterranean
2016 Carnival Vista. 10 day Mediterranean
Las Vegas
11,848 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
There is a trick that I use for washing my clothes or at least my underclothes. My wife thinks that I am crazy but it works. I get into the shower with my dirty clothes on. I then soap up my clothes and rinse the soap off in the shower. Then I take off my clothes and do the real shower, You will find that considering the small size of the sink in your cabin and the fact that washing your clothes in the sink makes a mess in the bathroom, my way works better.

DON
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,606 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by TheRabbit
One is sufficient air dry on Balcony - Now that is a NO NO!!!

It's the quickest way to dry a wet bathing suit.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90