Bottled water on QM2?

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:56 AM.
Vale of Glamorgan
4,291 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
I'm not sure which lines you normally sail on but as far as I know bottled water isn't normally provided free of charge unless you are on an all inclusive ship.
Ice and water glasses are provided and the water from the tap is drinkable for most people.
We usually buy the bottled water for the cabin and have ship's water with meals.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

If contacting me via email, please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Leicestershire, UK
1,294 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Saga, Oceania and Azamara all provide bottled water for free. They also have small bottles at the gangway to take ashore.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Glenndale
Riding the Oceans Waves
1,390 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Thank you Hattie.
Originally posted by abefroman329
I was thinking of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, sorry.
For Red Hook I would imagine Fairway Market store about 15min walk from The Red Hook Cruise terminal at Red Hook
480-500 Van Brunt Street
Brooklyn, NY 11231,
Chicago
300 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by Bell Boy
I think we are all confused here. Like you I assumed the OP is boarding in the USA ? .... if so, there is a huge supermarket a few blocks away from the Brooklyn cruise berth , often used by the ships crew and guests in transit.
Oh really? What's the name and/or location? I've looked on Google Maps and it did not look like there was anything like that nearby.
Riding the Oceans Waves
1,390 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by abefroman329
Oh really? What's the name and/or location? I've looked on Google Maps and it did not look like there was anything like that nearby.
see #23
Fairway Market
Address
480-500 Van Brunt Street
Brooklyn, NY 11231, United States
Store Hours
Today: 7:00am to 10:00pm
Monday 7:00am - 10:00pm
Tuesday 7:00am - 10:00pm
Wednesday 7:00am - 10:00pm
Thursday 7:00am - 10:00pm
Friday 7:00am - 10:00pm
Saturday 7:00am - 10:00pm
Sunday 7:00am - 10:00pm
Red Hook Patio Grill (Weekends) 8:00am - 8:00pm

Phone Number
(718) 254-0923
139 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by Glenndale
Saga, Oceania and Azamara all provide bottled water for free. They also have small bottles at the gangway to take ashore.

It's sounds like these lines try hard to listen and look after their guest's needs. Others should learn from them.
139 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by scdreamer
Yes, boarding in Southampton. We are coming down from London in private hired car. I may just bring along a few large bottles of water.

I am more than a little surprised that there is a charge for bottled water; we are just returning from another cruiseline, and bottled water was provided in the staterooms, as well as at meals, for no charge. And we have experienced the same on other lines, as well.

Are we supposed to drink water from our bathroom fixtures while in our cabin? That's not so wonderful. Will they charge us for the use of drinking glasses?

Seriously, good drinking water is kind of a basic provision, wouldn't you think? This will be our first cruise with Cunard, already a bit apprehensive.

It can only get better SCD
Overlooking the Straights of Dover
242 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by SonofTertius
It's sounds like these lines try hard to listen and look after their guest's needs. Others should learn from them.
That's the wrong conclusion. From my experience of Saga they charge a lot more up front so that they can hand out goodies for 'free', e.g. water, limo travel, alternative dining etc etc. You even get Werther's Originals distributed like sweeties on excursions.

Not that I'm complaining, as by the time you're on board you've forgotten what a premium you paid over the mass market lines and feel quite cosseted.
Vale of Glamorgan
4,291 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by SonofTertius
No, they just have higher fares (for standard cabins).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

If contacting me via email, please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
At Sea
5,409 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by pepperrn
Have you let Cunard know about your sensitivity to salt? I am thinking about your restaurant; they work wonders for those with allergies. I presume that you have to be very careful if you visit the Kings Court (buffet)? Best wishes,
As there can be salt used in cooking, and given you don't like the taste of salt, I was concerned for your dining experience. I can't amend my earlier post, my apologies for taking the thread "off topic" for a short while previously.

Have a wonderful crossing, with lovely memories when you return home from your Cunard voyage

Yours,
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over Four Million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2.
Chicago
300 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by Pennbank
see #23
Fairway Market
Address
480-500 Van Brunt Street
Brooklyn, NY 11231, United States
Store Hours
Today: 7:00am to 10:00pm
Monday 7:00am - 10:00pm
Tuesday 7:00am - 10:00pm
Wednesday 7:00am - 10:00pm
Thursday 7:00am - 10:00pm
Friday 7:00am - 10:00pm
Saturday 7:00am - 10:00pm
Sunday 7:00am - 10:00pm
Red Hook Patio Grill (Weekends) 8:00am - 8:00pm

Phone Number
(718) 254-0923
Thanks, did not look in that direction. Will definitely make a trip over there if time permits.
Pennsylvania
6,276 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
We generally drink the tap water (with ice, we're American ) at dinner. It has no off taste. I could see the benefit of a bottle of sparkling water (without ice).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 8 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
ms Eurodam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
At Sea
5,409 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Underwatr
We generally drink the tap water (with ice, we're American ) at dinner. ...
And me, Underwatr, and I'm British .
Originally posted by Underwatr
... It has no off taste.
Never tasted salt in the jugs of water (and ice) yet (after many voyages on four Cunard vessels).

Yours,
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over Four Million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2.
Santa Cruz, CA
803 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Thank you to all who have responded.

It's not an "off taste," but rather the fact that the tap water onboard ships is treated by desalination, and retains a certain level of salt. While not detected by taste, if one drinks a lot of water ( which I tend to do), there is a noticeable consumption of sodium. For me, it causes a bit of edema.

Perhaps you are correct that the lines that provide complimentary bottled water often do charge a bit more per stateroom, but in this case, Cunard fare is fairly close.

I would not expect free shore excursions or alcoholic beverages or even Internet (which is increasingly being offered as a basic part of many a cruise), but bottled water? That just seems so basic, hard to imagine having to buy it onboard. Especially a line such as Cunard, which presents itself as an above "average" experience.

We will board QM later this week with high hopes, yet a bit of trepidation. And probably a heavy bag filled with bottled water!
Lancashire. UK
310 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Totally agree with your facts about the water. I don't normally suffer from swollen ankles and was puzzled as to why it happened on board ship. I started a thread before my last long cruise and as an experiment only drank bottled water.
Problem solved!... I bought the 6 bottle offer and bought a bottle or 2 back if possible when I was in port.
Small price to pay in my opinion...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
berkshire
1,274 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Cassandra14
Totally agree with your facts about the water. I don't normally suffer from swollen ankles and was puzzled as to why it happened on board ship. I started a thread before my last long cruise and as an experiment only drank bottled water.
Problem solved!... I bought the 6 bottle offer and bought a bottle or 2 back if possible when I was in port.
Small price to pay in my opinion...

Does drinking (the ships) hot beverages 'tea/coffee' have any adverse effect to your ankles.
Lancashier
315 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by Ben_83
Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware It was free in Britannia club. It doesn't seem to feature in any of the info re Britannia Club.

As you mentioned they do offer 6 bottles for $20 in Britannia Staterooms which isn't too bad.

Hi Ben, I am also from Lancashire, but I think $20. (over £15.00) is very, expensive, you may also have 15% service charge added on?
Lancashire, UK
55 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Originally posted by luckymal
Hi Ben, I am also from Lancashire, but I think $20. (over £15.00) is very, expensive, you may also have 15% service charge added on?
Hi,

I am not trying to claim $23 for 6 bottles of water (around £2.95 a bottle) is cheap and you can certainly get it far cheaper at a supermarket. However I don't really consider that to be a like for like comparison. If you compare it to bottled water in a hotel room I would expect to pay at least that much, hence I said I didn't think it was too bad.

Certainly you can make a saving by taking water with you but I believe the op stated he drinks 4 litres a day and is on a 6 day cruise. This would mean taking 24 litres/kg of water with him. I am in no way trying to be snobbish, i am all for saving money - it is hard earned and you only get to spend it once. I just personally don't think the effort involved of lugging a case with 24kg of water is worth it for a saving of £40. I don't travel lightly and have enough to worry about with all my other bags. It is a decision for the individual.

Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy your cruise
Lancashire. UK
310 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by Bell Boy
Does drinking (the ships) hot beverages 'tea/coffee' have any adverse effect to your ankles.
I still have the ships hot drinks so obviously drinking some ships water but try to limit it by drinking bottled water where possible and sticking to wine at dinner....it has definitely helped.