Bottled water on QM2?


Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:04 AM.
#41
Santa Cruz, CA
804 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
I concur with Casandra. The ship's tap water (not just Cunard, it is any ship) has significant residual saline in it. For me, and many others, it causes edema, which presents as swollen ankles. The one cup of coffee I have per day is not the issue. It is the fact that I do drink a lot of water throughout the day, so the effect of the ship's water is much more severe than a single cup of coffee would produce.

The differences between a hotel and a transatlantic crossing are obvious. I guess I don't travel much on budget cruiselines, as the issue of paying for bottled water has not been one I have dealt with. I was under the apparently misinformed impression that Cunard offered an upscale cruising experience.

Yes, I will likely just suck it up and pay the exorbitant fee for decent drinking water - a basic human requirement - while onboard the QM2, but I won't be happy about it.
#42
England
228 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
The taste of all the ship's tap water just doesn't agree with us. We also see lots of crew bringing their own bottled water on board on stops. That leaves us with factoring in the price of bottled water when we book fairly long cruises. 2 bottles a day in cabin and 1 in the restaurant adds up to 70 odd bottles over our 24 day up coming cruise. At least Cunard do a special offer on 6 bottles but that's still $240 dollars or £180 pounds over the cruise. Ho hum, but we would rather that than hump litres off bottled water on board and of course Cunard have to ship and store the stuff on board.
#43
Overlooking the Straights of Dover
275 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by robbie_3
The taste of all the ship's tap water just doesn't agree with us... That leaves us with factoring in the price of bottled water when we book fairly long cruises.
An activated charcoal filter jug or bottle such as the ones Brita make would probably solve the taste problem and pay for itself several times over. I've seen a number of reports on CC of people finding that simply chilling ship's water, preferably overnight in the fridge, removes or masks any taste. No good for the OP of course, but it's got to be worth a try.
#45
Vale of Glamorgan
4,745 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by LB_NJ
Will Cunard let you bring bottles water aboard?
Yes, they will.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

If contacting me via email, please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
#46
Fort Worth, TX (via Melbourne, Australia)
54 Posts
Joined Feb 2018
Originally posted by scdreamer
Yes, I will likely just suck it up and pay the exorbitant fee for decent drinking water - a basic human requirement - while onboard the QM2, but I won't be happy about it.
How much does the cost of a cruise/crossing on Cunard compare to any other ship you have been on? I've never been on a cruise myself, so don't have a point of comparison, but the other ships I'd have any interest in traveling on are significantly more expensive than Cunard.

For me, the cost of a 7 day TA crossing and then a return flight is cheaper than just purchasing an airline ticket to & from Europe, so the cost of the crossing is a bargain.

The savings I have made will more than cover the cost of gratuities, drinks, and any other "incidental" onboard purchases.
#47
London
694 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Cunard give nothing away. Expect to pay a surprisingly large amount for drinking water.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Van Gogh - Fjords - 2006 Athena - Iceland - 2007
Artemis - Baltic - 2008. Arcadia - Fjords - 2009
Balmoral - Spitzbergen - 2010. Zuiderdam-Alaska -2011
Balmoral - mini - 2012. Queen Victoria-mini
Rachmaninov - Moscow/St Petersburg - 2012
Oriana - Iberia - 2013. Bremen - Antarctica - 2014
Adonia - Caribbean - 2015. Expedition - Arctic - 2015
Riviera - East Med - 2015

SplendourOTSeas - Dubai-2016
Queen Victoria - CapeTown/Soton - 2016
Arcadia - Fjords - 2016
Oriana - Northern Lights 2017
#48
Chicago
299 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by LB_NJ
Will Cunard let you bring bottles water aboard?
Yes, I brought 6 1.5-liter bottles on board with me. The other passengers thought I was crazy, but I saved a fortune.

If I had to do it all over again, I would’ve brought an extra luggage tag with me, stapled it to the carton of water, and let the baggage handlers bring it to our room. Lugging it all the way to the room was no fun.
#49
New Jersey
326 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by onehappystudio
How much does the cost of a cruise/crossing on Cunard compare to any other ship you have been on? I've never been on a cruise myself, so don't have a point of comparison, but the other ships I'd have any interest in traveling on are significantly more expensive than Cunard.

For me, the cost of a 7 day TA crossing and then a return flight is cheaper than just purchasing an airline ticket to & from Europe, so the cost of the crossing is a bargain.

The savings I have made will more than cover the cost of gratuities, drinks, and any other "incidental" onboard purchases.
As another newbie, one other cruise on a sister ship company ship (Princess), there are a couple of things to consider. First, Cunard travelers like to dress up, there is a stricter dress code on Cunard than other cruise lines, which means you may have to bring on extra clothes just for that reason. You can travel for just the cruise fare plus port fees (quoted in the final price). You DO NOT have to buy anything extra on the cruise (except the gratuities really should be paid, the amount of gratuities for the different cabin classes are listed on the Cunard website and there is a few dollars per bag for the porters at embarkation). I strongly recommend travel insurance however that really is true even if you fly both ways. The reason I say you can travel for the cruise fare is that all food is included, as well as entertainment. So is non-bottled water and some non-alcoholic beverages. Soda is extra, but not required, if you drink ALOT of soda a soft drink package is available. You can also bring onboard a couple of bottles of wine (not hard liquor) to enjoy in your cabin without any charge. Drinks in the bars can be purchased a la carte, if you need to. The bottom line is that you do not need to spend anything extra. That said you probably will. Most people cruise because they want the experience.

What other cruise lines are you considering? Cunard is a mass market line, some say top end of the mass market group. Think Princess, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Celebrity, and Norwegian. The high end, think luxury, are lines like Crystal, Seabourn, Viking Ocean Cruises, Azamara, Regent, Silversea Cruises, and some people include Oceania in the group.

WARNING: You probably will not get seasick on an airplane. On the QM2 you will be at sea in the open North Atlantic (known for waves) for 7 days. The North Atlantic is especially rough in winter. Unless you have cruised before you may not know if you will get seasick. Being seasick for seven days would not be my idea of a fun vacation.

FYI, I assume you have considered the cost of getting to the port of embarkation from your home and from the port of debarkation to where you are traveling to in Europe.
#50
Kansas City
522 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
Originally posted by LB_NJ
You can also bring onboard a couple of bottles of wine (not hard liquor) to enjoy in your cabin without any charge.
Actually, you can bring more than a couple of bottles of wine. We've cruised with several people who routinely bring a bottle for every night they are on the ship. You can drink it in your stateroom, or in the dining room with a modest corkage fee.
Originally posted by LB_NJ
You probably will not get seasick on an airplane. On the QM2 you will be at sea in the open North Atlantic (known for waves) for 7 days. The North Atlantic is especially rough in winter. Unless you have cruised before you may not know if you will get seasick. Being seasick for seven days would not be my idea of a fun vacation.
The QM2 is an ocean liner, not a cruise ship, and was designed and built for rough sea crossings. Yes, it is possible that you may get sea sick. However, most people do not. I've never been seasick and DW has been seasick only once in over 80 days on the QM2 mostly on TA crossings, including back to back crossings in December. If you are worried about it, there are motion sickness preventatives available from your local pharmacy, as well as on the ship, to minimize the risk and symptoms.
#51
Fort Worth, TX (via Melbourne, Australia)
54 Posts
Joined Feb 2018
Originally posted by LB_NJ

WARNING: You probably will not get seasick on an airplane. On the QM2 you will be at sea in the open North Atlantic (known for waves) for 7 days. The North Atlantic is especially rough in winter. Unless you have cruised before you may not know if you will get seasick. Being seasick for seven days would not be my idea of a fun vacation.

FYI, I assume you have considered the cost of getting to the port of embarkation from your home and from the port of debarkation to where you are traveling to in Europe.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get seasick at some point - I got motion sickness every time I flew in an airplane up until the age of 18 (and I flew a lot!). I get carsick if I sit in the back seat, and I've gotten seasick sitting in a rowboat on a flat Lake Michigan. I think that is what has stopped me from taking a crossing before now, but I will plan on visiting my doctor before I go, to get something to help (like a patch, or some other medication). I will also be traveling with ginger candy.

Airfares to New York, and home from Hamburg have been paid for using frequent flier miles.

Yeah, I'll have the expense of buying some evening gowns, but I'm looking forward to shopping for them.
#52
New Jersey
326 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
If you think you might get seasick there are room recommendations that are all over the site that you should really consider:

book a cabin as low as possible and in the center (from bow to stern) of the ship as possible within the category (eg, inside, ocean-view, balcony) you want.

It is simple physics that the lower you are and closer to the center of mass of the ship there is less rocking and rolling.

Personally I do better when I am in a place with a view and can get fresh air.

I think you are brave, if I had experiences as you describe I would not set foot on a cruise.
#53
1,295 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
LB_NJ is giving you some questionable advice.

QM2 is a liner. I have crossed the Atlantic more than half a dozen times on QM2 and I can assure you, regardless of the time of year, you will hardly notice any movement. Very few people get sea sick on board. There will be ginger available in the restaurant if you ask and some people believe it stops mal de mer.

You can bring on board as much wines and spirits as you can carry. We always bring at least 6 bottles of champagne (sometimes more).

We don't need to bring spirits as we always travel QG and they are included.

Drinking your own wine in public areas attracts a $20 corkage charge, although on a few occasions they have waived this charge.

I guarantee you'll have a ball and be back in the not too distant future.

Stewart
#54
149 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by onehappystudio
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get seasick at some point - I got motion sickness every time I flew in an airplane up until the age of 18 (and I flew a lot!). I get carsick if I sit in the back seat, and I've gotten seasick sitting in a rowboat on a flat Lake Michigan. I think that is what has stopped me from taking a crossing before now, but I will plan on visiting my doctor before I go, to get something to help (like a patch, or some other medication). I will also be traveling with ginger candy.

Airfares to New York, and home from Hamburg have been paid for using frequent flier miles.

Yeah, I'll have the expense of buying some evening gowns, but I'm looking forward to shopping for them.
I don't want to discourage anybody from taking a cruise on Cunard, but if you get car sick I urge you to reconsider. Whenever the topic of seasickness comes up you will always get advice like: Stay focused on the horizon, chew some ginger sweets, and while this may work for some, for sickness which confines the sufferer to bed there is medication available at the Pursers' Desk, and for more serious cases an injection at the Medical Station.
I love the movement of the QM2, and each voyage I have taken has had some interesting times with the high waves crashing against the windows and sometimes the deck closed.
My daughter and her husband were on a Winter Voyage, 2011 and she was not well at all, her husband wasn't adversely affected and enjoyed a day or two roaming around the QM2 that was reminiscent of the Marie Celeste. The nurses confirmed that there were many staff affected. It was an extreme case. To see a video of this voyage, you can Google it, Raw Footage of QM2 in Stormy Weather. I don't want to be alarmist, as the QM2 can handle this, but you can decide for yourself with full information.
#55
New Jersey
326 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
This is from the US passage contract with Cunard (on their website) regarding alcohol:



"Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage."

I assume many passengers ignore this on a regular basis, I also assume that Cunard does not enforce this all the time. However, this is Cunard's policy.

Also, FYI from the Cunard website the below explains how they minimize (not eliminate) movement:

Stabilisers: Queen Mary 2 has four ‘VM Series’ folding fin stabilisers built by Brown Brothers of Edinburgh, Scotland. They are a one-piece, passive-type design (which means they don’t have flaps) and when combined reduce the ship’s roll by 90%.

Each stabiliser:  weighs approximately 70 tons is 8.2 feet wide
extends beyond the ship’s side by 20.5 feet 
has a surface area of 168 square feet
provides 1070 kN lift
takes approximately 30 seconds to extend or house
#56
Iowa
1,862 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by LB_NJ
This is from the US passage contract with Cunard (on their website) regarding alcohol:

"Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage."

I assume many passengers ignore this on a regular basis, I also assume that Cunard does not enforce this all the time. However, this is Cunard's policy. ...
That's correct on both counts concerning how the alcohol policy is stated in the US passage contract but not enforced by Cunard. However, that alcohol policy is not included in any of Cunard's UK documents that I can find. As near as I can tell, the closest thing to a passage contract available on Cunard's UK web site is an 18-page "Booking Conditions" document which makes no mention of an alcohol policy at all. Now there could be some UK document I don't know about that mentions a limit of one bottle of wine or champagne per passenger. If so, I will gladly stand corrected concerning what is communicated to UK customers about the alcohol policy.

Also, here is how the policy is currently worded in the Cunard UK FAQ. In the past, a limit of one bottle per passenger was mentioned there, but no longer.

"You may bring wine or champagne on board (over the age of 21) to celebrate special occasions. However if it is consumed in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of $20 (fee subject to change). ..."

Regards, John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John

"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017) ... Queen Mary 2, Norway Fjords (2018)


#57
New Jersey
326 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by bluemarble
That's correct on both counts concerning how the alcohol policy is stated in the US passage contract but not enforced by Cunard. However, that alcohol policy is not included in any of Cunard's UK documents that I can find. As near as I can tell, the closest thing to a passage contract available on Cunard's UK web site is an 18-page "Booking Conditions" document which makes no mention of an alcohol policy at all. Now there could be some UK document I don't know about that mentions a limit of one bottle of wine or champagne per passenger. If so, I will gladly stand corrected concerning what is communicated to UK customers about the alcohol policy.

Also, here is how the policy is currently worded in the Cunard UK FAQ. In the past, a limit of one bottle per passenger was mentioned there, but no longer.

"You may bring wine or champagne on board (over the age of 21) to celebrate special occasions. However if it is consumed in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of $20 (fee subject to change). ..."

Regards, John

Wasn't suggesting the contract applied to you. It does however probably apply to US resident citizens boarding in the US. Not sure who else it applies to.

Multiple different contracts may apply to different people on the same ship, it might also depend on where they board. I haven't been able to even see the Cunard UK website recently since it appears Cunard cut off access to it from the US. The UK website used to have a lot more information than the US website.
#58
Lancashier
344 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by onehappystudio
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get seasick at some point - I got motion sickness every time I flew in an airplane up until the age of 18 (and I flew a lot!). I get carsick if I sit in the back seat, and I've gotten seasick sitting in a rowboat on a flat Lake Michigan. I think that is what has stopped me from taking a crossing before now, but I will plan on visiting my doctor before I go, to get something to help (like a patch, or some other medication). I will also be traveling with ginger candy.

Airfares to New York, and home from Hamburg have been paid for using frequent flier miles.

Yeah, I'll have the expense of buying some evening gowns, but I'm looking forward to shopping for them.
I am sure you will be ok think positive and you will be fine. Just enjoy, most ladies look good in their gowns.😆😀
#59
New Jersey
326 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Had not noticed it before but the US passage contract that Carnival posts on the US website is a little different than the one they make you agree to when logging in through the Voyage Personaliser.

Not sure what this would mean if it ever ended up in a US court or in arbitration.
#60
Vale of Glamorgan
4,745 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by onehappystudio
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get seasick at some point - I got motion sickness every time I flew in an airplane up until the age of 18 (and I flew a lot!). I get carsick if I sit in the back seat, and I've gotten seasick sitting in a rowboat on a flat Lake Michigan. I think that is what has stopped me from taking a crossing before now, but I will plan on visiting my doctor before I go, to get something to help (like a patch, or some other medication). I will also be traveling with ginger candy.

Airfares to New York, and home from Hamburg have been paid for using frequent flier miles.

Yeah, I'll have the expense of buying some evening gowns, but I'm looking forward to shopping for them.
I'm not a great traveller, my very first post on Cruise Critic was about seasickness remedies ! One thing I would recommend is to try them on dry land first, one of the OTC ones made me feel very peculiar. I use Avomine if there is the slightest hint of bumpy seas.

Have a great time
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

If contacting me via email, please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !