Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:01 AM.
Trabuco Canyon, Caliornia
347 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
our first princess cruise is coming up and considering getting one coffee card. confused with the wording of "unlimited brewed coffee". My husband likes brewed and I like latte's. If he goes to get me a latte, can he get himself a brewed coffee at the same time, and is he just charged (or one punch) for the latte.
we are on a 28 day cruise, and would prefer not to have daily charges for one or two coffees a day on our acct - we are not getting a drink package.
if hubby goes to get a coffee for himself, gets a brewed, do they punch the card ?

thank you for any explaination
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2011 - Equinox 10 night Italy & Greek Isles - Veranda
2013 - Equinox 11 night Ultimate Caribbean - Veranda
2014 - Infinity 10 night Southern Caribbean - Ocean
2016 - Silhouette 13 night Transatlantic - Aqua
2016 - Silhouette 9 night Shakespeare Norway - Suite
2016 - Silhouette 12 night Scandinavia & Russia - Veranda
2017 - Solstice 7 night Alaska Tracy Arm Fjord - Veranda
2018 - Emerald Princess 28 night Hawaii/Tahiti - Veranda
2018 - Celebrity 10 night Vancouver to Hawaii - Concierge
Las Vegas, Nv
155 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by roxievegas
our first princess cruise is coming up and considering getting one coffee card. confused with the wording of "unlimited brewed coffee". My husband likes brewed and I like latte's. If he goes to get me a latte, can he get himself a brewed coffee at the same time, and is he just charged (or one punch) for the latte.

we are on a 28 day cruise, and would prefer not to have daily charges for one or two coffees a day on our acct - we are not getting a drink package.

if hubby goes to get a coffee for himself, gets a brewed, do they punch the card ?

I might be wrong but regular brewed coffee is available in the cafe/buffet area for free. Specialty coffee is not free. I was considering getting the coffee card also until I saw the prices of the coffee. They aren’t very inexpensive especially compared to Starbucks.

I searched for coffee prices online for princess star and finally came across a menu they were around two dollars and under. I figured it wasn’t worth getting the coffee card.

Here is something i found

https://www.princess.com/downloads/p...Cones-Menu.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

Holland America
Royal Caribbean
Carnival
NCL
Rhode Island
352 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
As I understand the rules, the card allows you unlimited fresh brewed coffee, but specialty coffees are a punch. If your card is older (from an earlier cruise) then they are supposed to punch for all coffee.
In practice, on my 2 recent cruises, I was able to get coffee for 2 of us (hubby and me) that was fresh brewed, with old cards and no punches. Half the time, they didn't even look at the card or seem to care.
SW Iowa
304 Posts
Joined Nov 2010

This is exactly our situation. Coffee for me, a caramel latte for the wife. We are never refused the combo, but the latte gets a punch.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Spring is near ...we can now see the deer moving around in our backyard. It must be time to plan our next cruise..
Alaska, Norwegian Star

Eastern Caribbean, Carnival Ecstasy
Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess
Panama Canal, Coral Princess
Mississippi River, American Queen
Southern Caribbean, Caribbean Princess
Cruising for a Cause US Veterans Caribbean Princess
Ohio River, American Queen
Western Carib again, Emerald Princess
Alaska, Ruby Princess
Eastern Caribbean, Caribbean Princess
Western Caribbean, Nieuw Amsterdam
Alaska Cruise Tour Golden Princess

Whidbey Island, WA
1,043 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
In my experience also (Star, Oct 2017) - if you want two brewed coffees at the same time (one for you, one for wife) they will give you one "free" and punch for the other one.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed!
USS Midway - '72-73 - Subic Bay Philippines (x9), Hong Kong, Singapore, Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
USS Ranger - '76 - Subic Bay Philippines (x3), Singapore, Perth Australia (Shellback)

USS Independence - '80 - South Atlantic, Cape of Good Hope, Mauritius, Indian Ocean, Gulf of Oman,(123 continuous sea days), Suez Canal, Mediterranean Sea, Straits of Gibraltar

USS Independence - '81 - Straits of Gibraltar - Mediterranean Sea, Naples Italy (x2), Straits of Gibraltar

Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean 3/25/12 - Silver Anniversary Cruise
Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean 2/3/13 - Gayle's Birthday Cruise
Norewgian Pearl - Alaska 6/16/13 - 4 Generation Family Cruise
Golden Princess - West Coast Getaway 9/30/13
Star Princess - Hawaii 9/23/17

UPCOMING:
RubyPrincess - Northern California Coastal 9/20/18
Aliso Viejo, CA
42,585 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
The unlimited coffee is just for the person buying the coffee card. The punches can be used for anything from a brewed coffee for someone else or for a latte or other specialty coffee.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-- Pam Email (to be my friend on Facebook, email me. ) PLEASE identify yourself with your Cruise Critic name.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Regal Princess: 11/1/18 10-day NY > FLL
Royal Princess: 4/27/19 Mexican Riviera
Royal Princess: 5/4/19 CA Coastal LA > Vancouver
Sky Princess: 11/17/19 Barcelona to FLL
Cincinnati. OH-Go Reds
6,275 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by Pam in CA
The unlimited coffee is just for the person buying the coffee card. The punches can be used for anything from a brewed coffee for someone else or for a latte or other specialty coffee.
Excellent explanation. I concur
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
347 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
thank you for your help. I am going to get one card before sailing and see how it goes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
So CAL
3,603 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
thank you for your help. I am going to get one card before sailing and see how it goes.
Several suggestions here:

1. Have your husband buy the card. That way, he will be entitled to the "fresh brewed coffee" per policy. He can then "buy" you as many lattes as he wants to as a "gift" from his card. MDR coffee on most of the ships are a concentrated syrup. Not very tasty in my opinion.

2. Buy the card from a staff member on board. They will earn the "credit" and you will be a star for a minute.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Displaced Local Girl

Norwegian Cruise Caribbean 1990
Carnival Jubilee Mexican Riviera 1995
Carnival Celebration Western Caribbean 1998
Sun Princess Alaska 1999
Sun Princess Panama Canal 2001
Regal Princess Baltic 2003
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaiian Islands 2006
Celebrity Infinity Alaska 2010
Carnival Paradise Ensenada: November 2011
Coral Princess Panama Canal: February 14, 2012
Golden Princess: May 20, 2012
Holland America Zaandam October 23, 2012
Golden Princess Hawaiian Islands: February 13, 2013
Sapphire Princess Pacific Coastal: April 13, 2013
Star Princess: 1 day (September 21, 2013)
Golden Princess: 3 Day (September 23, 2013)
Golden Princess: 3 Day (October 21, 2013)
Golden Princess: 3 Day (November 1, 2013/How could I not?)
Golden Princess: 3 Day (November 4, 2013/How could I not, again?)
Star Princess Hawaiian Islands (November 20, 2013)
Sapphire Princess (January, 2014)
Coral Princess (Alaska B2B2B 2014)
Golden Princess: October, 2014
Grand Princess Mexico: November, 2014
Golden Princess: November, 2014
Grand Princess Hawaiian Islands: February, 2015
Crown Princess California Coastal: October, 2015
Crown Princess California Coastal: January, 2016
Las Vegas, NV
1,240 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
All you need is one new card for fresh brewed for one and specialty coffees (with a punch) for the other. However I'm not sure if one card of punches will get you through 28 days.
14,279 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by Elorac123
So you can get 2 lattes from one card
Cheers
Yes, you can get 2 lattes from one card, and the card will be punched twice. You can get one brewed coffee and one latte and the card will be punched once. AND there are 2 sizes of lattes. They are the same "one punch" cost, so may as well go for the bigger one!

Pam said it best--the brewed coffee or tea is for one person; hypothetically the person buying the card. You can give someone else a latte from your card, but you can't get two "free" fresh brews at the same time as they would not both be for you. And the free fresh brews are supposedly only while you have punches remaining on your card. Once that last punch is used, the card is dead.
So CAL
3,603 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Navywife26
Do they do a punch for iced coffee or is that considered regular coffee?
Yes...You can get regular brewed "iced" coffee for free.

If you want an iced coffee made from espresso, then they will punch your card.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Displaced Local Girl

Norwegian Cruise Caribbean 1990
Carnival Jubilee Mexican Riviera 1995
Carnival Celebration Western Caribbean 1998
Sun Princess Alaska 1999
Sun Princess Panama Canal 2001
Regal Princess Baltic 2003
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaiian Islands 2006
Celebrity Infinity Alaska 2010
Carnival Paradise Ensenada: November 2011
Coral Princess Panama Canal: February 14, 2012
Golden Princess: May 20, 2012
Holland America Zaandam October 23, 2012
Golden Princess Hawaiian Islands: February 13, 2013
Sapphire Princess Pacific Coastal: April 13, 2013
Star Princess: 1 day (September 21, 2013)
Golden Princess: 3 Day (September 23, 2013)
Golden Princess: 3 Day (October 21, 2013)
Golden Princess: 3 Day (November 1, 2013/How could I not?)
Golden Princess: 3 Day (November 4, 2013/How could I not, again?)
Star Princess Hawaiian Islands (November 20, 2013)
Sapphire Princess (January, 2014)
Coral Princess (Alaska B2B2B 2014)
Golden Princess: October, 2014
Grand Princess Mexico: November, 2014
Golden Princess: November, 2014
Grand Princess Hawaiian Islands: February, 2015
Crown Princess California Coastal: October, 2015
Crown Princess California Coastal: January, 2016
New Hampshire
3,057 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Just to be clear, the only place you can get real "brewed" coffee is at the International Cafe. The buffet serves coffee that is made from a Nestle syrup or concentrate.
Aliso Viejo, CA
42,585 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by tip
Just to be clear, the only place you can get real "brewed" coffee is at the International Cafe. The buffet serves coffee that is made from a Nestle syrup or concentrate.
Just to be clear, it depends on the ship. Some ships do have brewed coffee in the buffet. On other ships, the coffee from concentrate is fine for most passengers. Coffee, and food, is subjective. What one hates, others like.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-- Pam Email (to be my friend on Facebook, email me. ) PLEASE identify yourself with your Cruise Critic name.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Regal Princess: 11/1/18 10-day NY > FLL
Royal Princess: 4/27/19 Mexican Riviera
Royal Princess: 5/4/19 CA Coastal LA > Vancouver
Sky Princess: 11/17/19 Barcelona to FLL
Massachusetts
670 Posts
Joined Jun 2007

I bought a coffee card on my cruise on the regal in the fall of 2016, I would go to the International Cafe each morning for 2 fresh-brewed coffees to go. maybe twice they punched the card for the second coffee. By the end of the cruise I used maybe 5 punches for some specialty coffees and the couple they charged me for.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I sailed on the Regal again. The first day they punched two holes for the to go coffees. They punched it again a few days later. That's all. I still have 10 or so punches left.
rocklin ca
1,607 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Do they still give you a free mug if you buy the coffee card onboard? And also, is the hot chocolate from the coffee bar included?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising with teens
Williamsburg, VA
572 Posts
Joined May 2011

Hello Roxie,

May I suggest this? Just get two coffee cards. It amounts to a buck and a quarter a day on a 28 day cruise. You both can have a latte every other day and all of the fresh brewed, really good teas and hot chocolates that you want. It truly is a good deal for for those that enjoy a better cup of coffee, tea hot chocolate and the occasional specialty coffee. I was able to gift several cruisers with coffee that would otherwise go on their charge with the extra punches on my older card. I got the idea from someone else on the board. Getting the two cards really removes the guess work out of the equation.
347 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
since I will have some OBC - what staff can I purchase the cards from once on board ?? - any staff member? or at the coffee station ?

I will follow "tailspintom" advice and purchase two - just in case hubby not around when I want my latte

thank you all for the information
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature