QM2 not what it is made out to be

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:52 AM.
Chester, UK
1,532 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
MarkBearSF makes a very valid point.

I think the problem is that some companies use false loyalty to get away with poor service/failing standards. They know they have enough customers who will always stick them no matter how bad they become and so they feel they can get away with it.

Cunard is a prime example. Too many people think they are the be-all and end-all, so no matter what they do, they will continue to get repeat business from these people.

To give you an example from personal experience; Mr and Mrs Toad used to go to a hotel in the UK every few months (just for 2 or 3 nights). The main reason was that the food was excellent, well priced and so on. The menu used to change every night. Then, over time, it changed so that there were also a number of fixed items, with a few items changing each night. As time went on, this has now changed again; the last 2 or 3 times we have been, the menu did not change once - it was identical from one year/6 months to the next.

So now we're not been back for over a year because to us they have become lazy and are taking their customers for granted. And i feel Cunard is doing the same; taking customers from granted, because they know they can keep making cutbacks/increases prices/reducing service and yet people will still keep coming back because of false loyalty.
Staffordshire
2,437 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by ToadOfToadHall
MarkBearSF makes a very valid point.

I think the problem is that some companies use false loyalty to get away with poor service/failing standards. They know they have enough customers who will always stick them no matter how bad they become and so they feel they can get away with it.

Cunard is a prime example. Too many people think they are the be-all and end-all, so no matter what they do, they will continue to get repeat business from these people.

To give you an example from personal experience; Mr and Mrs Toad used to go to a hotel in the UK every few months (just for 2 or 3 nights). The main reason was that the food was excellent, well priced and so on. The menu used to change every night. Then, over time, it changed so that there were also a number of fixed items, with a few items changing each night. As time went on, this has now changed again; the last 2 or 3 times we have been, the menu did not change once - it was identical from one year/6 months to the next.

So now we're not been back for over a year because to us they have become lazy and are taking their customers for granted. And i feel Cunard is doing the same; taking customers from granted, because they know they can keep making cutbacks/increases prices/reducing service and yet people will still keep coming back because of false loyalty.
I agree with this sentiment but think it is a problem throughout the cruise industry. Price hikes on fares, drinks and lowering the standard of meals in MDR and buffet, P&O are having the same problem, yet they dont think that they have to try hard to keep loyalty of customers because I feel that they have the arrogant attitude of people returning whatever so they dont have to try. I am afraid that they have forgotten that loyalty works both ways.
Chester, UK
1,532 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by majortom10
I agree with this sentiment but think it is a problem throughout the cruise industry. Price hikes on fares, drinks and lowering the standard of meals in MDR and buffet, P&O are having the same problem, yet they dont think that they have to try hard to keep loyalty of customers because I feel that they have the arrogant attitude of people returning whatever so they dont have to try. I am afraid that they have forgotten that loyalty works both ways.
Yes, I suspect it applies equally to all cruise lines. People are very loyal to their favourite brand and will not have a thing said against them, so they continue to show them patronage no matter the level of arrogance shown towards them.
Brooksville FL
3,931 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
I usually discount food reviews of all ships as too personal of an opinion.
Although we enjoy Cunard , we cruise on mostly Mass Market cruise lines also.
Cunard is a different experience but agree that Cunard does overhype the Cunard Experience ,unless you are in the Grills (which we have never been yet).

Still in all , can't wait for our next QM2 cruise .
Pennsylvania
6,276 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Here's where in weigh in (and we'll be on HAL in a couple of weeks so I can further test my theory).

Cunard is elegant, formal and classy. They're also more aloof than other lines I've cruised on in terms of service. Not so much in the dining room, which is loosening up on Cunard (but hopefully never to the level of nightly singing waiters) but definitely in the bars. That affects how you feel about your time aboard.

I know other have had a different experience but that's the view from here.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 8 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
ms Eurodam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
US
535 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by john watson
This is a description of the state of a fretful child; the baby was very grizzly all evening. Does not relate to food in my opinion. The word that I assume the poster needed to use was gristly, from there being too much gristle in the steak. If only they had used an automatic spell checker they would have got drizzle, a light rain in prolific fine droplets.

Regards John
LOL. I know : )
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QUEEN MARY 2 - Oct 2004, Dec 2005, Dec 2006, May 2006, Dec 2007, July 2008, Dec 2008, Dec 2009, Dec 2010, Sept 2011, Sept 2013, Oct 2014, Oct 2015
Queen Mary Hotel in Long Beach, CA - Dec 2013

Disney Magic - Jan 2014, Disney Dream - Dec 2015, Sept 2016, Feb 2017

Eurodam Alaksa Sept 2017 - mistake

584 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by chloe kitty
Just off the QM2. We have done dozens of cruises, but this was our first time, and LAST time on Cunard. The food was of low quality. Steaks in the dining room were mostly grizzle. Choice of food was extremely limited. Entertainment was fairly good. Tour desk was lacking. It was a very sick ship. Not a top ship my any means,
While I can share some criticism (I posted earlier), I have no choice other than to share another thing - a real story.
Two young men in the museum were talking near The Sistine Madonna: "This painting does not impress me.."
A famous actress that happened to be there turned to them and said: "This painting has been impressing so many people for so many years, that now it can decide by itself .. whom to impress".

I believe a good advice to those who is planning a sea travel on the Queen of all ships is to get prepared. This is a special ship with a special history, and a special mission. Almost everything you are going to see on this ocean liner is done for a reason, and has a special meaning.
Even the things that could have been on this ship but are missing - are missing for a reason.
This ship is telling a story. Are you ready to listen?

The liner is created for the North Atlantic line, so the best way to know and understand it is to make trip from Southampton to New York.

It's a good idea to learn something about Van Gogh before you go to the exhibition.
It will make someone's experience more enjoyable.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My cruise blog - my personal cruise travel
New Hamsphire
555 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Originally posted by ronbe65
While I can share some criticism (I posted earlier), I have no choice other than to share another thing - a real story.
Two young men in the museum were talking near The Sistine Madonna: "This painting does not impress me.."
A famous actress that happened to be there turned to them and said: "This painting has been impressing so many people for so many years, that now it can decide by itself .. whom to impress".

I believe a good advice to those who is planning a sea travel on the Queen of all ships is to get prepared. This is a special ship with a special history, and a special mission. Almost everything you are going to see on this ocean liner is done for a reason, and has a special meaning.
Even the things that could have been on this ship but are missing - are missing for a reason.
This ship is telling a story. Are you ready to listen?

The liner is created for the North Atlantic line, so the best way to know and understand it is to make trip from Southampton to New York.

It's a good idea to learn something about Van Gogh before you go to the exhibition.
It will make someone's experience more enjoyable.
Well stated!
Berkshire
16 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Reading the posts I have to agree with some of the comments posted. My partner and I are keen "Cunarders" with several transatlantic voyages on QM2 and European/Med on the sister ships.

It is difficult to compare the Britannia experiences across the sister ships as each has their own style and atmosphere for example we found the crew on QV to be more bonded as a team and "old school" with many having worked on QE2 therefore the dining experience was fantastic.

Qm2 sufferers from several issues, firstly the sheer size of the Britannia dinning room is a wonderful space, but lacks atmosphere, IF in our opinion you sit in the Deck 3 level in towards the centre of the room.
The upper levels seem to work better especially nearer to the desirable windows tables and the waiting staff seem more cohesive in their team work and delivery.

Our gripe, and believe me as I type this I realise it truly is a first world problem, is the repetition of dishes.
It's always the same and mostly in the same order on a transatlantic voyage.

We now go to the Veranda on certain nights because In Britannia, although its a perfectly nice dish I don't want to eat lobster tail with jollof style rice and tempura prawns for the 5th time or the beef wellington for the 3rd, each presented exactly the same way as previous crossings.

I guess its incredibly personal how you enjoy your dinning experience but i would agree that Cunard needs to listen and respond more to those who are loyal to the brand engaging on social media etc and not resting on their history and reputation to fill the every growing ships .

For us as a couple we are the new generation of Cunard customers, middle aged and potentially several decades of voyages ahead however I will say our heads have been turned by other companies and sometimes we just wish there was a little more to offer.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Platinum CUNARD World Club Member
Past sailings
8 x TA QM2 (mostly winter crossing Oct-Jan)
1 x Western Med QV (pre refit)
1x Northern Europe QE
2x Hamburg Roundtrip QE/QM2

Booked Voyages
QV Guernsey 2018
QM2 TA 2018
QE Bruges markets 2018
Toronto, Ontario
408 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
Excellent analysis and as previously posted it applies to the purchase of all goods and services, not just cruise lines.

The "obedient consumer" is most beloved by business and is the foundation of increased profits.

The cruise lines are all reducing the value of their product because of the "obedient consumer" as well as favorable economic conditions which is allowing consumers to cruise more.

I believe basic marketing should be taught to every high school individual so they learn about their future willing and repetitive exploitation by private enterprise. May be people will wake up to the methods of modern capitalism. While reasonable profit is required, gouging and deliberate downgrades are not.

We have enjoyed Cunard and now Oceania. We fired Celebrity in 2015 because of their vast (and continuing) downgrading of their once unique and great product.

I am a ruthless consumer and will kick to the curb any and all service providers if I even smell of downgrading that can not be justified by inflation or because of difficult sector circumstances like government intrusion/legislation/product scarcity.

I read posts on CC and shake my head at people complaining about downgrading but still booking future cruises. Or being incredibily loyal trying to minimize downgrades.

It is called the consumer behavior bell curve folks and after 40 years in marketing I still shake my head at "obedient consumers". We just love today's obedient consumers!
3,598 Posts
Joined Sep 2008

So what’s the reason for serving inedible steak?

DAVID.
NYC
4,012 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
A useful and objective review will mention both the good and bad points of a voyage while giving specific examples. Other than bad steak we see no specifics here. The OP clearly had a disappointing experience. But declaring QM2 a "sick ship" is a bit dramatic. No wonder the "perfect" brigade jumped to her defense.

For example, how was the tour desk "lacking"? Hours open? Choice of tours? Details about them? The one the OP wanted was sold out? We haven't been told how it was "lacking".

Did they like their stateroom? The dining room service? The public rooms and cleanliness of the ship? Did they enjoy at least one show? I hope the OP will be back to give examples or will write a formal review and tell us exactly what was QM2 "made out to be" in their expectations and how those expectations were not met. Telling us that their vacation sucked isn't helpful to anyone.
UK
720 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by Cats2010
How true! Unfortunately there are people who enjoy to complain all the time - I ignore them because they do not only spoil the time of other guests but their own time as well. To me it has never happened before that the food was as bad as described, and if it was, there are plenty of other places on the ship to go to.

The ship itself is of high quality, elegant and solid and represents what one expects from a true ocean liner.

Full stop.

It’s all down to individuals standards, some are higher than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Staffordshire
2,437 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by PRINCESSTHE BEST
It’s all down to individuals standards, some are higher than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Or some expect too much or have unrealistic expectations.
Vale of Glamorgan
4,291 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
And some people enjoy different things, it's unrealistic to expect everyone to enjoy the same cruise lines.
I am sorry that the OP was disappointed but it doesn't mean that those of us who enjoy the Cunard experience are blindly loyal, we have found a holiday experience we enjoy and we will carry on enjoying it for as long as we can.
I haven't been on a cruise since November 2016 & I'm really looking forward to being back on QV next month.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

If contacting me via email, please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
UK
2,196 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Perhaps the OP's expectations were simply too high? I'm sure we are all fair and honest enough to admit that Cunard is not perfect - it's close (!) but could do better in certain areas. I'm more than happy to sail on a Queen (busy looking for our next trip) but if another cruise line was to come along with a good offer I would take it.

I do wish, however, that people would give more reasons other than state 'it's a sick ship'. I don't even know what this means.

Please OP, come back and fill in the blanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
2018 Southampton-San Francisco - Cunard. 2017 Eastbound T/A - Cunard. 2016 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Bahamas & Florida - NCL: 2015 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2014 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Norway/Iceland - P&O: 2013 Canary Islands - NCL: 2011 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2011 Southern T/A - Celebrity: 2011 Australasia - Princess: 2009 Australia/New Zealand - Royal Caribbean: 2005 Norway - Louis Line: 2004 Alaska - Celebrity: 2000 Eastern Caribbean - Royal Caribbean
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
7,482 Posts
Joined May 2000
Seems a little harsh. I certainly don't consider Cunard food and service to be the best at sea, but I'm not sure I would call it "low quality" either. I suppose it all depends on what you're comparing it with. If you expected Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn, Oceania, or Regent food/service standards on Cunard you would probably be disappointed, but overall I think Cunard does fairly well in the category. Perhaps slightly better than average. Overall I still prefer the cuisine on Celebrity (more apples to apples comparison), but of course there is only one QM2 and it's the ship that keeps bringing me back to Cunard.
Vale of Glamorgan
4,291 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
"Unrealistic" better serves the case IMO.
Unrealistic from the first step - taking a cruise in the Caribbean on the ocean liner.
The OP was on board from Cape Town to Freemantle.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

If contacting me via email, please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !