What is wrong with me? How do others do it?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:44 AM.
nemo, texas
1,548 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
My DH & I did a 27 day TA, London to Ft. Lauderdale, with one carry on & 1 personal item each. We have to fly when we cruise. We haven't checked a bag in several years. But that's what works for us. We are very low maintenance. You are probably a lot more fashionable than I am. Travel the way that works for you. You sound like a happy traveler & that's the important thing.
4 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
1. Drink water
2. One swim suit, hang to dry overnight
3. Black sandals will work with a black dress (which, if chosen correctly, can also be worn again for site-seeing), for by the pool, and for on the beach
4. Wear tennis shoes on the plane for site-seeing
5. No iron pants and a polo should do for your husband's formal night and he can wear again for site-seeing
6. Wear the same pants or shorts multiple times
7. Jacket or sweater, not both
8. Wear heaviest items on plane
1,153 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
I don’t even bother trying to take less than a large suitcase. I like dressing up, doing my makeup (skip most days at home but vacation is a go for it situation) and bringing my photography gear. But, we usually drive to the port. If I was flying, I would not bring so much. One pair of heels, that work with all dresses, streamlined makeup bag, etc. Ultimately, it depends on how you like to vacation (Dress up, Dress down), whether you want to do laundry (no way if 7 days or less) and whether you have air travel to factor in. I wouldn’t worry about it unless the excess bags are causing a problme for you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ruby Princess 5 Day to Cabo Review
Jewel Haven Review 2016
Princess Renewal of Vows Review

2018 Ruby Princess to Cabo
2017 Ruby Princess Mexican Riviera
2016 Norwegian Jewel to the Mexican Riviera
Norwegian Sky - Pacific Coastal
RCCL Monarch of the Seas - Ensenada
NCL Seaward - Caribbean
Cunard Countess - Caribbean
San Diego County
421 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
I always make notes after a cruise on packing. For 7, 10, 14 day cruises, we typically send out some laundry. I always bring my tux and DW dresses to match. We typically have one medium sized suitcase each,, sometimes a shared garment bag and a small carry on each. There are some great videos on YouTube about ow to pack jackets and such. It can br done,

Cheers
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
8,267 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
We each take a rolling carry on (21 inch) and a hand held bag (gym bag type) that we put on top of out carry on. This way we only need one hand to push both bags.
For my DH I pack:
9 shirts, mostly button down and some golf shirts. One shirt for his tux. And one tee shirt.
One tux.
Three pairs of dress/dockers type pants.
One pair of shorts. (he is not a short wearer. )
One bathing suit. (Most time it comes back not used).
Seven each Under shirts, pants and socks.
Two belts and a pair of PJ's.
One sweater. All clothing goes in the 21 inch carry on.
Two pairs of shoes that go in the gym bag with the personal items
The thing that helps us is that we get free laundry. We send a bag out each day.
We do carry on and off. I do use packing cubes and folders
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
FUTURE CRUISES
REGAL PRINCESS EASTERN CARIBBEAN, 1/20/19, 2/10/19, 3/3/19
ROYAL PRINCESS WESTERN CARIBBEAN, 12/15/18

6,467 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
I have never felt guilty about checking luggage. I need my carryon allocation for meds, makeup, toiletries, electronics, manicure items, jewelry and the defensive packing "if the rest of the luggage gets lost" list'. Over the years, as my knees started hurting more, I started packing fewer dress shoes, and could actually manage with 4 pairs of shoes, which includes the pair I wear while traveling - but why? I like variety in my wardrobe, and need a specific kind of sunscreen, etc., so it is usually a 2 checked bag for me and 1 checked bag for DH situation, as well as 2 carryon items each. Limiting it to 4 checked bags when going on lengthy cruises ( over 30 days with several climates) is a trick, but manageable. So, don't feel bad about packing what you want, especially if you are driving to the port, you lucky lady. We have to fly in most of the time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Kindness is the highest form of intelligence." W. Teasdale
cruising.calm ggprincess 2004
Upcoming: October 2018 Royal Princess; January 2019 Caribbean Princess; Jan- Feb 2019 Coral Princess; Feb March 2019 - b2b Sea Princess; April - May 2019 Golden Princess b2b2b; July-August 2019 Pacific Princess; October-November 2019 Emerald Princess b2b
Completed:

March 2018 Caribbean Princess; Oct-Nov 2017 Diamond Princess b2b2b2b; April 2017 Grand Princess b2b; Nov 2016 Caribbean Princess b2b; March 2016 Grand Princess; Nov 2015 Celebrity Reflection; May-June 2015 Grand Princess b2b; Oct-Nov 2014 b2b2b Caribbean Princess; August 2014 Caribbean Princess b2b; April 2014 Caribbean Princess; February 2014 Ruby Princess b2b Caribbean;October/November 2012 Grand Princess b2b Canary Islands and crossing; January 2012 Emerald Princess Caribbean; October 2011 Ruby Princess b2b Med and crossing; August 2011 Sea Princess Alaska; March 2011 Coral Princess, Panama Canal; Feb 2011 Grand Princess S. Caribbean, Oct 2010 Crown Princess, July 2010 Caribbean Princess., April 2010 Golden Princess Dec 2009 Crown Princess , August/September 2009 Caribbean Princess , Jan 2009 b2b Emerald Princess, September 2008 Tahitian Princess , April 2008 Coral Princess, January 2008 Dawn Princessa, December 2007 Grand Princess, May/June 2007 Sapphire Princess Whittier to Vancouver,May 2007 Sapphire Princess Vancouver to Whittier,May 2007 Sapphire Princess LA to Vancouver, January 2007 Golden Princess W. Carribean ,January 2007 Golden Princess, October 2006 Caribbean Princess W.Carribean, March 2006 Island Princess Hawaii, October 2005 Sea Princess , August 2005 Caribbean Princess, April 2005 Regal Princess, November 2004 Coral Princess Panama Canal, August 2004 Grand Princess,(marrried my DH aboard the Grand Princess on August 4, 2004 in the Baltic Sea),October 2002 Grand Princess,1970's and 1980'2: 3 Cruises Royal Caribbean and 2 cruises NCL
South Carolina
30,956 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Originally posted by ggprincess2004
I have never felt guilty about checking luggage. I need my carryon allocation for meds, makeup, toiletries, electronics, manicure items, jewelry and the defensive packing "if the rest of the luggage gets lost" list'. Over the years, as my knees started hurting more, I started packing fewer dress shoes, and could actually manage with 4 pairs of shoes, which includes the pair I wear while traveling - but why? I like variety in my wardrobe, and need a specific kind of sunscreen, etc., so it is usually a 2 checked bag for me and 1 checked bag for DH situation, as well as 2 carryon items each. Limiting it to 4 checked bags when going on lengthy cruises ( over 30 days with several climates) is a trick, but manageable. So, don't feel bad about packing what you want, especially if you are driving to the port, you lucky lady. We have to fly in most of the time.
Like! We feel exactly the same.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)
534 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
I am famous for over-packing and that is just fine by me! I pay a fair amount of money to cruise and I'm going to enjoy it. But then I still dress up for the theatre and the airplane too! I dress in gowns for formal nights, not just black pants and a blingy top. If that works for you great. I dress for the MDR. I get compliments from crew and paxs. I am fortunate that I can drive to Port Everglades, but even on a land trip to Spain and an Alaskan cruise last year, I still over-packed. I would rather over-pack than be one of those back-packers that you DO see in the MDR. But to each his own.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Navigare necesse est, vivere non est neccese, 'To set sail somewhere is more important than life itself"

Legend of the Seas 12/22/08 Singapore, Phuket, Langkawi, Kuala Lumpur
Crown Princess 04/12/09 St. Thomas, St. Martin, Grand Turk
Island Princess 12/19/2011 Aruba, Cartagena, Panama Canal, Colon, Limon, Ocho Rios
Vision Of The Seas 11/10/2013
Ruby Princess 12/22/2013 Princess Cays
Ruby Princess 02/20/2014 Grand Cayman
Caribbean Princess 12/22/2014 Cozumel
Regal Princess 12/20/2015 Princess Cays, St. Thomas, St. Martin
Caribbean Princess 12/17/16 and 12/23/16 Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya, FLL, Princess Cays, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, Amber Cove
Celebrity Infinity 08/13/17 Vancouver, Sitka, Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Ketchikan, Inside Passage
Royal Princess 12/20/17 Amber Cove, St.Kitts, Barbados, Martinque, Antigua, St. Thomas
Upcoming:
Royal Princess 04/09/18 Princess Cays, St. Thomas, St. Martin
Lihue HI & Calimesa CA
6,509 Posts
Joined May 2013
We're Elite, so we pack with free laundry in mind. Everything we pack with the exception of formal night clothes goes to the laundry. We usually send out a bag every 2-3 days.
DH has narrowed his formal night attire down to the suit in a bag and a very nice turtleneck sweater that he can wear for chilly nights.
His other clothes include a pair of shorts and a pair of jeans (wears them on the plane), a couple of t-shirts and underwear for 4-5 days. He packs sandals and his dress shoes, wears his walking shoes.
I pack a long dress for formal night and a pashmina shawl (I also wear it when it's chilly). One nice pair of long pants for dining room wear or when it's chilly, 2-3 pair of shorts and 5-6 shirts, socks and undies. I wear a sweatshirt and long pants on the plane.
Everything is rolled and packed in cubes or vacuum bags.
I bring conditioner, normal brushes/combs, toothpaste, etc. I don't wear make-up, don't use hairspray (I'm very low maintenance). The usual odds & ends for the bathroom - shaver, etc. Some OTC & Rx meds.
Everything goes in one large roll aboard suitcase and 2 very roomy backpacks.
Some of the clothing choices will change when we go to Alaska in Sept.
Outside your cabin creeping with my drone.
425 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
We eliminate the non-essentials. Deodorant, toothpaste, socks, underwear. By only taking one extra pair of jeans and T-shirt we eliminate needless luggage.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Triumph: Feb. 2013
Carnival Dream: March 2013
Costa Concordia: January 2012
Carnival Splendor: Nov. 2010
Carnival Ecstacy: July 1998
Andrea Doria: July 1956
Lusitania: May 1915
Titanic: April 1912
Vancouver, BC
72 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
For us what takes up the most room is my husband's Scottish Kilt, including jacket, belt and sporran. And for me it's shoes! I can't wear my cream shoes with my black dress, LOL. That's the hard part is all the shoes and hubby's kilt
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

November 2018 Celebrity Equinox (Caribbean),
14,312 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by JF - retired RRT
We're Elite, so we pack with free laundry in mind. Everything we pack with the exception of formal night clothes goes to the laundry. We usually send out a bag every 2-3 days.
So you find the laundry service to be satisfactory? We're read some scare stories about how hard they are on the clothing. This will be the first cruise that we qualify for the complimentary service....but I'll do it myself if sending it means ruined clothing.
Abbotsford,B.C,Canada
454 Posts
Joined May 2013
Originally posted by Woobstr112G
My feelings exactly.....

Bob

Yes mine too, hubby & I drive to the port and we take a larger suitcase each garment bag each and a carry on each .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Long Island, NY
2,185 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
We don't even try. We bring one big suitcase each. One carry on each. And usually one extra big suitcase half empty on the way and full on the way home.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jen and Tim

Escape Completely

I'm growing older, but not up. My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck. Let the winds of time blow over my head, I'd rather die while I'm living rather then live while I'm dead.

Norwegian Bliss Eastern Caribbean 3/2019
Ruby Princess 4/2018 Alaska Inside Passage with GB

Ruby Princess 6/17 Alaska inside passage with Glacier Bay
Regal Princess 3/17 Western Carribean
Norwegian Escape April 2016 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Breakaway March 2015 Florida and Bahamas
Royal Princess 3/2014 Eastern Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 11/12 FLL, Aruba, Curaco, Princess Cays
Oasis of the Seas 11/2011
Crown Princess Western Caribbean 12/10
Caribbean Princess Repo cruise 10/09 - Big Apple to San Juan "BATS II" Cruise
Carnival Imagination 2/09
Caribbean Princess Repo Cruise - Big Apple to San Juan - 10/2008 "BATS Cruise"
Caribbean Princess - 4/08
Caribbean Princess 1/08
Disney Magic - Honeymoon Cruise 9/06
NE Ohio
4,152 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by OCruisers
We don't even try to ....
Same here. We like to have a good selection of clothes and accessories when we cruise so we usually have 3 large suitcases.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC
UPCOMING. Royal Princess TA Sept. 10, 2018
COMPLETED Sitmar 5 cruises 1974-79, *Royal Caribbean 6 cruises, *Home Lines 1 cruise, *Diamond Princess LA-Hawaii Jan., 2008, *Diamond Princess Alaska Southbound May, 2008, *Ruby Princess TA/Med. April, 2009, *Ruby TA Med, April, 2010, *Celebrity Eclipse TA Oct, 2010, *Emerald Princess TA September, 2012, *Grand Princess Hawaii April, 2013,*Emerald Princess January, 2014, *Ruby Princess January, 2014, *Ruby Princess March 15 & 20, 2014 B2B, *Ruby Princess September, 2014 TA, *August/Sept. 2015 27 days, British Isles & Transatlantic--our longest & best cruise so far! *May, 2016 Ruby Princess Alaska RT Seattle * Aug., 2016 Regal Princess 25 day Baltic/ Scandinavia/Transatlantic* March 13, 2017 LA Roundtrip to Hawaii Star Princess, Sept. 10, 2017 Caribbean Princess British Isles/TA b2b, March 4, 2018 Star Princess 15 days
League City, TX
42,424 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by Sacto Rick
The wife and I took a 14 day land/sea alaska/yukon/inside passage trip last summer with two carry-ons.
They gave us a "golf clap" at the transportation desk at Anchorage airport.
For those not familiar with the term: golf clap
noun: golf clap; plural noun: golf claps
a round of deliberately quiet applause, considered appropriate during a golf tournament but often uncomplimentary in other venues.
USA
10,000 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
One large suitcase for both (will weigh about 50 pounds), carryon bag and laptop bag works for us.

Will do laundry about 5-6 days into cruise and than hand wash as necessary.

Suit stays home.
Sacramento
511 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by caribill
For those not familiar with the term: golf clap
noun: golf clap; plural noun: golf claps
a round of deliberately quiet applause, considered appropriate during a golf tournament but often uncomplimentary in other venues.
Not sure they were schooled on your definitions but in this case it was very complimentary. Nice zing though...