[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:28 AM.
Montana
399 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
Originally posted by The Wood Duck
Little off topic but do they have draft beer? If so could anyone comment on type/brands and cost. I am a big draught lover.
We recently had draft beer at the Pub Lunch in the Wheelhouse Bar. It was an English brand I believe.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ruby - Eastern Caribbean 2011 Norwegian Jewel-W. Car. 2013
Coral - Panama Canal 2015
Ruby - Mex. Riviera 2017
Crown - So. Carribean 2018
NEXT??? I work so I can cruise
URL=https://www.cruisecritic.com/][/url]
Louisiana
425 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by MrMan
What should she be apologizing for? When a retail store has a special or sale and then discontinues it do you ask for an apologies?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
I think the difference here is that most people book cruises months (maybe even year or so) in advance when certain specials are still active.
San Diego area (Escondido), CA
44 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
I sent a brief email of disapproval about the death of happy hour to customer services a few days ago, got my automated reply and then, today, a form email, as expected, saying F-U, but nicely. I suggest that cruisers start sharing info on shore experiences with cheap drinks. My best ever was in St Maarten on the boardwalk drinking $2 beers and watching the mini parade go by.

This beats my customer service request that they stop the dumb policy of opening BOTH beers when delivered at happy hour. The ship staff said that it was corporate policy -- so customer services forwarded my complaint to-- the ship's staff.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Don and Ms. Mickey
San Diego area (Escondido), CA
1999 to present; Princess, Celebrity, mostly -- Caribbean, Pacific, Alaska etc. 17 completed.
In 2017: Princess, Hawaii - Celebrity, Caribbean - Princess,Mexico - 2018: Princess Eastern then Southern Caribbean
Eagle, ID
127 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Currently onboard the Royal. Both BOGOS are definitely gone. It was decimated whatever crowd club 6 was getting for the later night Happy Hour. Real bummer!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
March 20, 2018 - Royal Princess - Southern Caribbean Medley

Link To Google Spreadsheet Royal Princess March 10, 2018 Roll Call / Sailaway / Meet & Greet / Cabin Crawl / Slot Pull

Previous Cruises:
December 10, 2017 - Regal Princess - Eastern Caribbean
Northern California
2,722 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
We are currently on the Diamond Princess. We don’t miss the BOGO at all. The Wheelhouse Bar is now a quiet afternoon place to enjoy a glass of wine before dinner. No more waiting in line to get a couple of glasses of wine or drinks. No more jockeying for a place to sit. No more feeling like I have to join in the obligatory “where are you from” or “how many cruises.” Do, it might add $100 to $150 to the cost of the cruise. But, after $7000 plus, it isn’t really relevant. Think I might send Princess a letter too.
Toronto
57 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
I was on a b2b on the Regal in February. The 1st week we had BOGO, the 2nd week it was gone. We did have $3.00 Bellinis all day on deck 16 for our first four days of the second week. Then they disappeared. Anyone else have $3.00 Bellinis? Were they too popular and Princess took them away quickly?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Caribbean Princess December 2008 - Eastern Caribbean
Crown Princess October 2010 -Western Caribbean
Ruby Princess January 2011 -Eastern Caribbean
Crown Princess November 2011 - Southern Caribbean
Coral Princess November 2012 -Panama Canal
Ruby Princess June 2013 - Greek Isles & Mediterranean
Caribbean Princess September 2013 -Canada/New England's
Royal Princess January 2014-Eastern Caribbean
Royal Princess February 2014 - Eastern Caribbean
Grand Princess April 2014 - Hawaii
Crown Princess August 2014 - Alaska Northbound
Crown Princess September 2014 - Alaska Southbound
Caribbean Princess November 2014 - Eastern Caribbean
Regal Princess November 2014 - Eastern Caribbean
Regal Princess November 2014 - Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Reflection April 2015 - Eastern Caribbean
Grand Princess August 2015 - Alaska Northbound
Grand Princess September 2015 - Alaska Southbound
Royal Princess November 2015 - Eastern Caribbean
Crown Princess May 2016 - Alaska Inside Passage With Glacier Bay
Crown Princess September 2016 - California Coastal
Crown Princess September 2016 - Mexican Riviera
Regal Princess February 2017 - Caribbean East/West Adventure

Regal Princess November 2017 - Caribbean East/West Adventure
Regal Princess February 2018 - Caribbean East/West Adventure
Regal Princess - August 2018 - European Transatlantic
589 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Originally posted by Funkat
I think the difference here is that most people book cruises months (maybe even year or so) in advance when certain specials are still active.
Bases on that cruise lines could never change anything, because people book so far in advance.

Happy hour was never advertised as a special offer or even mentioned on their website, so "I was promised this when I booked" seems a little week.

I think I did Happy Hour once on my last cruise? Really crowded, didn't see what the big deal was.
Long Island, NY
3,728 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Originally posted by billco
We are currently on the Diamond Princess. We don’t miss the BOGO at all. The Wheelhouse Bar is now a quiet afternoon place to enjoy a glass of wine before dinner. No more waiting in line to get a couple of glasses of wine or drinks. No more jockeying for a place to sit. No more feeling like I have to join in the obligatory “where are you from” or “how many cruises.” Do, it might add $100 to $150 to the cost of the cruise. But, after $7000 plus, it isn’t really relevant. Think I might send Princess a letter too.
What does “feeling like I have to join in the obligatory ‘where are you from’ or ‘how many cruises’” have to do with BOGO? And why would you feel obligated to join in regardless?
502 Posts
Joined May 2009
The fact that venues were full during BOGOF suggests very loudly to me that the offer was extremely popular with guests. The fact that if venues are quiet now adds weight to my thoughts that people were not there for the venue but the offer, and sounds like more guests were happier with the offer than the odd ones who didn't like it.
Brickell, Miami FL & Naples, FL
8,085 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Originally posted by MaxwellOz
I was on a b2b on the Regal in February. The 1st week we had BOGO, the 2nd week it was gone. We did have $3.00 Bellinis all day on deck 16 for our first four days of the second week. Then they disappeared. Anyone else have $3.00 Bellinis? Were they too popular and Princess took them away quickly?
I wonder if they had these in December and the 4 of us missed them because we were sitting in the Sanctuary?!!

Perhaps they were testing this out to possibly replace the BOGO?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carolyn

Disney Wonder 7/19/02~Bahamas ---- Disney Wonder 1/5/03~Bahamas
Disney Magic 6/7/03~W. Caribbean ---- Disney Magic 1/3/04~W. Caribbean
Golden Princess 10/24/04~S. Caribbean --- Golden Princess 7/11/05~N. European Capitals
Star Princess 3/19/06 (the infamous fire cruise) ~ Western Caribbean
Disney Wonder 7/23/06~Bahamas ---- Crown Princess 11/4/06~S. Caribbean
Crown Princess 3/31/07~S. Caribbean ---- Crown Princess 3/29/08~S. Caribbean
Crown Princess 4/5/09~E. Caribbean ---- Crown Princess 10/30/10~Western Caribbean
Crown Princess 11/12/11~S. Caribbean ---- Norwegian Sky 9/3/12~Bahamas
Majesty of the Seas RCL 1/11/13~Bahamas --- Majesty of the Seas RCL 8/19/13~Bahamas
Ruby Princess 1/18/14~W. Caribbean ---- Ruby Princess 1/23/14~W. Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 9/25/14 ~ Princess Cay --- Regal Princess 11/6/14 ~ Caribbean
Regal Princess 11/9/14 ~ E. Caribbean --Norwegian Sky 2/13/15 ~ Bahamas
Regal Princess 4/12/15 ~ Caribbean --- Emerald Princess 3/5/16 ~ Caribbean
Norwegian Getaway 9/2/16 --- Regal Princess 11/27/16~Caribbean
Norwegian Getaway 4/16/17 ~ W Caribbean --- Regal Princess 12/3/17 ~ Western Caribbean
Crown Princess 2/18/18 ~ W Caribbean

SoCal/Maui No Ka Oi
19,920 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by trinitytrees
The fact that venues were full during BOGOF suggests very loudly to me that the offer was extremely popular with guests. The fact that if venues are quiet now adds weight to my thoughts that people were not there for the venue but the offer, and sounds like more guests were happier with the offer than the odd ones who didn't like it.
Not only popular for guests but also for the bar staff because of the 15% tip added to many more drinks than would be sold at that time. And a lower profit margin on many drinks is still more profitable than a quiet bar.

One person was happy to have a quiet & nearly empty bar but that’s not as profitable for Princess & is very disappointing for many passengers. For those who desire solitude that’s possible during most of the day.

A previous post stated that Princess said BOGO$1 was being eliminated due to too many passengers stocking up on drinks which reduced drink purchases later. If that’s true, that’s a valid concern & they’ll evaluate whether HH is still more profitable or not.

I don’t smuggle alcohol but the elimination of the HH could result in more passengers doing it resulting in lower profits.

Statements from Princess say that the HH elimination was done by their F&B department but wonder if it was actually done at the direction of upper management.
St. Augustine, FL
8,113 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by trinitytrees
Agree!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Susan and Chuck
Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away!

CARNIVAL, CUNARD, ROYAL CARIBBEAN, CELEBRITY, PRINCESS, MSC
St. Augustine, FL
8,113 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
I'm taking my adult daughter on her first Princess cruise in April...glad I didn't tell her about HH.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Susan and Chuck
Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away!

CARNIVAL, CUNARD, ROYAL CARIBBEAN, CELEBRITY, PRINCESS, MSC
Land of Bad Comedy
3,725 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by harleysmama
So the BOGO is the only time that we have drinks, because they are to expensive otherwise. Now we will just not drink at all so lost revenue from us.
If you can get everyone on the ship(cruise line) to follow your example, you will see BOGO $1 return. But don’t bet on people following you. Sorry.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Making money is a thinking person’s game.
3,744 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by Steelers0854
I thought the BOGO was great as I’m not a big drinker. But I disagree with this. BOGO was competing with their very profitable beverage plan. Now, even casual drinkers are more likely to get the all included drink package, whatever they are calling it now. I won’t ever get it because I will never drink that much a day, and for me it’s better to take the OBC, but I’m betting they see an increase in sales of the package now.

Always about the bottom dollar unfortunately.
We always buy the wine package, not the all you can drink package and we never will as we are not big drinkers. We also get a mini bar setup in our cabin because of our "elite" status. Maybe that's what's cutting into the profits, too many elites cruising and lots of mini bars to dole out. DH drinks the hard liquor stuff and I trade in the beers and club soda for diet Sprite Zero. We did go to Happy Hour every now and then, but frankly 3:00 pm is a bit too early for us to drink lots of wine. Such a good deal to pass up though.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruises

05/2018 Grand Princess - Alaska

01/2018 Grand Princess - Hawaii
10/2017 Crown Princess - New England
05/2017 Grand Princess - Alaska
02/2017 Grand Princess - Hawaii
11/2016 Royal Princess - Caribbean
10/2016 Caribbean Princess - New England
5/2016 Carnival Legend - Alaska
4/2016 Coral Princess - Panama Canal
2/2016 Ruby Princess - Mexican Riviera
1/2016 Ruby Princess - Hawaii
12/2015 Island Princess - Panama Canal
9/2015 Carnival Miracle - Mexico
5/2015 Golden Princess - Alaska
4/2015 Crown Princess - California Coastal
1/2015 Star Princess - Hawaii
10/2014 Star Princess--Mexico
8/2014 Carnival Imagination--Mexico
5/2014 Star Princess (Alaska)
2/2014 Sapphire Princess--Mexico
11/2013 Grand Princess--Hawaii
8/2013 Carnival Miracle--Alaska
1/2013 Inspiration--Mexico
1/2013 Inspiration (b2b)--Mexico
10/2012 Island Princess (Panama Canal)
10/2010 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
10/2010 Carnival Spirit-b2b--Mexico
1/2010 Carnival Splendor--Mexico
1/2009 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
11/2007 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
1/2004 Diamond Princess--Mexico
11/2003 Carnival Pride--Mexico
12/2002 Carnival Elation--Mexico
1/2001 Carnival Elation--Mexico
5/2000 Carnival Elation--Mexico
1986 - RCCL Song of America--Caribbean
1984 - RCCL Song of Norway-
-Caribbean
720 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Thrak
Rather than calling simply send an email to: [email protected]

They do read all the email that goes to that address.
Thanks for sharing the email address, Thrak. I just fired off an email to customer relations letting them know we're unhappy with this latest decision.

Jan
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:

Royal Princess - East Caribbean Treasure - November 17, 2018
Royal Princess - 49 Day South America Grand Adventure - February 2, 2019
Golden Princess - Australia - Northern Explorer - April 8, 2020

3,744 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by billco
You can always find a table for two or get there early enough to rearrange the seats to where you don't run the risk of having to talk to anyone. DH and I enjoy meeting new people and having a chat with them for an hour. I don't feel obligated at all for anything. May as well not show up if you run the risk of talking to someone or being chatty.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruises

05/2018 Grand Princess - Alaska

01/2018 Grand Princess - Hawaii
10/2017 Crown Princess - New England
05/2017 Grand Princess - Alaska
02/2017 Grand Princess - Hawaii
11/2016 Royal Princess - Caribbean
10/2016 Caribbean Princess - New England
5/2016 Carnival Legend - Alaska
4/2016 Coral Princess - Panama Canal