[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:04 PM.
Long Island, New York
513 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Hello,
I'm booked on a Princess cruise in Asia, and have been looking at the shore excursions offered. A number of them include an elephant ride. It sounds both exciting and scary to me. But I'm mainly wondering about the ethics involved. Is this hard on the elephants? Are they treated well? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has knowledge of this subject. Thank you in advance.
Las Vegas, Nv
155 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by DaisyRose
Hello,

I'm booked on a Princess cruise in Asia, and have been looking at the shore excursions offered. A number of them include an elephant ride. It sounds both exciting and scary to me. But I'm mainly wondering about the ethics involved. Is this hard on the elephants? Are they treated well? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has knowledge of this subject. Thank you in advance.

PLEASE don’t ride any elephants.

A new report by World Animal Protection titled Taken For A Ride says that 3 in 4 elephants in tourist entertainment venues around Asia are living in poor, unacceptable welfare conditions.

Read this website.

https://mashable.com/2017/07/07/elep.../#RPXtuOox1gqo

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

Holland America
Royal Caribbean
Carnival
NCL
Holland
894 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Hello,
Being a bit suspicious about elephant rides is entirely justified. Elephants are "tamed" (a better word would be "tortured") to allow people to ride them. Elephants are different from horses. I hope they also offer tours that bring you close to elephants in the wild, which I know is an experience that you will never forget
Las Vegas, Nv
155 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by AmazedByCruising
Being a bit suspicious about elephant rides is entirely justified. Elephants are "tamed" (a better word would be "tortured") for them to allow people to ride them. Elephants are different from horses. I hope they also offer tours that bring you close to elephants in the wild, which I know is an experience that you will never forget

I totally agree about being tortured. If she saw how the elephants are so-called tamed, it would make her sick.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

Holland America
Royal Caribbean
Carnival
NCL
Los Angeles Ca.
5,659 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Wild animals belong in the wild. As long as inconsiderate people are willing to pay, people without a conscience will continue to capture and exploit these animals.
South Carolina
30,278 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Our friends have a picture of them on an elephant.
They thought the one they rode was well taken care of. It was a larger one and given a rest of 20 minutes between each ride.
Seems some operators take better care of their elephants than others.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)
California
5,451 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
No, don’t do it, then one day they will have to reconsider offering this type of excursion if nobody partakes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Holiday 1992;
RCCL Monarch of the Seas 1994;
Celebrity Infinity 2001;
Star Princess 2003;
Diamond Princess 2004, 2005;
Sapphire Princess 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011;
Emerald Princess 2008;
RCCL Mariner of the Seas 2010;
Golden Princess 2003, 2007, 2011;
Celebrity Equinox 2013, 2014;
Grand Princess 2014, 2016;
Regal Princess 2015, 2016, 2017;
Mediterranean 12-night cruise 10/07/15:
RCCL Vision of the Seas;
(Barcelona, Cannes, Florence , Rome,
Salerno, Athens, Santorini, Kusadasi, Turkey, and back to Barthelona)
Next Up:
Celebrity Equinox 10/06/17 10-day ABC Islands, all-inclusive steal of a deal 🍸

Celebrity Silhouette 4/08/18 Eastern Caribbean, all-inclusive steal of a deal
Royal Princess 2019, West Coast, Mexico 🇲🇽
Long Island, New York
513 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Thank you all who replied. I wondered if the elephants were treated poorly, and now I know. We won't be choosing an excursion that includes riding on elephants.
UK
583 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Please, DON'T do any Shore Excursion involving riding elephants - it is cruel. We agree with the people who have genuine concern for the welfare of animals. For verification, the animal protection society of the country the excursion is offered in will provide the "truth". It is heartbreaking. We have the power to change this. All animals have feelings...............
Holland
894 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by vegasgal47
I totally agree about being tortured. If she saw how the elephants are so-called tamed, it would make her sick.
I'm not in the PETA league, not even vegetarian. I've never been on a Princess cruise, but HAL and X couldn't stop telling me how much they cared for the environment and sea life and whatnot. I guess Princess is no different as it's a sister to HAL. Trust arrives on foot and leaves on horseback. I wonder what genius decided that there was some money to be made by allowing this kind of shorex.
Las Vegas, Nv
155 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Thank you all who replied. I wondered if the elephants were treated poorly, and now I know. We won't be choosing an excursion that includes riding on elephants.

I thank you and the elephants thank you!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Holland America
Royal Caribbean
Carnival
NCL
Holland
894 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Thank you for wondering, and thank you for bringing your business elsewhere!
Long Island, New York
513 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
It's wonderful that so many of us can share our knowledge and help others make good informed choices. Thank you again to all who responded.
101,126 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
I have to admit several years ago we road one in Thailand.

Today I would not do it because of the World Animal Protection report which I read a few weeks ago.

Keith
Sacramento
511 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
We would love to go to Thailand on a cruise or even a land trip someday. One thing we originally wanted to do was ride an elephant. After reading how they were tortured, we decided that wouldn't be appropriate. We think we'll go to an elephant sanctuary instead, where they are well cared for and we can at least observe them closer and learn more about their habits. No riding though...
1,881 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Hello,
Have you ever ridden a horse or donkey? It’s no different except larger.
Elephants are used as work animals in Thailand, and are use to humans riding them. They are treated humanely.
How much do you weigh and do you have any medical conditions?
You should have nothing to worry about. I’ve done it many times.
Enjoy your ride.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
La dolce vita!
Non mancarmi di rispetto, ragazzo! Lo ti ucciderò!

Cheshire, UK
821 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
I did it, but wanted to get off as soon as I got on. Would never do it again and am ashamed that I even considered this excursion. Don’t do it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life is like a book, if you don't travel, you only read the first page