Princess 1820 club and kids

Amdcu93

Hi, this is my first post. We're going on the Grand Princess to Alaska in 11 days.

We have 3 kids, ages 18, 16, and 16. They're all close, and the oldest is shy, very awkward, and really does best around his younger siblings and in their age group. We've been cruising since 2006, and they love the different age clubs Princess has.

This is the first time we've cruised since one of them turned 18. He just turned 18 last month. He's a junior in high school (held back a year).

My questions:

1. Anyone know if there's anyway he'd be allowed to attend the teen club Remix (actually, I think they've renamed it Beach House now)? It says it's for 13-17, but he REALLY doesn't do well when not with his siblings. We're very concerned he'll be bored and miserable for the whole 10 days if his only options are to do 18 and up "adult" things. He'll just watch TV in his room the whole time.

2. I've read they have something called "Club 1820" for his age group, but when I ask Princess about it, they can't even tell me if it will or won't be on this cruise, or what it is, or how we can get him signed up and involved in it.

Can anyone help me with advice on this? I'm really worried that he's going to be left out of groups he'd enjoy, and be miserable and lonely on the trip. He'd do best in Remix with his siblings, but I don't know if they make exceptions. He's a good kid, just wants people he can hang out and do things with. He's not looking to meet girls or drink or gamble. Just wants to make friends and be with his siblings.

Have him bring his HS ID. It MIGHT convince the counselors. Don't be too disappointed if he's not allowed to enter. 18 is considered an adult. Unfortunately he's in an awkward position. One of our DD's had a similar age issue.

Many times the teens use the club house as a meeting point, then go around the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Teen club activities are only in the evening. When my kids were that age, the really only went the first night to meet people, and then rarely went back. Teens tend to find each other and do their own thing during the day, whether it is swimming, sports court, or just hanging out in the buffet eating everything in sight. Your oldest will be able to hang out with the younger ones and any friends they make, just not at the evening teen club activities.

Our daughter turned 18 about 4 months before our 2012 cruise on the Star and she wasn't allowed in the teen club with a younger sibling. Nor was our 12 year old, who was totally bored with what they had to offer for his age group. So the two of them stuck with us, while middle child enjoyed himself at the teen club.

If there are a sufficient number in that group you may see a "Club 18-20 Get Together" listed in the Patter for the first night onboard. I have only heard once of further organized activities for that group later in the cruise; I imagine it would require a high turnout the first night--and the assessment by the cruise staff that some effort is warranted to keep them away from venues offering adult beverages.

But yes, I have heard of the Teen Club allowing those still enrolled in high school to participate even after their 18th birthday. More and more kids are turning 18 very early in their senior year thanks to the number of school districts requiring first graders to turn 6 sooner and sooner after the start of school or else be held back a year.

But as others have cautioned, I would not go in with any expectations; all you can do is show his high school ID during registration and hope for the best.

Edited by fishywood

I'm a parent who has gone through the process of my older kid aging out of the teen club. I agree with those who think Princess will be strict about the age rules. The kids who actually participate in the teen club tend to skew younger anyway with more 13-14 year olds than 16-17 year olds. To you, your son is a shy, awkward good kid -- and I'm sure he is. But to the parents of the 13 year olds in the club, they will probably just see a legal adult.

My experience was that there were listings in the Patters for Club 1820 on my 2014 Christmas cruise to the Mexican Riviera, but not for my 2015 Baltic cruise. That makes sense if you think about it from the perspective of the cruise director staff, because a week long Christmas cruise will have many more in that age group. Assuming you strike out on getting him permission to participate in the teen club, then I would suggest talking to someone on the CD staff (preferably have your son do the talking) about listing a meet and greet in the patters for his age group.

But yes, I have heard of the Teen Club allowing those still enrolled in high school to participate even after their 18th birthday.

I hope not. This would open up a huge legal issue for Princess.

I would sure have not wanted an adult in with my children. :(

Call Princess and ask them the ages of all the children on board. Tell them that you have an 18 YO and wonder if you could get those numbers as well. They will for sure give you the kids numbers (insist if they say they can't) and then hope for the best on the 18 YO front.

• 3 months later...

Wow. It's been quite a while since i checked out any of that stuff for young folks. Quite a change from the last time I looked! All of those areas are "off limits" when onboard so I had no idea Princess had changed so much stuff.

2. I've read they have something called "Club 1820" for his age group, but when I ask Princess about it, they can't even tell me if it will or won't be on this cruise, or what it is, or how we can get him signed up and involved in it.

It may be better to discuss in person with the Princess staff onboard about your son's situation. May be worth trying.

• 10 months later...

Disney got into a situation with potential legal ramifications when they allowed an "adult" into the teen area. After that incident, they implemented a strict policy that as of the 18th birthday, the teen was out of the programming. At that point, most other cruise lines adopted a similar policy. Bottom line, they are not going to allow an 18 year old into the teen area on Princess.

As to the 1820 club...a meeting will be announced in the Patter, typically on the first night if there are people on board who fall into that group. IF they get attendance at that get together, they will plan activities throughout the cruise. If 0-2 people show up, they may try it one more time before they kill the idea for that cruise. We had one cruise where daughter was the only one to show up (with the cruise staff member) on two consecutive nights....end of that idea.