Princess shuttle to Christchurch

adstz

Anyone been to Akaroa recently with Princess? I was wondering what the price for the shuttle to Christchurch is.

I have been looking at a tour company, Viator, and trying to decide if it is worth the price or should I wait til on the ship and book with Princess. Viator wants $75.00 USD for 2, round trip. Would get 9:30 am to 4:30 pm ship to ship. This leaves us a few hours in Christchurch itself.

Princess doesn't have a shuttle to Christchurch, but they do run a shore tour. It is about two hours' drive (each way). When you go ashore at Akaroa there will be a private tour to Christchurch offered.

Unless you have a particular reason to go to Christchurch, I wouldn't recommend it. As you probably know, the centre of the city was devastated by an earthquake. The last time we were there, no reconstruction had taken place. Buildings have either been removed leaving an empty space, or they are fenced off. The tour that includes a visit to the Antarctic centre is probably worth it because you go there, then have some time on your own in the centre of the city. Because there isn't much to see (except a lot of empty lots and some damaged buildings) it doesn't take long. The gardens and the River Avon are still there.

I live in Christchurch and I can assure that a lot of progress in the rebuild has occurred. In the past month 2 large shopping malls in city have opened including stores such as H & M. Sure there are still empty spaces but the centre is a hive of activity. A decision has just been made to restore the Cathedral.

Sent from my iPad using Forums